Wednesday 12 March 2008

Good Work

"And what's that noise?" asks Sasha, as the school wends it way, rather fussily, into the hall.

"It was me - I was just re-arranging the class." says Mary, the assistant, implying that with just a little work, she could transform the children into an attractive table decoration.

"The children shouldn't NEED rearranging," says Sasha. Mary looks downcast.

"I can see this is going to be a cold prickly day instead of a warm fuzzy one," adds Sasha, before launching into a lecture about the 'Good Work' sticker system which some of the children who are clearly aiming for starring roles as Heroes of the Resistance have started to subvert.

Get a good work sticker from a teacher and you get a warm fuzzy symbol stamped on your card. Get twenty warm fuzzy stamps and a giant warm fuzzy symbol bearing your name and photograph is stapled to a board in the hall. And.....er....that's it. But so keen are some of the children on reaching the hall of fame that they've taken to shortcutting the process, buying the same Good Work stickers as the school's and giving them to each other at playtime, then appearing for lessons like heavily decorated war veterans and causing the Warm Fuzzy board to fill up so quickly that a second is having to be pressed into service.

"Was that you, curled in a foetal position on top of the ukuleles in the cupboard under the stairs, suppressing a primal scream?" I ask Mary, after a long fifteen minutes in which counterfeit Good Work sticker wearers are taken outside to be stoned to death with Cold Pricklies.

"No," she says.

In that case, it must have been me. I wondered who it was.

11 comments:

molly gras said...

Whoa! Those little buggers are smart! That sounds like the kind of deviousness that runs amok over here in American schools - heck, that's the kind of behavior we expect to see in all of of our future CEO's, mortgage lenders and politicians.

Irene said...

Ha, ha ,ha, you are so much fun in your own silly, sometimes a little bit sad, way.

I can hear your silent primal scream and picture you in the cupboard, though I don't have the foggiest idea what you look like. On top of the ukuleles no less.

I always save your blog for last, because I want to end my blog reading session with a good laugh and you very rarely disappoint me.

In the Netherlands we say, "The humor lies in the streets," but you know that is not true and it must be found carefully and prudently.

You have found the source and are distributing it with care and caution. Good for you!

DJ Kirkby said...

I am constantly left sick with envy over how well you write...can't stop reading your blog though, might miss something!

Kelly Innes said...

I could do with a 'good work' sticker...don't care how I come about it. Perhaps the kids would flog me one?

Mya said...

So, what do I have to do to get one of these good work stickers? Do a Pete Townsend with the ukeleles? (ie, smash them to smithereens...over Sasha's head, possibly? What do you think?)
And what are you doing with a cupboard full of ukeleles anyway? It's wreckless - have you no regard for your sanity?

Mya x

Cath said...

I also am sick with envy at how you write! Turning such frustration into irony - brilliant.

And the kids will always find a shortcut. Oh yes.

Casdok said...

Sanity! Whats that!!

Iota said...

That's why I could never be a teacher. I would want to give stickers to those kids who showed subversive tendencies like not really giving a toss about whatever reward system the school had invented, or the entrepreneurial ones who found the shop where you could buy identical stickers and then sold them to the other kids at a profit. My stickers would say "I'll go far" on them.

Omega Mum said...

Molly Gras: I am quite sure they will all go far, especially if any of them are re-selling them at a profit

Sweet I: Tears of a clown and all that...

DJ: It's very kind, but you do extremely well yourself, you know.

Kelly: Have one on me. It's enormous and very, very pink.

Mya: Didn't I tell you? - I've put your picture in the hall already with a slab of Dairylea next to it. You scored the jackpot then.

Crazy cath: Glad you enjoyed it.

Casdok: Was rather hoping you'd tell me

Iota: You can subvert any system from within. Look at me - do I sound like a real teacher?

softinthehead said...

What's the world coming to?! We would never have had the gumption in my day. We were pathetic!

Omega Mum said...

softinthehead: Children are certainly more advanced. Nice to see you here.