Thursday 3 May 2007

A fistful of thistles

It's breakfast time, and Francis is checking his e-mails. "Well, I've had my first rejection," he says, in the tone of voice of someone who knew all along the worst was coming, and now has the evidence to prove him right. We're at a tipping point. Any further bad news will plunge him straight into deepest Eyeore territory, and it will take more than a handful of thistles to lure him out again.

Sometimes I suspect his pessimistic attitude is protective colouring. Faced with a crisis, he likes to spend time thinking things through, whereas I view contemplation as akin to torpor and inaction as one step up from a persistent vegetative state, and react by sparking off ideas in all directions like a misguided firecracker, opting for action and plenty of it. Doing something, anything, is infinitely better than nothing, as long as it produces a temporary adrenalin buzz that quietens the panic that otherwise threatens to engulf me. And then I wonder why Leo has behavioural problems.

Beth, meanwhile, has started her day by washing out the dog's food bowl in our sink with our washing up brush. Diet, say some hyperactivity experts, can be linked to behaviour, but I've yet to come across anyone who tips encrusted Winalot as a miracle cure. No wonder we've had to treat all the children for threadworm again.

Later, when Francis calls between interviews, I ask him whether he's had time to pay in his final cheque yet. Casually, he says that he hasn't got it yet. My husband now has no job and no money.

It turns out that his ex-employers won't release the cheque until he's got a solicitor to check through the terms and conditions letter that goes with it, and he hasn't got round to sorting this out. "Do you have a solicitor?" he asks me. Unless they were doling them out at Tesco's with the special offer Tempranillo, the answer is almost certainly a 'no'.

I'm fairly sure that at the back of Francis' mind there lingers the notion of an avuncular family lawyer, kindly, astute, and secretly devoted to us all. I blame it all on Ian Fleming. If Francis hadn't become infatuated with the lifestyle portrayed in the James Bond films, particularly 'Goldfinger,' he'd never have matured with such unrealistic expectations, if matured is the right word.

Unfortunately, the nearest we get to retaining a solicitor is the legal hotline that comes free with our contents insurance, a grown up version of the plastic toy in the cornflakes packet. But to sort out a local lawyer who is more than delighted to read the four-paragraph letter and charge the thick end of £150 for the privilege is but the work of a couple of minutes. And if they, and Francis, want a closer family connection, we can always consider adoption.

When the children get home from school, Leo spots Francis's car. "Dad's back," he says, sounding surprised. "Yes," I say. "He's working from home." "Why?" I pause. "It's just the way things have panned out." "Does he want to?" persists Leo. But we're at the front door. In the time it takes me to open it, he's pushed past me, flung his blazer and bag on the floor, and disappeared upstairs. Perhaps he feels he's got as much information as he can cope with for the moment.

Beth, meanwhile, has been presented with a Torchwood DVD by two schoolfriends. I'm really touched, and tell one of the mothers so. "Well, they were doing three for two," she explains. I can't fault her for honesty - though in this instance, I rather wish I could. And it could be worse. At least she doesn't lower her voice and add, "What with things the way they are, we thought she might be a bit short of pocket money...."

Coincidentally, I hear from two old college friends. One is married to the CEO of a huge conglomerate, whose salary is so vast that his payrises make the national press; the other to a head honcho in the Arts, whose work is that rare thing, a hit with the masses and also hugely popular with the cultural elite. Consquently, their presence is requested by everyone from Royalty to Hollywood.

Would I swap places with either of them? While a medium sized lottery win would come in extremely useful at the moment, the answer has to be no. With success comes a requirement to dress up your personality as well as your wardrobe. I don't want to go out disguised as a different character, able to slip into my comfortable, slightly shabby but true persona only when I get home again.

And, when I ask Vicky what she thinks, she has some pithy, but useful advice. "Don't worry," she texts me. "At least u have me, neither rich, nor famous, just a c*** really."

8 comments:

dulwichmum said...

My lovely friend, I am drinking an enormous glass of wine just considering your situation. You have good friends, and your sweet man in off to interviews. Please God, this time next week, this ordeal will all be over, and you and I and Drunk Mummy and Omega Mum are off to a spa. This time next week...

Anonymous said...

1 - rejections. They're a bugger. Had around 15 in the past year. If Hannah had ever started horse riding lessons (she wants to but we've said she can't - yet) she'd be stopping them now.
2 - worms. The medicine is much cheaper in France and we buy it there in bulk. It's only ever Hannah that gets them and she's the one that washes her hands more readily than her brother.
3 - coveting other people's lives. I went to a school reunion last year and as I'm from Jersey I thought I'd be spitting with rage after ten minutes.
But funnily enough I came home from the weekend feeling happy with the life I have.
Odd that.

Omega Mum said...

Dulwich Mum - cheers! Keep your fingers crossed. Grand unveiling party and huge quantities of champagne if so. Or join me in the gutter for a spot of soliciting and intravenous drugs if not.

Beta Mum - thanks for the bulk worm pill tip. And that old cliche about money not buying happiness is beginning to ring truer. That's until later life when the care home costs kick in, that is, when I could well change my mind, or move to Scotland, where they're still free.

Omega Mum

Scruffy Mummy said...

Honestly, I'd much rather be in a relationship with my partner, a jazz musician (not a struggling musician - he's at the top of his field which means his annual income is in the region of £20,000 - wow!) than with some c*** with lots of money and a screwed sense of ethics and priorities!!

It is so depressing getting keyed up for interviews and getting rejected - I went for 5 interviews before I got a job. But it's the perfect part-time job for me and I'm so happy I didn't get a job with the other uptight idiots who interviewed me!!

Drunk Mummy said...

Dear Omega Mum - in order to cheer you up, I am prepared to reveal my darkest secret (and its nothing to do with alcohol). I too had to be treated for threadworm when my children got them. We are such a caring, sharing family! We all sat around scratching together.
I like Dulwich Mum's idea of the spa visit, although I now know that you won't let me touch any of your food.

Omega Mum said...

Francis, who has tried, but perhaps fortunately failed, to access this blog, said, "Now they can all laugh at me," - but I am going to show him all your supportive comments which will cheer him up, especially the bits about the interviews but including the threadworm one because (whisper who dares) we've both had to swallow the pills as well. But threadworm are rapidly becoming taboo-free and I'm coming to develop quite a taste for the orange flavour tablets. So it's at least two of us who who'll have our food on separate trays at the grand unveiling party.

You know the only problem about being a woman blogger ? - inevitably, you become too curious about the real people behind the blogs.

Never mind.
x
Omega Mum

Anonymous said...

Hello, I'm just checking in to wish you all the very best, my partner lost his job some months back, he's now on a temporary contract until July. The stress and pressure it has put the family under has been bloody awful at times (sorry!) but more than anything it has brought us closer together. Sorry to be a walking cliche, good luck to you.

Linda
x

here was my post about our situation - looks a bit crap now in hindsight...oh well!

http://www.gotyourhandsfull.com/2007/03/a_little_while_.html

Omega Mum said...

Thanks, anonymous. I'm beginning to think that cliches were created for a reason - to make cynics like me think that, just occasionally, things can work out in unexpected ways. Those are the good cliches, of course. As for the bad ones .....Still positing a theory (if that's the right word). Not posseting. At least, I don't think so.