Thursday 24 July 2008

Schrodinger's clothes

We've embarked on the long, slow cruise of the summer holidays. No, not a cruise. More like a spell on a desert island and endless repetition - Robinson Crusoe crossed with Groundhog Day.

Every so often, as if in a dream, I pick up armfuls of dumped possessions, convey them to another room for sorting, then redistribute them. There are shoes (always single, never in pairs); discarded exercise books, small plastic toys, nail polish, invariably missing the lid.

But worst of all are the clothes.

Schrodinger's cat was a theoretical beast locked, unseen, in its box, awaiting a randomly administered blast of strychnine. Because unseen, to the observer it was both simultaneously alive and dead.

But that was just the beginning. My, children, whose undoubted talents as theoretical scientists have yet to be fully appreciated, have evolved this principle into a modus vivendi that is providing endless family entertainment.

I am surrounded by Shrodinger's clothes. We have Shrodinger's hoodies, shirts and trousers. All are simultaneously both clean and dirty. They curl up on chairs like sleeping cats. They lurk behind curtains like burglars. They coil on stairs like pre-diet serpents.

The nub of the matter is that they are too clean to be added to the dirty laundry baskets that I have provided in such liberal quantities that they adorn every corner of the house like art installations. But they are also too dirty to be put away.

Of course, there are exceptions. You can't have Shrodinger's socks - or pants - at least in our house. Their status - always fully dead, often for some time - proclaims itself a mile off.

But with the rest it's science, experimental bloody science all the way.

And my maternal treat is to enjoy those few moments of their unique dual-natured, clean and dirty state before I pick them up and yell, like a fishwife, for my darling little physicists to get down the stairs, now!, and come and clear them away. Or else. And what that 'else' is, only Shrodinger knows.

9 comments:

Anna said...

Good grief, I had almost - almost - stopped checking your blog, but couldn't quite bring myself to it - such happy memories of snorting at your cynical witticisms. And all of a sudden - you're back back back! It's made my evening.

Cath said...

This sounds familiar. Roll on September.... (or maybe you aren't so keen since you are now Sasha free. What's worse - Sasha or Schrodinger clothes? Might be a close call...)

Omega Mum said...

Anna: Thanks so much for your touching though definitely misplaced enthusiasm. It's all for you, you know...

Crazycath: ..but what would I blog about if Sasha deserted me?

I Beatrice said...

I know them so well, Schrodingers' Clothes!

They are the pile of ironing that hangs around do long that in the end there's nothing to do with the damned stuff but bung it in the washing machine again. After which, out it comes, and the whole cycle begins all over again.

They are also the black binbag in the corner of the bedroom. The one that obscures the bottom of the mirror, and contains all those clothes you never wear, and never will again, but somehow can't quite bring yourself to put out for the people collecting for old horses...

Or old people, it amounts to much the same thing. Mind you, it comes as quite a jolt to me these days to be asked to put out stuff for Help the Aged. I'm the Aged myself after all - and I don't want any old pile of someone else's Schrodingers' Clothes!

It's so GOOD to have you back.

I Beatrice said...

Good Lord - just looked at Schrodinger again, and realise I gave him a plural apostrophe in my comment! Perhaps you'll be clever (or kind) enough to edit it for me before it goes out?

Waffle said...

The correct places for Schrodingers Clothes (and I LOVE that formula by the way. I have mountains of them too and now I know what to call them) are:
- draped over a chair in bedroom
- on the towel rail
- laid out carefully on the floor in a humanoid shape, it you are my (non)husband.

Muslin Mummy said...

lol....well, my little one is only 4 months so none of that yet, but my husband sounds as bad as your little "physicists" :)

The Margin Wight said...

I have to laugh at your characterization of laundry. At our house, My Beloved is beset with schrodinger's clothes, and I can't wait to run home and give her the news. We do not have the blessing of so many laundry baskets as you describe, but we have a couch in the vicinity of the washer/dryer, which serves as a breeding ground for schrodinger's clothes. It is there that they slowly ripen from clean to something less than clean, and then migrate back into the laundry cycle, sometimes still folded, which sends My Beloved through the metaphorical roof. Well, at least we can put a better name to it than "You d--n kids better take care of your laundry!"

Omega Mum said...

IB: I tried and tried to edit out the aposprophe but blogspot clearly believes in the sanctity of original work and wouldn't let me so have posted the whole lot. If you strongly object, I will delete it (and this comment) but I didn't want to get rid of all of yours, which seemed to be the only option. Can you ever forgive me?

Jaywalker: Good luck with them. I'm told a flamethrower can work wonders, though it's a bit all or nothing as an approach.

muslin mummy: You'll probably be a natural when it comes to coping and will never have a problem.

the margin wight: Well, if you've established the breeding ground, you should be able to destroy it now. It's the only way, you know.