Friday 17 August 2007

The unluckiest - or luckiest - electrician in the country

Story One: The workshop

John, the electrician has been doing a bit of work for us (mending the devil-shaped hole in the anti-Bad Lindy fence, if you want to know the details - it's never worked yet but I find the false sense of security oddly reassuring).

This, as word for word as my hasty notes on scraps of paper can make them, is the first of his stories.

"I was called by this couple to install an outside light on a workshop they'd built in their garden. I did the job and didn't hear back from them for two years. Then the wife called and said one of the lights had gone on the workshop and would I fix it.

"I arrived on a pitch black winter's evening, and it was snowing. I walked out to the shed, carrying my toolbox, tried to turn the light on 'cause I couldn't see anything, and of course it didn't work.

"I took five steps forward into the darkness. Then I'm going down, falling. You'd think I'd have let go of my toolbox but I carried on holding it, like I was in a cartoon, and dropped straight into six feet of water.

"I managed to get out and the woman found me, brought me in and gave me a cup of tea. She hadn't thought to tell me they'd had a swimming pool built, but still called the place 'The workshop'.

"'You were lucky,' she said. I said, 'Why?' She said, 'We were going to have it emptied yesterday.'

"Then her husband came back and found me wrapped in his towel. I said, 'Don't even start.'"

5 comments:

the rotten correspondent said...

Good thing he wasn't carrying a live wire, eh? Or that they weren't raising piranha in their pool. Seriously, who builds a pool in a workroom??

Omega Mum said...

The rotten corr: Nobody would build a pool in their workroom. And if they did, they'd say 'be careful, there's a swimming pool in the workroom.'
Live wire/lifts/lightning stories all coming soon.

Gwen said...

You would think they might at least have asked him if he could swim. I'm looking forward to the next instalment of Electrician Stories.

Omega Mum said...

Gwen: These ones really are true, true and true. (Well, he says so, anyway)

Around My Kitchen Table said...

I had to laugh - although I knew I shouldn't really! Poor old electrian.
Your story reminded me about one of my friends who had a faulty outside light and called an electrician to mend it. Sparky was outside for two minutes, came back into the house and said: "Have you tried putting in a new bulb!"