Thursday 27 September 2007

Why I love the Archbishop of Canterbury

I love the Archbishop of Canterbury. Not for religious reasons, but because his notions on how to be a good mother tally so exactly with mine.

Pushy parenting, he recently announced, is positively damaging to children. After school drama? Appalling. Early morning swimming? Scar-forming. And as for those badges of success - trophies, medals and certificates - why, they're the marks of the devil himself. Parents, he thunders, are suffocating their little darlings with the weight of their own ambitions for them.

Right on, Rowan! To a parent like me, this is all manna from heaven and wonderfully liberating. Until now my approach - gather up the kids, get them home and stick them in front of the television, while I wipe off the top layer of mould from any remaining vegetables and try to work out how to cook them, assisted by a large glass of wine - has labelled me as a lazy cow with no interest in my children's development.

No longer. Now my laisse faire approach not only goes uncondemned, but officially qualifies as a parenting philosophy, no less, and one endorsed by the Church of England. And that's more than you can say for any of the standard child rearing manuals.

I’m proud to be the mother of children so wedded to the TV that they go to bed cuddling the remote control, and whose idea of vigorous exercise is to lift their feet while I vacuum up the crumbs from their carcinogen and cholesterol-loaded snacks.

My children are real children, happy children, children who can fully express themselves by lumping around at home and shouting at each other. Phew!

I have to admit that in my naïve and enthusiastic parenting days, I had a go - well, several goes, actually - at this pushy parent lark. But then I discovered the terrible truth. Success depends on having a child who is a) keen and b) talented.

One of my friends has a daughter so musically advanced that she's had to break up groups of rioting teacher vying for the chance to take her on, while the son of another friend has done so well at Kumon maths that he's been propelled into a group so advanced that he's probably already being targeted by some dodgy state anxious to recruit fresh blood into its nuclear weapons programme.

My children, though, are either average or not. Usually, thanks to heirloom quality DNA, lovingly passed down through the generations though occasionally dropped ('Butterfingers!'), not.

In the dim and distant past they've given up tennis, because they couldn't serve; football (couldn't kick) Beavers (couldn't sit still) and piano (I couldn't park), and that's just for starters. We've also dispensed with judo (too rough), violin (too discordant), Rainbows (too jolly), gymnastics (too competitive), and trampolining (too scary).

In addition to saving time and money, my strategy means we're the most popular family in the neighbourhood, what with our tireless round-the-clock efforts to remain average, thus making the brilliant achievements of other families shine the brighter in comparison.

The only drawback to my approach is the social aspect. While not a day goes by without exchanging a word with friends and neighbours, that word is almost always 'goodbye' as they speed past ourhouse on the way to the latest extra-curricular emergency. In fact, the only way to guarantee a decent conversation is by lying in the middle of the road in the hope that one of the mums on a mission stops to have a chat before running you over (or after, depending on how urgently that trombone lessonis calling).

Now, though, I can rest assured that while they have the wide open road, I'm the proud possessor of the moral high ground. And soon, no doubt, the Archbishop's words will be endorsed by reports by leading psychologists with advanced qualifications in tut-tutting. They’ll appear in their head-shaking droves to denounce the appalling men and women who are inflicting such outrageous levels of suffering on their innocent offspring.

There’s only one problem. Parenting experts don’t all agree. And I know full well that in a few months’ time, there’ll be a new report out. It will say that children bundled from activity to activity, after school and at weekends, are not only brighter than their peers but also happier and better adjusted.

In the meantime, I’m going milk the Archbishop’s comments for all they’re worth. After all, when your parenting skills are endorsed by God Himself – or, at least, one of His senior representatives on earth, you might just as well enjoy it.

13 comments:

wakeupandsmellthecoffee said...

I'm like you. I did the pushy parenting thing for a while, then stopped out of sheer exhaustion. We're all much happier now just being average. And what is wrong with that? If we didn't exist, those pushy parents wouldn't have anyone to compare themselves to.

Omega Mum said...

wuastc: But what would happen if some expert came up and told you that your child was a potential genius at, say, chess, or the bassoon but needed help to bring out the talent. Wouldn't you be just a tiny bit tempted?

DJ Kirkby said...

I have given you an award but you have to collect it from my 'Exquisite dreams' blog.

debio said...

Of course the main reason why all these pushy parents insist on each child doing so much is that they can demonstrate their finely honed organisational skills.

They also have something to huff and puff about at the school gates - needing to get to three different destinations in seven minutes appears to give them a reason for living.

That the children are already exhausted from a full day at school appears to escape their attention - but the children are not really the point, are they?

debio said...

Oh, by the way - I think I've removed the word verification thing - seems to be driving everyone insane. And I'm not sure it has a point?!

Anonymous said...

Great blog.

I try to push with Amy's music as she's doing so well. As for extra curricular activities, she'd rather watch Bratz.

Crystal xx

I Beatrice said...

I don't believe a word of it you know! Oh, I believe that you might love the ArchB of C (just). Though I confess to finding him rather unloveable-looking myself - and there's something distinctly unecclesiastical about his eyebrows...

No, what I simply don't believe is that your children exist in a cultural wasteland. Come on, admit it - you're hiding your light under a bushel here, and your children are actually being very richly nourished at home - especially musically.

On another note, I thought of you yesterday when reading an article in the Telegraph entitled "Japan spawns a novelty: books written by phone." If you didn't see it, you ought to try to find it (sorry I can't provide a link here). Apparently, people - especially youngsters - are now tapping out short staccato novels on their mobiles - and some of them are already hitting the best-seller lists.

Just thought it might be a useful alternative way forward for The Further Adventures of a Very Bad Lindy? Should you be looking for one that is...

Exmoorjane said...

Found you via DJ Kirkby and haven't stopped laughing since....very very good indeed. Just one thing,....in earlier blogs there is mention of pianos and violins and horse-riding.... but hey, never get little details get in the way of a fabulous piece of writing!! jx

Omega Mum said...

DJ: thanks so much. how lovely. will be over asap

debio: I'm sure you're right. And well done for liberating your blog readers from word verification. I tried yours four times yesterday and couldn't post thank you for award....

CJ: Bratz = life lessons and conversation material with friends. Well done you.

IB and Exmoor Jane: You are so observant and with an eye for detail that I will probably never achieve. And, yes, as you point out, EJ, I have allowed myself a degree of latitude in that with three children, I have given up all those activities at least once - but some have 'stuck'. Not many, though. So gave up ballet, violin, piano, Rainbows, tennis, football, trampolining with eldest and so on. Now have one child, for example, learning one musical instrument. If that's cheating, apologies.

The Woman who Can said...

I do love your blog! That was a lovely piece of writing, I laughed so much at giving up something because you couldn't park. I've honed this to a fine degree, my son can't even start things because I can't drive...

Omega Mum said...

Hi, Tina. Glad you enjoyed it. And even more pleased to hear you're exceeding the archbishop's parenting success criteria. Well done!

Mya said...

Just throw them a slice of pizza and stick a Grange Hill DVD on. It didn't do me any harm... Rock on Rowan. He's got a bit of a funny voice though, reminds me of Brian Sewell.

Mya x

Irene said...

Hear, hear. Ye have well spoken, oh average Mum of humble yet honest origins and intentions. Let's hear some more of this kind of noise on the Internet, let's all band together and announce the Word of the Archbishop!