Friday 3 August 2007

Glowing in the dark

The word is out in cyberspace. I'm searching for a present for Francis' birthday and every gift site knows it. Like dodgy merchants in a third rate bazaar, they quickly dust off the utterly hopeless non-sellers. Top of the list are the toecovers that combine two totally unrelated functions and lump them together, simply because they can.

There's 'The amazing credit card torch - such a cool gadget you won't be able to put it down for days once it arrives',* though only, I suspect, if it automatically staples itself to your hand when you first unwrap it.

Or what about the 'Ego Boost key ring'*. Press it just before nerve-wracking occasions, such as job interviews and it will deliver such positive, life-affirming statements as 'Wow, I love what you've done with your hair!' - in Francis' case, presumably, referring to his body's successful attempts to shed most of it.

How about the 'Glow in the dark love dice.' *Throw them during those passionate moments and get a random selection of naughty things to do. In the case of the Brits there's doubtless a selection of highly charged eroticism like, 'Remove socks!', 'Close book!' or 'Share boiled sweet!' And it gets rave reviews, too: "Probably the best £3.50 I've ever spent," says Tony from Basingstoke.

I give up in disgust and leaf through a magazine. Then I come across a paragraph that makes me realise that, to misquote LP Hartley, celebrity is a foreign country. One loving spouse has, apparently, paid for a rose to be named in honour of her multi millionaire husband. He, in turn, has taken the logical next step and spent millions on turning the rose's fragrant smell into a mass market scent.

I look out at the scrubby lawn. If there were ever roses the man-eating dandelions saw them off long ago. Still......."Francis Pis en Lit," has a certain ring to it. And with a bit of cross marketing, it's a slogan that lends itself nicely to the 'Glow in the dark love dice,' too.

* = Absolutely genuine quotes, for once.

17 comments:

The Good Woman said...

This sounds like a 'for the man who has everything' catalogue. Which makes him well taken care of, I say! Time for some self-congratulatory bubbly Omega.

Omega Mum said...

the good woman: I wish....! Care to join me?

Motheratlarge said...

You're a good friend to the UK's badly-gifted males, Omega Mum! Useful market research here. No self-respecting man need make do with socks and a book token at Christmas any more after your plunge into the underbelly of presents 'for him'. I confess to a vested interest here, OM, since my husband's birthday approaches fast.

Omega Mum said...

M@L: I love the 'underbelly' - made me laugh. That's just what it is. If you have any more luck than I did, do let me know.

Suffolkmum said...

Ooh, so many ideas, so little time!!

Anonymous said...

And the name of the catalogue is; I could do with some dice, might make a change from the sheep..

Crystal xx

Omega Mum said...

suffolk mum: I'd go for the dice, personally


cj: It was something like 'Gadgets and gizmos,' I think, but I stupidly didn't write it down as so stunned by the selection.

Motheratlarge said...

He's talking wistfully of new parts for his (broken) computer and keeps leaving PC magazines where I might see them. I wanted to buy him something I'd enjoy getting him. Like dinner at a nice restaurant....

Omega Mum said...

M@L: So not a 'glow in the dark love dice' then? You surprise me.

Anonymous said...

screamingly funny. will make gift choosing a whole lot less painful as i browse the internet for inspiration the next time. thanks!

Omega Mum said...

reluctant memsahib: I'd like to think that I've made gift selection just that tiny bit easier all round.

Motheratlarge said...

I could still be open to persuasion.... Live life on the edge, you know.

Omega Mum said...

M@L: Well, if you buy them first, do let me know how you get on.

DJ Kirkby said...

Too hilarious! I will be round demanding some shopping tips closer to Christmas.

Omega Mum said...

DJ: I think we should pool ideas to come up with a toecover of toecovers virtual catalogue.

DJ Kirkby said...

Oooooh lets! How much fun?!

Omega Mum said...

DJ: Let's, then. It could be the catalogue of catalogues.