Monday 3 September 2007

Awesome fellow bloggers

Beta Mum nominated me to talk about I enjoy about blogging. She summed up the benefits beautifully, so what I have to say is more of a PS.

Blogging is like going to the best party in the world, but without any of the drawbacks. You're never pinned against the knobbly bits of the cooker while some old drunk launches a spit-filled tirade against the government, immigrants or property prices and the only way out is to dig a tunnel under his feet.

Where else can you short cut small talk and go straight for the essence of what makes people tick - from education to ghosts, autism to being a hippie wild child?

You can travel the world courtesy of the ex-pat writers and even inhabit different worlds altogether courtesy of the bloggers who draw you into the fictional kingdoms they've created.

The most surprising thing, to me, has been the generosity of spirit. I've shared problems and had support that was really moving. You can't help feeling that with this sort of community spirit, the world, however bad the doom and gloom reports, may be capable of some sort of redemption.

That's enough sentiment.

I'd like to nominate I Beatrice, Stay at Home Dad, DJKirby and Mother at Large for the Awesome Blogger award. Not that everyone else isn't awesome, too, it's just that these blogs work in such different ways.

I Beatrice has shared done something very generous in sharing the trials and tribulations of being a writer. SAHD, because I wanted to give him an award before, but it was too pink; DJ Kirby for an always interesting look at a childhood with a difference, and Mother at Large for being so consistently authoritative that once I read her blog, I feel I've actually learned something. And at my age, that's no easy task.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Big applause - excellent choice.

Crystal xx

Omega Mum said...

Glad you approve, CJ. Thanks, as always, for visiting.

lady macleod said...

Congratulations! A mind with as many hallways as yours should be awarded often! I like your choices for passing it on, well done there.

Omega Mum said...

Lady M: Nice to see you. These sorts of comments are really just what I mean.

Alda said...

I like the party analogy - especially the part about being pinned up against the knobbly bits of the cooker. :)

Omega Mum said...

Alda: That's why it's so addictive. No knobbles. If you see what I mean.

Motheratlarge said...

Dear Omega Mum,

Many congratulations on your award. I enjoy your wit and sparkle so much. Bad Lindy stalks my imagination and you write so well, I feel I've met some of your other characters in real life. So well deserved!

I was really touched when I read about why you enjoy blogging. When you talked about generosity of spirit, I thought, "That's what Omega Mum's like!" But as you say, enough sentiment, or I'll get all embarrassed.

Thank you so much for passing the award onto me, and for the kind words. I'm chuffed to bits.

love M@L x

Omega Mum said...

M@L: Another lovely comment. At this rate, I'll be enlarging my liver well before 6.00 pm with a second bottle...

Stay at home dad said...

Thanks very much OM. This one is nice and blue ...

Very good rationale: when I first read your blog I was depressed for a week on account of your ear for dialogue and the vitality of your imagination.

It would be great in book form. Have you tried anybody? Those Friday Project people for instance?

Omega Mum said...

SAHD: And here I am, in awe of your mastery of the emotional highs and lows of parenting with the ability to describe emotions accurately without descending (ever - and believe me, I've checked) into mawkishness. What is it with us all? Go on, you get your book deal first and invite me to the launch.

Mutterings and Meanderings said...

Absolutely awesome dude(ss)!

Brillig said...

Love this--I too love that you can just cut through the crap of small talk and go straight to what you really want to talk about--what you're really thinking, feeling, experiencing. I'd never thought of it that way. Great post!

Omega Mum said...

M&M: Thanks v much.

Brillig: I know you've met up with other bloggers and I've always wondered whether it confirms that you're fellow spirits - or whether there's the awful sense of disappointment.

Motheratlarge said...

OM, I've met up in real life with a few fellow bloggers in the same city. It seemed to work well. One thing I noticed is that we all had more empathy for each other than you'd expect when meeting people for the first time. As if we understood each others' back stories. We've been able to walk along for a little while in the other person's shoes. So we were possibly a bit kinder to each other.
Also, personal note here, I think I communicate better in writing than in speech; possibly true for many bloggers? I get quite shy and nervous in person, which can come across as being aloof, (which I'd hate to be) whereas with the blog I get a chance to explain what's going on. It's quite an interesting thing. Plus, gravitating to blogging does give people things in common from the start. I've found people to be pretty much as they portray themselves in their blogs and have made nice friends through the blog. Of course, that's just my perspective.

Omega Mum said...

M@L: That's very interesting. Thanks.

debio said...

Well done - again, omega mum.

Your reasons for blogging strike a chord with me, as do the comments from fellow bloggers.

A note of sanity and kindness in the wilderness.

Omega Mum said...

I may cry, Debio. I'm warning you now.

Anonymous said...

Amen and yay! So glad I found you!

I Beatrice said...

Have just returned from hols, and trying to catch up with all that's been going on while I've been away. (Shall get to your more recent posts eventually.)

That was so nice of you to nominate me, and give me that lovely big plug though! I wish I could nominate you for something - I'd nominate you for most ingenious thinker, and blogger with most 'infinite variety', if there were such categories...

But the sad fact is that I don't do nominations or awards on the whole - just haven't had time to get the hang of them. If I did though, you may be sure you would be high on the list of every one of my nominations.