Wednesday 15 August 2007

A trip on my Freecycle

One of the unusual features of marriage is the way it breeds strongly oppositional points of difference about the most trivial of subjects. They spring fully formed into conversations, enabling you to argue violently in favour of, say, grapefruit rearing, Bolivian egg production or shoulder pads - all subjects on which, as far you know, you had absolutely no views at all until your partner happens to dismiss them with an offhand reference in a way that you find deeply and unexpectedly irritating

Freecycle is just such a topic.

"Look," I say. "Candle wax pellets!"

"What are candle wax pellets?" asks Francis.

"I dunno. Something you get from candles you've never got round to house training? Or what about this? Cuddly toys from a hoardtastic toddler."

"What are you planning?" says Francis. "A make your own fire hazard party? Or a new line in toecovers? I can see the advertising now," he says, sketching a headline in the air. 'Get a wax-coated cuddly toy for Christmas. They're like a Barbour, only useless'."

"Oh, come on," I say. "It's only Freecycle."

Francis rolls his eyes up and goes back to cross-referencing his job applications by interview tie colour. Or something.

I regard Freecycle as a cross between legitimate voyeurism and a 24/7 jumble sale, only without the inconvenience of small talk or draughty church halls. Francis sees it as the latest weapon in my long term campaign to fill the house with tat and see if it topples over once it reaches roof level.

He will never understand what he's missing.

“We found a small dead thing in our shed (too far gone to be sure what it was). This spurred us on to clear out the shed…..” begins a recent Freecycle post, which goes on to offer ''A garden spade, fairly narrow blade, good for digging a small deep hole.......". They'd know this, presumably, because they've just dug one for the small, dead shed thing and buried it.

You get a lot of back stories with Freecycle. It’s all part of the charm. In recent weeks, we've been offered a cot ‘which has been slightly gnawed' (hamsters? babies? a mother sick of bedtime and out of Twiglets?) and a large cream rug which, the owners assure us, is 'woven not tufty' something that might have a significant bearing on its desirability given the fact that it also has 'some stainswhich might come out with washing/dry cleaning - but might not.' Any takers? No? Thought not.

There's no item, however intimate, that people aren't ready to advertise. 'Huge bag of sanitary towels?' Why not. Just think laterally - anyone past the menopause will find them fantastically useful when it comes to organising those last minute games of emergency blind man's buff without a handy scarf. Oh, just use your imagination.

I love Freecycle. In addition to satisfying my raging inner mean, penny-pinching cow, it also makes me feel morally invigorated. It's like an internet version of sale of the century, only one that stretches into eternity, piles of stuff spinning round on an endless virtual carousel, there for the taking.

The touching fondness for their possessions is also noticeable. Who, after all, could resist, “the quality 2.5 seater sofa, too good for the dump, manufactured by upholsterer with a Royal Warrant.”

Not me, for sure. Which is why it’s now adorning our sitting room….Together with the fire basket – OK, it’s a bit rusty, but a good clean up will get it as good as new in no time at all - the recorders, recorder music and miniature scores.........

No wonder Francis is suspending my membership. But we've done a fair bit of giving away things, too, I argue. What about the babyseat, books, glasses, stepladder - all in splendid new homes.

"Nobody wanted the stepladder," he says. "And you had to do a twenty mile round trip to deliver the glasses. That's hardly saving the planet. Think of the fuel consumption."

"That's only because the man who wanted them was over 80, couldn't walk and would have had to take three buses to get here."

He looks round at the firebasket which has the uncanny ability to shed its own weight in rust every day without any significant change in appearance.

"You're obsessed," he says.

"I'm not," I say. But I'm not sure I really believe it.

24 comments:

Erica Douglas said...

Hilarious, you should do a part two on ebay :)

I Beatrice said...

Freecycle - I'm always hearing about it these days. I hear a lot about people who put things in, but have yet to hear anything about anybody actually taking anything out!

By which I suppose I must mean BUY things? (Does anyone ever actually buy anything from Freecycle?) It's all new to me you see. But I'm just about to tot-up, to see how much we might have lost by paying someone to come and take our old things away, instead of sending them to Freecycle.

It has a nice, Alice in Wonderland sort of feel to it aa a matter of fact. A kind-of what-goes-around-comes-around. Like a luggage carousel in perpetual motion. So that sooner or later you must get your own stuff back...

Or have I got it absolutely all wrong?

Omega Mum said...

