Friday 4 May 2007

Sub-texts

I am beginning to wonder if we're fictional characters in somebody else's blog. If we're real, we're definitely headed for a chapter in a prize-winning book called something like, "Disfunctional familes - maternal ineptitude as a contributory factor."

At lunchtime I get a text from Beth about her now very definitely ex-best friend. "She's doing it again, ruining my life by spreading rumours, god i hate her. I'm not going to school on Monday, i can't, i'm doing everything i can not to run out of this place. I can't do this." My knee jerk reaction is to rush to the school and scoop her up in my arms, murmuring, 'My baby' as I stroke her hair and splifficate those responsible for her troubles.

Then I realise that, what with her latest growth spurt and my shrinkage rate, that's going to be a physical impossibility, so I remove the keys from the ignition, go back indoors and take another, closer look at her text.

Beth, dearly though I love her, knows what makes me tick. Anyone capable of threatening self-harm when denied what she regards as her inalienable right to play Sims 2 into the small hours on a school night is going to go a long way, and hopefully in the opposite direction to The Priory.

That text is suspiciously well crafted, with every comma placed just so. Punctuation is an early casualty in any emergency communication. Hmmmm. It may not be normal to give your child's crisis a rating based on use of grammar and syntax, but it works for me.

I call Beth. "I'm in the computer room," she hisses, sounding subdued but - hurrah! -not tearful. "I can't talk." "Are you sitting next to someone nice?" I ask. "I'm on my own because nobody wants to sit next to me," she sniffs. As this is a lunchtime club and she's one of the few in her year who loves IT, she's usually the only one here - so that's not strictly true.

I tell Francis what's happening. Given his lack of involvement with Leo I expect him to listen, comment sympathetically, and then leave me to deal with it. "I could go in to the school and sort it out," he says. I gape at him. "Let me know if you want me to make an appointment," he says. I'm still gaping when he leaves to go and do some research for his next job interview.

I collect Leo first and tell him that Beth sounded upset about Becky. "But Beth spends the whole time being horrible to Becky," he says, then looks appalled at having given his sister away. "Don't tell her I said so," he mutters, as Beth, looking cheerful and damp, gets into the car. "What happened?" I ask. "Oh, we had a water fight," says Beth. "Is there anything to eat?"

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh you poor thing - you could do without Beth having problems with her friends.
Mind you, she is at the age where they all have problems with their friends.
I remember being unwilling to take a day off sick from school as a teenager as I knew my friends would all be talking about me - and not in a nice way.
I knew that because it was what we did when someone was off sick.
Perhaps she's after some attention because of Leo?
Good luck with all the diagnosis meetings.

Omega Mum said...

It's vile but I'm never quite sure of how much of the truth I'm getting these days - in fact, I've just reposted this entry after weighing things up. I think I was incredibly lucky at school - either I was so immature that I was oblivious to all the comments, or I was just very lucky with my friends but it wasn't like that for me. From what you've said, though, you clearly had the same problem.
PS Like your Bad Mothers Club piece. I'm not a virtual stalker, honest - just getting the hang of this blog business.

dulwichmum said...

Dear Omega Mum,

You really do sound very sensible about all of this parenting stuff. Perhaps I should wear a wire and you could tell me what to do - I am getting it all wrong.

DM

Drunk Mummy said...

I think its so hard, but you have to let them fight their own battles, and try not to get drawn in. I have tried (unsuccessfully) to adopt my friend's mantra "I am a grown-up", but I still feel like I could cuff a few nasty kids around the head.

Omega Mum said...

Thanks for comments. Dulwich Mummy - do not think for a moment that I know what I'm doing. It's only writing about it all that gives me illusory sense of control - the reality is often far, far worse.
And Drunk Mum, I, too, am struggling to be a grown up and not ring up the other kids and threaten them down the phone.
And btw, why aren't we all being wined and dined in some upmarket hotel right now?