Wednesday 1 August 2007

Flat pack men

Bad Lindy arrives while I'm at Vicky's house, struggling to put a flat pack chest of drawers together.

"What a waste of time," she says, eyeing our efforts.

Admittedly, we are at that difficult, in-between Frankenstein stage.

Nuts and bolts are piled appetisingly in a bowl like nibbles at a Terminator reunion party, and there's so much surplus wood - each bit, apparently, so vital to the structural integrity of the piece that if you insert it incorrectly the entire structure will immediately crumble to dust - that you could give everyone in the country free kindling at Christmas with enough left over to make a small, perfectly formed Wicker man.

Since the piano incident, I've been superstitiously reluctant to invite Bad Lindy round. As well as realistically reluctant. Leave her alone with your partner at the front door to say goodbye and there's always the risk she'll assume he's the leaving present, stuff him in a goody bag and take off.

"Can't you help instead of criticising?" asks Vicky.

Bad Lindy takes no notice.

"Now if men came flat-packed, there'd be some point," she says.

"Or plumbers," I say. "Or good electricians."

"And then you could decide what tools you wanted to accessorise them with," says Vicky. "It could be quite fun. Oh, f- this. I'll finish it later. Let's open some wine."

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just love flat pack. Sad I know, but it's that satisfaction of actually achieving what I set out to do.

Crystal xx

Omega Mum said...

CJ: Nothing sad about it at all. I'm sure if you did IQ tests based on flat pack assembly it would make a much more realistic test of ability....

I Beatrice said...

That Lindy! I'm thinking of sending Bill around. He'd see her off and no mistake!

He's back now btw. But don't mention it to Mutley, whatever you do!

PS I have a thoroughly nice and reliable Charlie, if you get really stuck with your flat-pack. He's not the sort to inspire lust in Lindy, mind - but my husband always says that if you asked Charlie to move the house three inches to the left, he'd scratch his head a while, then say "OK".

Omega Mum said...

IB: It says an awful lot about me that I'm salivating at the words 'OK' spoken by somebody competent and unaccompanied by tooth-sucking, doesn't it. Thanks so much for this.

I Beatrice said...

Charlie never - but never ever! - sucks his teeth! Nor do you ever hear from him the dreaded words "Come and have a look at this!".

Charlie is strictly the strong silent type, who doesn't go in for estimates, and sometimes doesn't turn up - but who, if the heavens can be moved at all (in construction terms that is) will move them. And all at fees below the level of VAT!

I tend to hold him rather close to my chest and my own house, mind you....

Omega Mum said...

IB: Uh oh - I'm drooling again. I'd keep him very close indeed.

Brillig said...

I'm with Crystal--I rather like it! It makes me feel like I've accomplished something. My husband, on the other hand, has no idea what to do with such things...

Omega Mum said...

Brillig: I think you're wonderful. And CJ. And there is no shame in enjoying flat pack assembly. You should be very proud.

The Good Woman said...

Vicky clearly has a brilliant business mind. And imagine the accessories Bad Lindy could suggest!

Omega Mum said...

the good woman: My mind is boggling now......

Motheratlarge said...

I'm boggling at the idea of men coming flat-packed. Perhaps that explains male affinity with work shops, sheds, and DIY cupboards - a yen to return whence they came. I'll run it by my husband.

Omega Mum said...

M@L: Like returning to the wild. How they must hunger for that near 2-dimension existence. Thanks for that marathon comment session.

DJ Kirkby said...

Did the wine make the instructions understandable? Or did you just care less?

Omega Mum said...

DJ: We turned it into an Anthony Gormley tribute. I thought it was an improvement. Vicky begged to disagree.