Erica: Thanks so much

IB: Far be it for me to become a Freecycle propagandist but I think it would be well worth looking at. It's all free. No money changes hands. You sign up via Yahoo Groups (find your local group first - Google to see which it is, if nec) so will need Yahoo email address to post. Then you go for it. Either offer goods, or place a 'wanted' notice, or respond to other offers. Then you decide who gets the booty (if you're offering), make arrangements for collection via email or phone, taking sensible precautions, of course, and Bingo. It is more of an effort in some ways than charity shops etc because you have to hope people will come when they say they will. Overall, though, it's a nice way of doing things. At least, I think so.

Gwen said...

The idea of freecycle is just too tempting for words. I would need only log on and my house would be filled with things I never knew I wanted and actually don't really want but had to take. I may now have to move away from the mouse!

Omega Mum said...

There is junk out there, Gwen, housefuls of it - and it all has your name on it. Can you turn down the challenge?

Motheratlarge said...

After I read your first paragraph out loud just now, my husband has informed me that I'm quite wrong in my views on that most important of subjects: Bolivian egg producers (such dubious free trade credentials, then there are the links to corrupt dictators, not to mention mysterious pestilential, tropical disease). But of course were an outsider to challenge us on this important subject, we would band together with stunning unanimity.

Omega Mum said...

M@L: I have taken to doing a quick marriage test on married couples. It's terribly intrusive but if you're quick, they never quite realise it's happening. I wanted to know if we were the only ones who could go from nought to poles apart within seconds. It seems to be a universal ability. Bolivian egg production is always a good starting point. I take your husband isn't in the trade himself? Omelettes, broken eggs, that sort of thing.

Anonymous said...

I have loads of junk - does anyone want any of it??

Omega Mum said...

Mutley: How very generous. Junk from Mutleycycle. I think it sounds most enticing.

the rotten correspondent said...

I love Freecycle and have gotten more than my fair share of stuff from it. To be fair I've also given away a lot (like the leftover lizard bedding when the lizard went the way of the small animal in the shed you mentioned).


My problem is that any discrimination I may have left goes away when I hear the word "free". But hey, it's cheaper than eBay.

Omega Mum said...

The rotten correspondent: What is lizard bedding like, I wonder? Thanks for visiting.

Mutterings and Meanderings said...

What I don't understand is why people give away all this stuff instead of eBaying it? Or maybe I'm just a greedy bitch ...

Drunk Mummy said...

I am with Francis on this - you are clearly a woman obsessed!
Does Freecycle have a 'wine' section? Just asking.

Anonymous said...

The touching fondness for their possessions is also noticeable. Who, after all, could resist, “the quality 2.5 seater sofa, too good for the dump, manufactured by upholsterer with a Royal Warrant.”

Reminds me of the story of someone who put a perfectly good 3 piece suite out outside their house with a sign that said " free to a good home " and no-one called so they put a sign on it saying " £20 or whatever " and it was stolen during the night. Sems like most people believe there is no such thing as a free lunch unless of course you scarper from the restaurant without paying the bill.

Kev

Omega Mum said...

M&M: We've tried ebay, too - and it's fine. It's just that for things like oldish, but perfectly serviceable fridges, say, or freezers, which probably no-one would buy, Freecycle is a perfect way of finding a good home for them. And you feel like SUCH a good person (which in my case, is essential)

Drunk Mummy: No wine on offer so far - but what a good idea.

Kev: Love the story. I can well believe it.

I Beatrice said...

About your other point OM - the one about spouses' compulsions to take opposing views...

Well you know, I'm not a bit fond of Gordon Brown myself - but it requires only for my husband to mention his name and start spluttering about him, for me to rush out in stout defence of the man!

It's a funny old thing, marriage, isn't it?

Am off on hols myself now, but shall try to look out for you in Tuscany if I can get a connection.

the rotten correspondent said...

lizard bedding is bark shavings for the little devils to hide in. I wish I'd never had to find that out, believe me.

Omega Mum said...

The rotten correspondent: I never cease to marvel at what you can learn through blogging. Thanks for this!

Stay at home dad said...

Doesn't shaving bark kill the planet?

Yes, I am with your hubby and DM on this one. You mention it on one in three posts. Still, it gives rise to some very fine comedy moments!

Omega Mum said...

SAHD: Gather your plot pivots where ye may. But I take your point. Less Freecyle in future. More diversion. Embrace the future. What about lizards?

DJ Kirkby said...

I am quite sure you've made this site up but just in case you havent...I dare not even google it just to check!

Omega Mum said...

DJ: I can thoroughly recommend it if you do. All you need is an eye for junk and a voyeuristic streak and you'll be set up for life.

Anonymous said...

Oh no !!!!!

Now I've mounted the Freecycle. Is it possible to get off or is it like cancelling a Reader's Digest subscription????

Kev

Omega Mum said...

Kev: Don't worry. Emergency exits are located here, here and here. In the meantime, relax and enjoy the ride.