Friday 2 November 2007

AaarGA 2

"They're taking over and I just can't stop them," wails Vicky, down the phone. "You've got to come and do something."

Five minutes later, I'm in her kitchen, surveying the sea of pink, yellow and chocolate icing that's covering every surface. As I open my mouth to speak, there's the wholesome buzz of an old-fashioned clockwork timer.

"Oh, my God," says Vicky, "It's the next lot."

She pulls on oven gloves, opens the Aga door and pulls out several enormous trays, loaded with buns. "There's nowhere to put them," she says. "And I've run out of muffin tins." She lays them down on the floor and points towards the sink, where baking tins and racks form an ungainly looking pyramid, like a domestic version of the Angel of the North.

"Stop, Vicky," I say. "Sit down. I've brought some wine. I want you to drink it right now."

I pour as I speak. Vicky takes the glass with shaking hands.

"I haven't had a drop of alcohol for days," she says. "Last time I tried, I found myself grinding my own coffee beans instead. And look at that." She gestures to several packets labelled 'Wholemeal organic bread flour.'

"What, home made bread as well?" I ask, amazed.

"Yes. I can't stop myself. And just doing the business with waiting for the dough to rise takes hours. And the children are suffering terribly. They say they can't eat any more cake. They keep leaving stills from the latest McDonalds ads round the house. Yesterday I found them weeping over a picture of nuggets and fries."

We shake our heads sadly.

"I never thought I'd be able to say the word 'traybakes' without laughing. But look at me now."

I do. Her face is perfectly still, apart from a cake crumb that falls like a single tear on to the kitchen table.

"I don't think this one's down to Bad Lindy," I say. "I suspect you may be possessed by Cath Kidston."

"So who do we get to do the exorcism."

"I don't know," I say, looking at the Aga again. "But it may need to be somebody with an arc welder and a Corgi certificate."

14 comments:

Mya said...

What IS a traybake? I've often wondered, but didn't want to show my lack of sophistication. I know you won't care.

Mya x

Omega Mum said...

Mya: I hate to be the one to break this to you - and I only found out from Vicky - but it's a large, shallow baking tray used to make large, shallow cakes cut up to make small portions and iced at will. I think it probably shows greater sophistication not to have known this - well, that's my excuse.

molly gras said...

An arc welder? How easy is it to hire an arc welder in the suburbs of London?

Unfortunately my obnoxious Mary Poppins-like image of that part of the world doesn't play host to the possible existence of arc welders.

Hmmm ... I was just curious.

Anonymous said...

This could have been me today, except I don't use the Aga for baking.

Good luck with the drug for your boy. I'm always a little sceptical myself of taking drugs but if it helps him and he's happy.

Crystal xx

Omega Mum said...

Molly G: Where I am, arc welders are two a penny and considered appropriate and desirable man to wife Christmas and birthday presents.

CJ: I bet you know all about traybakes. I'm with you on the medicine and am actually convinced Leo will get rare heart condition and die as a result - and I will be sentencing him to death with each twist of that child proof cap. Rather hoping I'm wrong on this one, however.

I Beatrice said...

Where are all the Arc Welders when you want them, that's what I want to know?

On second thoughts though, they might get rid of the metal aspects of the thing, and leave the prevailing gremlin behind.

A thought has occurred to me however, which may or may not be helpful.... my Mr P might be worth a try! He seems to have done pretty well in ridding Lady M of her priestly ghost.

He might, on the other hand, consider wayward traybakes beneath the proper level of his consideration...

Still, as they say, it's any hand to the pump when there's a crisis on, so why not have a go!

debio said...

Agas are like children - they enter the household, expensively and with much fanfare, and continually demand attention.

True, an arc welder will will oust the aga-cuckoo from the nest; unsure what the child equivalent might be....

I Beatrice said...

It might amuse you to look at today's 'Social Stereotypes' entitled 'The Church Organist'.

Rather in your present line, I thought - and might bring a little light relief in a time of stress.

Gwen said...

My mum and I spent many a happy hour making traybakes when I was young. That was until the sad day when she realised that eating them was causing her clothes to shrink rapidly. We never made another traybake. It has taken me years to get over the trauma!

The Woman who Can said...

Read in paper that cupcakes are back in fashion. Vicky could be on to something. Niche market, probably.

Potty Mummy said...

There's a simple answer to Vicky's problem; take away her tins. No trays or muffin tins? No tray bakes or fairy cakes. And Paul's do them so much better than we simple home-makers ever could. Her children will thank you...

Unknown said...

Oh I am so impressed! I don't own a single baking pan... of any description!

Omega Mum said...

IB: Oh, Mr P. Vicky's knight. Yes, please. Do send him over.

Debio: They do seem a slightly menacing presence. But you loved yours, didn't you. Or is a relief to be away from its dominating influence. And where are you on traybakes? I feel we should be told.

IB: Am just about to. I have never mastered that foot business with the organ. V much admire anyone who has, though.

Gwen: Judging by your Victoria sponge skills on your own blog, though, I am convinced that traybakes will soon acquire a prominent place once again in your life.

Tina: Cupcake fashion? There's cupcake fashion? We are without doubt going to hell in a handcart, albeit one with crystallised sugar wheels.

Potty Mummy: It's genius. Genius. Well done. Suppose they breed, though? Down the side of the kitchen units?

Snuffles: But I can tell you're quietly proud of it. Rightly so, in my book.

debio said...

Certainly adored my Aga, om; even when not cooking I would stand against it and cook my feet!

I'm a slave to traybakes.....!