Monday 2 March 2009

No great shakes

Teaching music offers many things, but nothing in greater profusion than opportunities to wonder when it was exactly that you accidentally swapped your life with some sad, middle-aged git with an infinite capacity for self-abasement.

And, look, here's one of those opportunities right now.

I am sitting on newspaper in the school hall. In my hand is a packet of dried mung beans. By my feet are several tupperware containers and a smallish child.

We're on what these days is called a learning journey. Normally my learning journeys begin or end in a pub. Preferably both. Not today, though. Today, I am encouraging child A to meander through a landscape dominated by the creative and exciting sounds made using said beans and tupperware containers.

The idea is that I do this without in any way attempting to influence the process This is so I can observe Child A's creative play, record it and tick off another box on the form.

Ten minutes later, we're still sitting there. Child A is now holding the packet of beans in one hand, the tupperware in another and looking at them with the air of someone who would rather be somewhere else, which makes two of us.

I point to the tupperware, then the beans and, through the medium of mime, suggest that Child A attempts to unite both.

Child A eventually takes the hint. A few minutes later, beans are cascading into the tupperware and being swilled about.

"What are you doing?" I ask, brightly.

"I'm shaking. I shake it," says Child A. For truthful responses, it couldn't be bettered. With that level of accuracy, it's a witness protection programme in the future, for sure.

"And what sort of sound are you making?"

"A shaking sound."

"Does it remind you of anything?" I ask. Child A pauses. Outside, rain drums down making, to my mind, a sound remarkably similar to that of dried beans falling rapidly on to plastic.

Child A looks blank. I walk to the window and look out as the rain, heavier now, droplets strikingly mung-bean sized, cascades down the windows. I lean suggestively towards the playground.

Child A looks, if anything, blanker, but with a possible undercurrent of terror.

"OK......What about popcorn. Do you like popcorn?" I ask, desperately, abandoning all attempts to avoid leading questions. "Popcorn makes a sound when it pops, doesn't it? And I like clapping, Don't you. All those loud claps....lots of clapping."

We both lapse into silence. I sense that one of us is about to call for help. I am worried that it might be me.

"So does that sound remind you of anything?" I ask, as beans and plastic reunite in a flourish of rain, popcorn and applause-like sounds.

"Shaking," says Child A.

"That's great," I say. "Probably time to go back to the classroom, now."

Repressing a sobbing sigh, I draw a line through my notes and wonder if the next class will care, or even notice, if I'm curled up under the piano, clinging to the sustain pedal and sobbing my heart out over a spilled packet of mung beans

8 comments:

Cath said...

Sometimes the hoops WE have to jump through are ridiculously shaped. Never mind the height the hurdles are set for the children....

Hang on to that sustain pedal. :)

Irene said...

Well, stop clinging to the piano. You didn't have an overly bright and imaginative child there. It wasn't your fault, honest! Unless they are all like that. Then you and the school have a huge problem.

Omega Mum said...

Hi, Cath. Like the pic. Am holding on to sustain pedal right now. It's like a comfort blanket only, well, sort of metallic and....hard.

Finely Tuned Woman: Now I'm confused. Cath says cling, you say let go. I'm between neuroses here.

Mya said...

I'm sure it wasn't you. It was the child. Perhaps you should be grateful they didn't say anything more disturbing, like, 'it sounds like the dashing of a million playschooler's brains against the unforgiving rock of ludicrous educational policy.' Or something.
Good luck with it,and keep clutching that sustain pedal.
Mya x

Frog in the Field said...

Stay right where you are, I'm on my way with a rescue remedy (a medium bodied cabernet Shiraz).

Iota said...

I told you NOT to get me started on this.

Husband is a philosophy prof (did I ever tell you that?), and if given half the chance (or much less than half, actually), he will tell you that the reason our culture is so obsessed with measuring and recording things is all the fault of the Enlightenment.

Luckily for you, he is beavering away, philosophising hard, to try and put it right.

It seems to me that so much of life is to do with pointless measuring and assessing and recording, that it is just a shame that education is the worst culprit. That should be the one place where you are safe from it all. How will we breed a nation of free-thinkers otherwise? Alas. I am so naive.

Anonymous said...

Have you never clung to the piano before, it offers support by the bucket load. Working with small children can have its disadvantages can't it. But they are cute.

CJ xx

Unknown said...

I think I understand your frustration. I'm a stay at home mom and try to nurture my daughter (and son when he gets home from school) My daughter is one of the brightest 2 year olds I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with and she knows it. So when something she really doesn't care about sneaks past her we both get frustrated.

It sounds like the kid you were working with needs more than just a little personal attention at school. Sadly our school systems are very lacking and that saddens me. I applaud you for trying to make it a better place for the children any way you can.

As far as the piano pedal? Some days you just gotta let go and some days all you can do is hang on for dear life. Stay strong and know that just by caring and trying you are helping and inspiring. *hug*