Monday 14 May 2007

Doing the maths

Problem 1.
Leo tells me about his day. "I'm friends with these really nice sixth form boys. They always come up and talk to me at break."

If X = Leo: 11, tall, blond, innocent, prepubescent
and
Y = Nice sixth form boys: 17, worldy wise, on the way to becoming men.

What is X + Y, taking into account the following variables:

a) How much I want to know the answer.
b) How much time I should spend trying to work it out
and
c) What might happen if I don't?

Problem 2
It's a cold, rainy afternoon. Beth appears at the front door, wet, crying, wheeling her bike with one hand, pulling the reluctant dog, whose walk has been cut short, with the other.

"I fell off my bike and hit my head. This woman was there, with her kid. She just watched me, then turned away. She didn't even try to help me."

Now calculate the probability that the woman :
a) checked Beth out, saw she wasn't seriously hurt and decided not to intervene, but kept an eye on her as she walked home
b) Simply didn't care?
c) Was too scared to help Beth in case somebody thought she was a potential attacker or kidnapper?

You may use quotes from the tabloid press to help you with your answers.

I say to Leo, "Those boys sound a lot older than you. What sort of things do you do with them?" He looks at me, a picture of blank incomprehension. "What?" I try once more. "If they ask you to do anything that you're not comfortable with, don't do it. And tell me." But it's hopeless, and his expression proves it. Things he's not comfortable with include reading a book of over 100 pages; supporting Arsenal or washing his hands before meals - which isn't quite what I mean.

With Beth, I swab the cut, apply antiseptic cream, utter soothing words, and wonder whether I dare risk A&E for the third time in as many weeks.

I could do with an extra pair of hands - just think of all the extra fingers I'd be able to cross.

4 comments:

Mutterings and Meanderings said...

Political correctness has a lot to answer for when people are now too afriad to step in and help a child in case their actions are misconstrued.

Omega Mum said...

You're more charitable than me. I assume she didn't give a whatever.

Catherine said...

Just a thought, but children with ADHD are often more comfortable with older people than their peer group. Hopefully it's completely innocent and big brotherly.

Omega Mum said...

Oh, thanks, Marianne - could do with all such cheerful thoughts at the moment!