Monday 10 March 2008

Half measures

"Have a glass of wine and tell me which bedroom design firm I should go with," says Vicky. "What would you like to drink?"

"Anything as long it's cold and you fish out the sawdust first. You don't think you're getting a bit design obsessed?"

"Of course not. Now listen to this one. "'When we come to create your dream bedroom, closet or home office, we don't start with a tape measure. We start with a cup of tea and a ginger biscuit.'"

We look at each other.

"Is that a boast or a warning? Do you think they've had complaints from customers refusing to let them across the threshhold until they show that they're fully trained to handle asbestos and shortbread selections? And what have they got against tape measures? I mean, have you ever tried to measure a bedroom with a ginger biscuit, let alone a cup of tea?" asks Vicky.

"No," I say, laughing derisively. "Far too soggy. Just the same with Gypsy Creams. Everyone knows that when precision's required, nothing beats flapjacks. Given that they set rock hard you can mark them out in centimetres - though the syrup does tend to absorb the ink after a while. And I'm told that if you weld a couple together, you can even improvise a mitre block. Believe me, Vicky,all the best bedroom designers use them. This lot are clearly massively behind the times when it comes to tool kit biscuit ware. I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole."

"I think you're right," says Vicky, shutting the catalogue with a snap and picking up the next.

"This one sounds more like it. 'We'll talk about what you love, what you hate and what your innermost dreams are for your most personal space.'" She pales and double checks the cover.

"Bloody hell," she says. "You know, for a moment there, I thought I'd got hold of Lindy's list of New Year's resolutions."

10 comments:

Expat mum said...

Bedroom design firm? Just how much stuff does one need in a bedroom? Or am I sadly behind the design times?

Irene said...

This is going to be an ongoing saga, isn't it. Just like the Aga stove? Oh yes, of course, the Aga saga, now I get it, nudge, nudge.

Of course, all of Vicky's design plans are wine induced, so does she still have realistic ideas about what is tasteful and what is really tasteless? She could be easily led astray by some exuberant, frivolous, gay interior designer. Not because he is gay, but because he is frivolous. You know the type!

Luckily, she has you to keep her on the straight and narrow, or at least the less crooked and broad. You will guide her wisely, won't you?

Iota said...

'shutting the catalogue with a snap' - that would be a ginger snap, would it?

DJ Kirkby said...

Erm...you really have marked a flapjack out in cm increments haven't you? You have! Admit it! I have an award over on my 'Exquisite dreams' blog for you.

Casdok said...

Definetly cup of tea and a ginger biscuit or 2!

Omega Mum said...

expatmum: I agree with you, but apparently these companies are doing a roaring trade, presumably for the sort of customers who are surprised by the notion that a bed and some sort of clothes storage space are what's required.

Sweet I: I just need a rhyme for biscuit and I could keep going for weeks, or months. Possibly even years.

Iota: So clever - Wafer go, in fact....or just Nice one.

DJ: I know you do and I came over for it but I got hooked on Wild Hippie instead. Will be back. You're absolutely right about measuring my flapjacks but as nobody will eat them I had to find something else to do with them.

Casdok: Come round and help me finish the packet.

Motheratlarge said...

They're not the people who install horrible fitted wardrobes that hang over the top of the bed so you feel like you're entombed in MDF, are they?

I entertain humble hopes for an ensuite bathroom in my bedroom. But can I persuade my husband? I keep telling him how his bladder hasn't had the pasting in childbirth mine took but even this base emotional blackmail doesn't seem to working.

Cath said...

Hi OM - you made me laugh again! Definitely avoid the tea and biscuit ones. If they spend all the time drinking YOUR tea and eating YOUR biscuits you want a serious discount!

A rhyme for biscuit - can you risk-it?

Great post again. Thanks for the smiles.

Anonymous said...

Garibaldis are the perfect tool for mapping out areas by the way...

softinthehead said...

Of course on this side of the Atlantic it would be a "cookie caper"...... sorry off at a tangent - love the wicked biting sense of humour - so British, I do miss it.