Thursday 13 September 2007

Words fail me.

The oven's on the blink and I need emergency microwave recipes. A quick internet search works wonders.

My, but how things have changed. Forget those tired old cliched pictures of the finished dish. Instead, you get photographs by the score of chefs staring coyly at the camera, sucking the tips of their fingers. Though I may be doing them an injustice, of course; could be they're just trying to pick the scraps of meat out of their back teeth.

I pick and click:

"For those times when you have a craving to don an apron, get your hands dirty and cook up something comforting, find delicious recipes by method here..."

Frankly, the times I've had to wrestle with my apron-donning cravings are so few that a quadruple limb amputee would have no difficulty counting them. But this is no time to be Mrs Picky, especially when the 26 letters of the alphabet fill the screen, all promising enticing microwave menu options.

I press the letter 'A'.

'There are no recipes beginning with 'A'. Please select another letter!' (I'm particularly keen on that exclamation mark - as if it adds the note of edgy humour that makes the whole thing somehow worthwhile.

On with 'B'.

'There are no recipes beginning with 'B'. Please select another letter!'

C - nothing. D - you've guessed it.

I'm beginning to lose heart. And there's no sign of an offal recipe in which to stew it, either.

Then, at E - bingo - 'Eggs Florentine.'

But it's just a cruel joke. At 'Z' I have unearthed only one more recipe, for Bread and Butter Pudding. Even here there's a twist. It's filed under 'M' - for 'My grandmother's recipe for Bread and Butter Pudding.' Of course. Stupid of me not to bone up on the author's idiosyncratic filing system. And her relations - or, at least, the ones who like cooking.

But they've got one thing right. I do now have a craving to 'get my hands dirty' - by taking a meat cleaver to whichever finger sucking star chef came up with the the idea in the first damn place.

5 comments:

Motheratlarge said...

Celbrity chefs, pah. Nigella's got a lot to answer for. That How to Eat book of hers - has anyone else noticed the lack of recipes? Perhaps I am just too old-fashioned in my notions about what a cook book should deliver. Perhaps the lack of recipes is a post-modernist necessity in the culinary world.

The worst culprits are the people on Ready Steady Cook who give me an acute sense of inadequacy, when I compare what they can do with a potato, can of chopped tomatoes and coriander leaf with my own efforts.

We microwave porridge, spinach, peas, broccoli and an embarrassingly high number of ready meals in our m/w.

Hob still working? Omelettes? With m/waved veg?

Omega Mum said...

M&L: But, darling, it's so not about the cooking these days. Vicky has a phrase for them all, but I can't be bothered searching for the astericks again.

I Beatrice said...

I never did find a microwave recipe that was much good. Rice cooks well there of course - but you'd have to make something to go with it, wouldn't you.... ? I'd nip straight out to Marks, if I were you!

What you (what we all) really need is one of those lovely brick ovens in the garden like the one that Jamie has! It would mean growing your own veg too of course - but then Francis has plenty of time at present, hasn't he? He could build the oven AND grow the veg!

Jamie is my no 1 chef just now. His concoctions beat Nigella's any day, if you ask me. Not that I've tried any of them, mind - I keep them strictly for the purposes of fantasy. It's so easy to imagine oneself entertaining splendidly, when watching Jamie in his garden...

Anonymous said...

I do sympathise! Power cuts are rife up here, esp in winter. I panic. Then spend a fortune at the chinese on a 14 mile round trip.

Crystal xx

Omega Mum said...

IB: Francis is working now (pizza sick topping job but what can you do) but I think building a brick oven is just the thing to make his weekend a lively a fulfilled one.

CJ: I am just a rubbish wife and mother, really. They got chicken nuggets - but oven was working again and nuggets were homemade, so felt relatively proud of self.