Wednesday 29 October 2008

Mothers, daughters and colour coding

"This really isn't what I call a mother and daughter shopping trip," says Beth, staring round the packed shelves.

"What's wrong with it?" I say. "There's more things than you can shake a stick at. And that's what it's all about. Things. Looking at them. Trying them on. Laughing at ourselves. A rare moment of inter-generational togetherness."

"No offence," she says, "but somehow, when you said 'let's hit the shops,' I wasn't thinking Oxfam."

"You're striking a blow againsy rampant materialism," I say. "Be proud. This is the first of many sub prime shopping trips. And it's my treat. I've got two pounds in small change in my pocket, and I'm not afraid to dig deep into it."

"Too kind," says Beth. "Well, I suppose I could look at the books."

She wanders off.

Meanwhile, as I run my eyes up and down the shelves, not letting them settle for two long lest somebody sticks a price tag to the iris and tries to flog them, I can't help overhearing the conversation between two other customers.

Their conversation sounds completely normal. But it is also extraordinary because it is completely lacking in inflection; so flat, so unaccented that it is as if they have learnt their words by heart before they came out and are now acting their lines in public but without any real feeling for the words.

"Isn't that nice? It's not too tight on my bottom, is it?"

"I think we might nearly have spent our money..."

"That would look nice, wouldn't it, on a hot summer's day?"

The smaller of the two women has a neat bob of black hair surrounding the tiniest of faces, a downturned mouth. She utters her lines in a vaguely nasal voice that is lacking all conviction. I listen, avidly.

"What does this look like?"

"You could wear it in the winter...."

"It's a bit big. I'd have to put poppers on it. What do you think?"

There's no sequence, no conclusion, no continuity. I am surrounded by their words, pushing my way through them like somebody in a snowstorm when Beth, fortunately, reappears.

"Come and see the books," she hisses and drags me to the back of the shop.

The books look - odd, somehow but, like the conversation I've just overheard, it's hard to pinpoint exactly why that should be.

Then - "Do you see?" says Beth. "Look at the way they've been arranged."

I look again and see that she's right. The books haven't been arranged by topic - Crime, Fiction, Biography; nor by author, alphabetically. Instead, somebody has painstakingly organised them by colour.

There are five shelves of books with white spines. Another three or four with dark blue or black spines. Other colours take their place in a rainbow like display between them. It's magnificent. It's striking. And, unless you happen to know exactly which colour your favourite authors are published in, it's almost completely hopeless.

We admire it for a while, then leave, empty handed.

"You see," I say. "That was very good for us both. What about Princess Alice next time. I hear they do a great line in almost matching lampshades?"

9 comments:

Alice said...

I'd love to go to that Oxfam. We rearranged our DVDs (all five shelves) by colour over the summer and we haven't looked back! So pretty. :) Though a disheartening number of white or black spined cases, most of which ended up hidden behind the TV.

Omega Mum said...

Hi, Alice. Welcome to the blog. Clearly I am missing something here. I accept that it looks lovely but how do you find your cds - or do you already know what colour they all are? And, if so, when did you find time to memorise them?

Omega Mum said...

Sorry. I mean DVDs, not CDs, though presumably the same rule applies?

Iota said...

Categorisation is in the eye of the beholder.

Omega Mum said...

Iota: I hadn't quite appreciated the decorative side of categorisation. I now realise how wrong I was. And what do I know, anyway, living as I do on the random piles of unsorted crap side of life.

Anonymous said...

I was at university with a girl who arranged her books by colour. Worryingly, she is now a labour MP.

And then there's the man who isn't my father-in-law. He arranges his in the order in which they were written. Not divvied up by subject or author. Oh no. The order they were written. In a straight line on the floor. Right through the house. Like the Greenwich Meridian.

And then there's the bloke I read about who arranges his CDs according to who his girlfriend was at the time that he bought them.

And you would not believe the number of people who arrange their books by size.

Er.

Is it odd of me to collect these things?

In book-shops my favourite is the Red Cross bookshop on the Bath Road in Cheltenham. It has neat labels on all its shelves saying "True Crime" and "Fiction" and "History" and things like that. The top shelf has a label saying "Top Shelf". That's where the erotica is.

Another great post, Omega Mum.

A/B

Omega Mum said...

Aphra Benn: It is perfectly normal to collect all these things. It is also fascinating. Thank you. So if I arrange my objects by colour, could I be fast-tracked as a parliamentary candidate? Or a colour me beautiful consultant. Possibly both, perhaps.

Alice said...

It looks lovely, and I generally remember what colour my favourite DVDs are. Also, we own alot of boxsets, so you can see easily what things are, even though they are not alphabetical.

Before we arranged them by colour, they wre organised chronologically, by the time they are set in, with modern day arranged according to the age of the main characters.

We don't have communal CDs, and I don't own many myself. The are faintly organised by how often I listen to them. I have arranged my books by colour in the past, but I prefer to sort m genres out, mostly because my sci-fi shelf is very pretty! (Though I do arrange them by size within each category.)

Omega Mum said...

Alice - I am impressed though also a tad scared by your commitment to organising your life by colour. When you get to my age and level of nastiness, fortunately you get to see everything through a permanent red mist of rage - rendering colour coding lovely but a bit marginal.