Sunday 16 March 2008

You, me and Martha the sardine

Francis has recently returned from a solo trip to Cyprus where he has delivered a stirring speech to 1,500 delegates about the virtues of sardines.

"Were they moved?" I ask.

"The delegates - definitely. There's a wealth of emotion in Omega 3 if you know how to tap it. If you mean the sardines, I think so, but it's hard to tell what their little fishy faces are expressing. Though I'm working on it. 'Read your sardine's mind,' could be a surprise Christmas best seller if I play my cards right."

Overwhelmed, as he always and touchingly is to see his lovely family again, he says, "We never go on proper holidays as a family."

"We do," I say. "Just not together, except when we're visiting your parents."

"I think it would be good for us," he says, looking as misty-eyed as a sardine with conjunctivitis (or so I imagine - the scientific research to back this up lags way behind).

"Why don't we have lunch and think about it," I say. "Deborah, can you call the others and tell them the meal is ready."

Deborah, who is in the kitchen with us, raises her head from her drawing, yells, "Beth, Leo - FOOD," at the top of her voice and then, satisfied with this tangible contribution to family communication, lowers it again and carries on writing 'Kill, kill, kill,' next to a picture of an amiable-looking farmer.

"Deborah," I say, "I can shout, too."

"Well, why make me do it, then?" she says.

"That's not the point. I need you to go out of the room, find them, tell them it's food and make sure they've heard you."

"Oh, all right," she says, disgusted, and gets up.

Ten minutes later, Leo saunters in. We are all eating. "If you're this late again," I say, "I'm going to give your food away."

"Who are you going to give it to?" he asks, interestedly.

"The poor."

"What did the poor ever do for you?" he says.

I look at Francis. "You know," he says, pouring us both a glass of wine. "What say we try and go away together, leaving the children and homicidal thoughts at home."

"What about the sardines?" I ask.

"I've met a particuarly attractive one called Martha who I thought we could just scoop up on the way but - oh, hell, no. No sardines, either."

"Oh, all right then," I say. I'd like to blush prettily at this point but, raddled old hag that I am, simply rush upstairs, apply blusher lavishly to my cheeks, the bath, the cat and a couple of residual slugs. Sporting my new Deaths Head meets Maybelline look I rush downstairs again.

Francis looks at me, then away. "Oh, Martha, my love," I think I hear him mutter, as he fetches a second helping. But there again, perhaps not.

20 comments:

Casdok said...

I will never look at a tim of sardine's in the same way again!

Omega Mum said...

Just be careful, Casdok. Because if Martha is in there, she may not be quite dead, yet. Think Sean of the Dead and you'll be there.

Irene said...

My son and I use to call each other Martha and Jonathan, but for the life of me I can't remember why we did this.

Anyway, as Martha and Jonathan, we would have very melodramatic dialogs and we became collectively known as Marathon.

The kid had your sense of humor!

DJ Kirkby said...

Lol...we must be related, this sounded scarily like my family...

Mya said...

I like sardines - but they are definitely one of those foods you have to be in the mood for. I'm not sure I'd welcome one called Martha staring back at me from the tin, mouthing fish gibberish. Does Francis have an opinion on the most successful sardine suspension? I favour olive oil over sunflower, but horses for courses, fishes for dishes and all that. I think I'm going to go now -I'm beginning to irritate myself.

Mya x

Potty Mummy said...

I can highly recommend leaving the children at home. Though the presence of a sardine may change the dynamic a little...

Cath said...

I've changed my mind about Francis.
A break away from the kids?
Good man! Sod the sardines. And Martha.

And my kids do like yours re yelling for dinner. So glad I am not alone...

Brillig said...

Hahahahahaha. Yes, leave the kids and the sardines. And... uh... you might wanna leave the Maybelline behind to...

Frog in the Field said...

The yelling must happen in every house at mealtimes. Your children sound pefectly normal, scary isn't it?
We too, rarely all holiday together, at the same time, in the same place.

Anonymous said...

I love your family stories !
As regards sardines... I hate fish.

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

My kids used to do the yelling for me too. Have you been away? Is that the explanation for the absence of blogs?

Mya said...

Right...I'm getting worried now...has Martha sealed you into a sardine tin? Are you, at this very moment, crying out for help from the tinned fish shelves in Sainsburys? You know I'd help if I could...just give the call and I'll be there in a flash armed with my electric tin opener.

Mya x

rilly super said...

a touching man meets fish story omega-3 mum, sob

Stay at home dad said...

Such a simple life - birth, childhood, getting packed into a tin. Happy Easter!

Anonymous said...

I asked my Sort of Step Son Matthew to tell his father that Easter Sunday lunch was ready. He stood at the foot of the stairs and yelled "Dad, it's ready. Bring the Gaviscon".

Motheratlarge said...

Ah, so this is where I've been going wrong on weekends away. Lack of fishy friends. Does Francis work for John West by any chance? Poor man. It sounds thoroughly thankless, anyway. Though it does provide amusement and giggles for the rest of us.

DJ Kirkby said...

I am sure I commented on this. This is a long time with no post form you. Hope you are ok.

I Beatrice said...

Where are you? Not doing a Debio on us, are you?

I do hope all is well.

Cath said...

Hi - You've not been about for a while and comments not posted up. Are you ok?

molly gras said...

*knock *knock *knock

"Is anyone home?! Everything OK over there?!"