Sunday 9 March 2008

Thin end of the wedgie

"You should have been there," says Vicky.

"Even if I had been, it doesn't sound as if I'd have recognised anyone," I say, "given that you were all wearing the same thing."

"How was I to know the fancy dress place had a glut of Marilyn Monroe outfits?" says Vicky. "Lindy and I left it all till the last minute and decided to go there together and when we arrived, there were only two left. The man eyed us both up and told Lindy she'd need the de luxe version, she asked what extras it came with and he said, 'an extra breast, love, and in your case I'd say it'd come in quite useful.'"

She takes a sip of wine.

"So by the time I'd told Lindy to put him down again and we'd all agreed that doing wedgies on a grown man wasn't funny or clever - though I'm still not totally sure Lindy really believes that - there wasn't really much opportunity for chit chat."

"Go on."

"We arrived at the ball and there were Marilyn Monroes everywhere. You couldn't move for them, though even without the extra breast it wasn't hard to work out where Lindy was. She was working her way round the Elvis Presleys and seeing how far she could pull down the zips on their jumpsuits without catching anything on them, so I could trace her by the yelps. And then I scored."

"You?"

"Not intentionally. I just felt really sorry for this poor old chap. He was all on his own on the dance floor and he told me how sad and lonely his life was - and then he tried to stick his tongue down my throat and another Marilyn tapped me on the shoulder and said she was his wife and would I mind awfully if she took him back and gave him his next lot of pills."

She opens another bottle.

"So we all had a few more drinks, then the taxis started arriving. I found ours but there was no sign of Lindy and I ended up borrowing a torch from the security man and shining it round the grounds until I found her behind a hedge and on top of yet another Elvis, retrieved her and tried to drop her at home but she insisted on coming in for a coffee and a gloat.

"Then she fell asleep diagonally across the kitchen floor and I couldn't shift her. I had to leave her there till morning and both the children fell over her when they came down to get breakfast. She slept all the way through Coco Pops, a full English and freshly squeezed orange juice. And then she got up for a pee and I realised she was wearing bits of an Elvis jumpsuit and almost no Marilyn. And presumably, somewhere out there there's a very confused man in a dress."

8 comments:

Cath said...

Oh that is so funny! You've done it again. My husband thinks I've lost it laughing at a computer screen....pointing as I hold my sides and beckon him to read. Then he doesn't get it. But then this is a female type discussion...

This HAS to be another staff room chat. Go on. It was wasn't it?

Omega Mum said...

Crazycath: V glad you enjoyed it. Bad Lindy is better enjoyed in the retelling than the participation, and I speak, all too horribly, from experience.

Irene said...

Hee, hee, hee, I do laugh and giggle. That Vicky has a mean sense of humor even when I think she isn't trying to be funny, but dead pan serious.

I wonder if it is her reaction to alcohol that makes her so. Does it tickle her funny bone really hard or does it stimulate some uproarious braincells in her less than sober head?

Either way, I think she should do some stand up comedy, or, as my son would have said, some lie down comedy.

Kelly Innes said...

Would you get your money back if you returned a different costume to the one you hired??

You have cheered me immensely on a day when I am helplessly watching all our recycling get blown up and down the street...I shall have to brave the rain at some point t tidy it [sigh]

Casdok said...

Very funny!! :)

Potty Mummy said...

I have this image of Vicky dressed as Steve Irwin hunting for crocodiles in the darkness, picking them out in the swamp with a torch by the reflective gleam of their eyes. Guess who's the crocodile? (And yes, I am clearly watching far too much Discovery Channel...)

Anonymous said...

You can almost imagine the man himself running a mile from a desperate woman.

Crystal xx

Omega Mum said...

Sweet Irene: In her case, lie down comedy only, but I'll tell her. I'm sure she'd be flattered.

Kelly: In this case, no money at all, I'd have thought, though I'll ask and report back.

Casdok: Glad you liked it

Potty Mummy: That's a remarkably unsettling image..

CJ: We don't have to imagine it round here - we get to see it for ourselves.