Friday 30 November 2007

AGhAst

"What's going on," I say, as large men wheel slabs of metal out of Vicky's kitchen.

"Husband's away, so the Aga's going," she says.

"What? But it's only just arrived."

"I don't care," says Vicky. "Look at me. Do I look like a woman who wants to be slow-drying her tomatoes in a simmering oven overnight, or making her own chutney? Do you know what they make chutneys out of, these days?"

"Not being a chutney groupie, it's hard to say. But judging by the last school fair I went to, practically anything. Passion fruit, mud, engine oil. Put it in a Bonne Maman jar and shove a ribbon round the neck and you can't go wrong."

"I believe engine oil chutney is considered de rigeur with samphire and raw sewage soup," says Vicky. "But that's beside the point. The point is -"

"'Scuse me," says one of the men, loaded down with what looks like scrap iron coated with rust.

"- that I can't go on. I'm not a school fete fetishist with a chutney habit and six tombolas to feed and the only thing I'd like to tie a ribbon round wouldn't feature in any Aga bible, that's for sure.

"And then there's the heat. When it snowed the other day I had to have the back door open to bring the kitchen temperature below 80. And the rest of the house was arctic because the thermostat never clicks on. So the kids have all got chilblains and I've got heat rash."

"What are you getting instead?"

"Nothing," says Vicky. "I've got a really good price for the thing, and with that and what we save on the fuel bills, I plan to eat out for every meal well into the New Year."

"Won't that cause a major domestic upheaval."

"It may," says Vicky."But I'll make sure we get plenty of his favourite takeaways. And if he's really misses the taste of good, home cooking I'll specify that I want his portions carbonised. That way he can experience the essence of my cuisine any time he likes."

10 comments:

Mya said...

Hooray! Good riddance to bad rubbish!

Mya x

Omega Mum said...

Mya: Glad you approve.

Iota said...

I can't imagine many men would enjoy having their portions carbonised...

Ellee Seymour said...

Good for you, what a great post, I like your sense of humour.

I Beatrice said...

I'm rather sorry to see that Aga go, as a matter of fact. Though I can see Vicky's point in wanting to be shot of it - and can't help admiring her resolve in accomplishing its demise with such dispatch.

I fear she will get tired of all those takeaways though, I really do...

And is it too late to ask if the Aga could be re-diverted to my house? I have always secretly longed for one - and have just the cat to lie down beside it. Not that I'd have the least idea of what to do with it, mind - but I have always had an idea that I'd be an ever so much better home-maker, if only I had an Aga.....

Though then again, as you rightly say, it might all end in tears - with everyone in my household, cat and and husband included, ending up under-nourished and AGHast!

Better not send it over after all perhaps....?

DJ Kirkby said...

The Aga is going to look great in my kitchen!!!!!!!!

Omega Mum said...

Iota: There's some dirty devils out there, Iota. You'd be surprised.

Ellee: Nice to see you. Glad you enjoyed it.

IB/DJ: Apparently the Aga went to a woman who changes her cooker once a year. I'll pass on the name and address to you both.

Motheratlarge said...

What does Vicky look like? I would like to know.

'School fete fetishist' - lovely!

I'd better stop reading. The talk of engine oil chutney, samphire and raw sewage soup is making me come over all queasy.

Did Vicky sell it on e-Bay?

Motheratlarge said...

What does Vicky look like? I would like to know.

'School fete fetishist' - lovely!

I'd better stop reading. The talk of engine oil chutney, samphire and raw sewage soup is making me come over all queasy.

Did Vicky sell it on e-Bay?

Omega Mum said...

M@L: Vicky is gorgeous - tall, blond, beautiful and much admired by all the dads (oh, the stories I could tell, but probably won't because of the problems it would cause). I've known her for almost ten years and have alwasy enjoyed the way she manages to combine an almost saintly public persona with a spiky wit that remains hidden to most people.