Sunday 27 May 2007

What are they on about?

There's been nothing from the spa bath people. I imagine Mr Tosser and his team totally absorbed in a battery of gruelling factory tests; dropping babies in, perhaps, and seeing if they get thrown out with the bathwater, or sending everyone on a training course, naturally involving total immersion.

Nice but useless headhunter sends an e-mail saying that the role he had in mind for Francis that needed 'senior business building team leadership' changed drastically following the client meeting. It's now shrunk to a much smaller, junior business building role involving a box of Lego in the stationary cupboard.

But at last Francis has been invited to see another company. It's a chocolate firm hoping to team up with a cereal manufacturer for true love, cinema and theatre trips and the opportunity to make lots and lots of chocolate crispies when there's nothing else doing up at the factory of a Friday afternoon.

It's all getting on Francis's nerves.
"I hate having to go through all this, 'Yes, I'm professional. Yes, I can think of no better way to see out my days than by extolling the virtues of your...'" (insert product here).

To cheer him up, I decide to check out a few of the headhunters.

According to its website, the latest headhunter knows ' how important it is to recruit people who understand your business.' The firm can do this ...'Because we are those people.' Which, if true, is amazing. Not only do they interview candidates, they actually mind meld with them, too. No wonder they claim they add value. If inhabiting several bodies simultaneously isn't adding value, I don't know what is. They never stand still, they add. What with having to switch DNA all the time, it's not really surprising.

'The world of retail is changing,' says the second load of blurb, 'and more than ever, it is people who are making the difference'. As opposed to what? The flood of dolphins that swamped the employment market in the 1990s and really took the industry downhill, what with their insistence on jumping through hoops at work and getting paid in dead fish?

'To discover new islands', says the third, 'candidates need to lose sight of the shore'. I think we all know what they're on about. It's those dolphins again. Somebody's just going to have to stop them.

Then I come across a site called 'Doctor Job.' which, with its reassuring pseudo-medical title, will, I feel sure, have answers for every recruitment problem. But no. 'Can you answer Doctor Job's big question?' asks the site. I click. It won't let me on. I know why, though. The question is obviously, 'Why are dolphins still getting more than their fair share of the jobs?' and they're worried I'll go public with the information.

Francis will just have to change his name to Flipper and brush up on his sonar. Set to the right frequency, I gather that a technically adept dolphin can stun a whole school of herring. Now there's something that'll add a je ne sais quoi to his cv. Might help flog the odd spa bath or two, I shouldn't wonder.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

The headhunter needs slapping around the head with a big wet dolphin. You are that person! Go on, do it!

lady macleod said...

LOL Really dolphins? All this time I thought those were bloody huge tuna. Funny, funny stuff. However (said as I rearrange my face into a suitable look of concern) poor Francis. Oh dear.

Omega Mum said...

Yay! I am empowered. I will be that person. Poor Francis, of course, though - d'you think he'd look better with fins? thanks, Aphrodite and Lady M.

Mutterings and Meanderings said...

Apparently dolphins have two brains. That's why they're getting all the jobs ...

Omega Mum said...

Thanks for the tip, M&M. I've got Francis started on a second brain. A bit of fish meal in his cereal and he'll be there in no time at all.

Gwen said...

Don't these people speak such a load of mumbo jumbo. Dolphins indeed. You could I suppose suggest that they make a bit more sense or they will be "swimming with the fishes". Best of luck to Francis.

Omega Mum said...

Thanks so much, Gwen. Just popping over to see how the weather's shaping up...

Anonymous said...

There is no obvious explanation for these people Ms Omega... I was unemployed for five months...its depressing... thats all.

Maddy said...

Job hunters and head hunters. You have to be so careful! Promise the world.
Cheers

debio said...

Very funny slant on a 'pig' of a situation.
Francis - and you - are in my thoughts.
Hate headhunters - aka scalpers - can't even get the client factfind accurate thus putting all their clients on a rollercoaster.

Suffolkmum said...

Oh I loved this. Those bl**dy dolphins, playing all day and healing people, and now nicking our jobs too. Thanks for stopping by on my blog, I came over to yours and have really enjoyed reading through them, then somwhow got locked out of blogland for a couple of days (which revealed the scary depths of my addiction) so couldn't comment.

Omega Mum said...

Thanks, Mutley, Mcewen, Debio and Suffolk Mum. Yes, it is depressing and hateful and were it not for the war on the dolphins (and the need to keep our home together) I think we'd just opt out for a bit. And I agree about the addiction. I don't know if I'll be able to cope on holiday - without a computer (gasp) - in the summer.