Monday 5 November 2007

Limping amok

Gemma, one of the teaching assistants, skips into the staffroom. "Hopping, skipping, jumping, walking," she chants, making her way rhythmically to the photocopier.

The familiar feeling of nausea rises in my gorge.

"Gemma, the job's getting to you again. I'm afraid I'm going to have to slap you," I warn her. "Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind."

She stops skipping and looks slightly hurt.

The staff room is filled with such lovely warm vibes that it's all I can do to maintain my bitter and twisted position vis a vis the world. But I manage, somehow. Fortunately there are frequent prompts.

The wholesome prayers whose first word, often 'the', is enough to inspire a red mist, aren't up yet. But just looking at the home made cake ("Remember, girls, you'll all have to watch your hands afterwards because of the allergy-inducing pecan nut topping,") that somebody has thoughtfully brought in from home is enough to make me want to run amok with an arc welder.

Of course, running amok with an arc welder might be a bit ambitious, what with the weight. Then there's all those tedious health and safety rules, like having to ask the children to wait on wall side (going up) and on the bannister side (going down) while I pass, emitting the occasional spark.

Damn. Another plan to achieve that much longed for posthumous coverage beginning, 'She always was a bit of a loner.....' bites the dust.

6 comments:

Mya said...

I'd slap anyone reciting such inane drivel too.

Mya x

The Woman who Can said...

Please tell me there is not really hopping & skipping. Have joined my local freecycle - will let you know if I get an arc welder. Or a shotgun.

DJ Kirkby said...

Lol! I am sorry the stress is getting a bit much for y0ou...the thing is, the more painful your RL, the more hilarious your posts...why is that? Hoping RL sorts itself out and soon! P.S. you don't have to post this, I just wanted to let you know I was thinking of you. xoxo

Omega Mum said...

Mya: And you'd be right to. Have you ever thought of teaching as a career? I reckon you'd be a natural

Tina: There is hopping. There is skpping. Not, as yet, simultaneously. If arc welder and shotgun both come up, go for both. You could retrain as Terminator.

DJ: You are lovely. Thanks for nice, cuddly vibes.

Iota said...

I was under the impression that staff rooms were nests of vipers: cliques and factions, people not speaking to each other for years because of a stolen Bic biro, mind games played out over choice of brand of coffee, etc etc.

Yours sounds like the kind of place where an arc welder would feel at home.

Omega Mum said...

Iota: Gimme the address and I'll send off my cv. Sounds like a home from home.