Saturday 22 September 2007

Not the balcony scene

"I thought you said nobody could fail to be moved by Beethoven," says Vicky, as we stand up straight again.

"I did," says Ra. "But yelling 'Da da da Da,' repeatedly through Bad Lindy's letterbox is a more liberal interpretation of his oeuvre than I had in mind."

The front door remains obstinately shut.

"Time for Plan B," says Vicky.

"Must we?" I say.

"It's the only way," says Vicky. "Come on."

It's only after we've yelled, "Special delivery for Bad Lindy - and just wait till you see where they want you to sign for him,' at the tops of our voices, twice, that anything happens and even then it's only a window that opens.

"Go away," calls Bad Lindy, "Or I'll show you my scars."

"What scars?" says Ra

"Botched hemorrhoids op," says Vicky.

"Would she really do that?" says Ra, in awed tones.

"Oh yes," says Vicky. "Ask anyone at the magistrate's court. They all had to have post-traumatic stress counselling when she presented them as evidence, but they still did her for parking in a disabled slot."

"Oh, God," says Ra, looking distinctly ill. "And Tom chose to go in there with her?"

"Choice and free will are relative terms with Bad Lindy," I say."She's a predestination sorta gal."

"Tom," calls Ra through the letter box. "Can you hear me? Please let me in. I need to talk to you. I can't get the petrol cap on the estate to lock and we're surrounded by clouds of petrol vapour whenever I do more than 15 miles an hour. The children were both late for their recorder lessons yesterday."

"Talk about making someone feel wanted," mutters Vicky to me. "If I were him I'd tell her to sod off."

"Please, Tom," says Ra. "All my computer settings keep saying they're in an error configuration and flashing at me. What do I do?"

The window opens again.

"Is that really all I am to you?" says Tom. "A computer mending, fuel-cap fixing seven day a week handyman."

Ra thinks for a moment.

"Well, yes," she says "Mainly. Though, of course, it's not all. By any means. You're...you're....Oh, Tom, this is too difficult. Please let me talk to you face to face."

"You are talking to me face to face."

"No she's not. From down here, all she can see is the underneath of your chins and slightly up one nostril," calls Vicky. "It's not your best profile, take it from me."

"Oh, all right, Ra," says Tom, crossly. "And will the harpies be coming in with you?"

"Love you too," calls Vicky. "You bloody bet we are, with a welcome like that. Start slicing the lemon drizzle cake."

The door is unbolted. Tom's chins and nostrils, now presented from a more flattering perspective loom round the frame.

"You'd better come in," he says.

6 comments:

debio said...

Lol! (I think that's the current vernacular).

Oh how funny - especially the view of Tom's nostril....

Irene said...

I am getting sucked in deeper and deeper and before you know it, I will actually start to care very much about what happens to Tom and Ra. Do you think that that is advisbale at this stage, when I understand so little and there is so much to guess at? Or is that the exciting part of it, the not understanding and somehow still hanging in there? It's like reading a novel for grown ups when you are 12 and you are waiting for all the good bits that keep you going. You're a mysterious woman Omega Mum!

I Beatrice said...

Well, now that they've got in there, what are they going to do about it all? Do people who get Bad Lindied ever make-it back to their former lives? (And where IS
Lindy anyway?)

But most of all, please tell me this - did Tom go in there voluntarily? OR NOT?

That aaspect of it is important I think.

Brillig said...

I think that only Juliet looked good from that angle... Hilarious, as always.

Gwen said...

Oooh now I'm just dying to know what happens next. Will Tom reconfigure Ra's PC, will Tom and Ra fall into each others arms or will Bad Lindy spoil it all. Do tell.

Omega Mum said...

Debio: Totally up to date vernacular (as far as I can judge, being no expert myself)

Sweet I: Thanks, again, for hanging in there and don't worry about not understanding everything. I'd like to say all will become clear - fingers crossed that it does

IB: Asked like the mistress of plots you undoubtedly are. Will do best to come up to your high standards.

Brillg: Thanks for the comment. Glad you enjoyed it.

Gwen: All will (I hope) be resolved. Soon.