Tuesday 1 May 2007

Core values

The house is now littered with cards saying 'Goodbye'. All, for some unfathomable reason, feature cuddly hedgehogs. Leo ignores the lot, even the great big one in the hall, which is adorned with a particularly unpleasant baby-faced version wearing little blue trousers and a cynical leer and waving a big farewell banner.

Francis' final present was an unremarkable leather document folder. He drops in on to the kitchen table, where it spends several hours getting acquainted with a couple of old sausages, at one point taking a quick dip into the tomato ketchup, until he is able to muster sufficient enthusiasm to open it.

When he does, though, it's worth it. His team has filled it with momentos of his time at the office, like one of those memory boxes you put together for the children when Granny snuffs it. There are jelly babies, breath freshener, business cards, and a leaflet listing his company's core values which are "... about recognising and respecting each other's views as a team." I add, "Except yours, Francis," in big bold letters as a joke, then, remembering Francis' reaction to Vicky's card, panic, and hide the leaflet in the recycling bin.

Of our immediate issues, the first is knowing how to refer to Francis' predicament. It's a bit like describing a relationship whose status is as yet indeterminate. Up till now we were safe with that marvellous little linking word 'just'. He'd just been made redundant. He was just about to leave. The relationship equivalent would be 'newly single'. It kept a tenuous little connection between Francis and work. Now I need to work out what to put in its place. I suppose there's 'gardening leave', but I always take it to be a euphemism for 'so damn useless we'll pay for him not to come into the office.'

I try 'between jobs'. Its hopeful vagueness reeks of desperation. After all, you don't advertise for the love of your life by saying you're between partners.

The next problem is one of respect. With Francis at home all the time, it will be all too easy to eat away at his remaining status by treating him as a glorified errand Dad, especially when my teaching job does mean I struggle with the school run. I make a vow not to ask for too much help. Not having a job is bad enough. Being asked to take up the slack when your partner does is worse.

6 comments:

dulwichmum said...

Have you got some wine in the house? Or is tonight a night for spirits? I am thinking of you, and genuinely wish I could say something useful. Would a relic be any use?

Omega Mum said...

Thanks for your kind thoughts. I am sure things will get better. Well, they've got to, haven't they? And while others may have avatars, I feel I've discovered a second life as a blogger - which has to be a silver lining of sorts, doesn't it?

Drunk Mummy said...

Yes, but have you bought any genitalia yet? (See, I just can't stop!).
Maybe Francis should have a look on Second Life. I believe there is a Chinese lady who has made over a million dollars (in real life) from selling land on Second Life. She employs 25 people apparently.

Omega Mum said...

I do wonder whether suggesting to Francis that he needs to upgrade his genitalia (in any life) might be a bad start to boosting his ego - oh, hang on, you're talking about land. Sorry!
As for me, after three kids I could do with a complete new set - perhaps they'll start offering them with Tesco's milk instead of Legoland free child vouchers. I know which I'd prefer.

Anonymous said...

Surely if Francis is at home, he may as well make himself useful?
My partner freelances having taking voluntary redundancy (a whole different ballgame from the involuntary kind, I know) but it really irritates me when I notice I'm doing everything in the morning, as if he's still rushing off to work.
Bugger that.
Anyhow - just came across your blog and read it from start to finish. Great stuff.
I'm not sure how old Leo is, but mine didn't stop wriggling and poking his way through the school day until he reached Year 3.

Omega Mum said...

You're quite right to expect Francis to do things - I do, too. I just don't want him to become too divorced from work mode as, until I can earn more myself (after all, why should he be the major breadwinner) I do need him to get back into it.

Unfortunately, Leo is 11.....which is why I think something probably has to be done.