Wednesday 30 May 2007

Garden design with manic depressive Dave

It's bank holiday Monday and therefore pouring with rain. Vicky and her family are sitting down to a full breakfast when a man marches past the kitchen window. It's manic depressive Dave, the decorator, who has let himself in through the side gate. He gives a half wave but it's difficult, because his arms are full of tools and seed packets.

"What's he doing here?" ask Vicky's children
"No idea," says Vicky. She goes into the garden, shivering.
Dave has already started digging. He is wearing jeans and a shirt, and water is trickling down his neck.
"Surprise!" he says, lugubriously. "You said something needed doing to the garden, so here I am, doing it."

Dave, the anti-Christ of the interior decor world, the man whose preferred colours - dark brown, dark blue, dark red and very, very dark black, ideally on alternate walls - are less a paint chart than a pain chart, is turning gardener.

Unsurprisingly, his preferred gardening weather is wet, ideally with the occasional apocalyptic clap of thunder, so there's no sun and blue skies to taunt him with their allusions to an illusory happiness that will, of course, never be his.

It's an awesome notion, and there's something about the sight of Dave surrounded by large, sharp gardening implements that makes Vicky decide not to question him any further about his horticultural plans, despite the fact that she has never actually specified what it is she wants done.

"I'll leave you to it," she says, and goes back into the house.

Later that day, when Dave has just left, Vicky finally dares to inspect his handiwork. She puzzles over it for some time. The flower bed has been very neatly dug in a sort of undulating wave shape with two distinct curves.

"Oh, my God," she says, as realisation dawns, "it's....."

"...a perfect 36 D - and all in proportion," says Dave, making . "Sorry - left my trowel behind. I've planted all the veg, too."

"Veg?" says Vicky, faintly, "I was thinking of climbing roses."

"Veg," says Dave, firmly. "It's nicer. And useful."

When he's left again, she inspects the empty packets. There are turnips, radishes, chard, three kinds of lettuce. But, above all, lots and lots of big, purple carrots.

If she changes the design, there's always the possibility that Dave might become distressed and slash another of her carpets. So it looks as if she's stuck with her lingerie garden for the time being.

"I might just as well add a phallic water feature and have done with it," she says, when she texts me the next day.

15 comments:

lady macleod said...

so what you are telling me is that Vicky has stephen king's gardener?

Gwen said...

Perhaps Vicky could now throw an Ann Summers party in her newly appropriately designed garden.

I have a feeling however that Dave shouldn't be let near any sharp implements.

Omega Mum said...

Lady M and Gwen - I keep asking Vicky why she uses Dave - I wouldn't. He is like a Stephen King character - one of the scariest men I have ever met. I think an Ann Summers party is a brilliant idea, except he might turn up, and then what?

wakeupandsmellthecoffee said...

What does Vicky do to get her gardener to come round on a Bank Holiday Monday? I reckon she's already had the Ann Summers party and just invited Dave. I had gardeners once. They came in December to take down a tree limb, then didn't show again till March to reclaim their ladder.

Omega Mum said...

She didn't expect him on Bank Holiday Monday. Bad Lindy's advice if you want any tradesman round is to promise to wear MotherPucker lipgloss......or just get their home addresses and drag them in by the hair.

Mutterings and Meanderings said...

Big purple carrots? Oooh er, missus!

Anonymous said...

You know some amazing characters, I must say. I'll bet your Christmas parties are a complete hoot!

Omega Mum said...

Seriously, M&M - purple carrots are in - and not just because of the innuendo factor. They taste nicer, or something.
Crystal J - parties can be a bit tense, what with outraged wives removing their husbands and storming out when Bad Lindy's there, though Vicky is always good for a laugh. I haven't been at a party with Dave so far. It's something I'm rather hoping to avoid.

Anonymous said...

It sounds like a fun idea to me! Maybe he is growing BRA - ssicas???

Omega Mum said...

Mutley - I'll ask. It's a brilliant idea. St John's Wort might be a good idea, too. Could you send a few brainworm eggs, too - might be therapeutic for him to hatch them out.....Or perhaps they don't travel.

dottyspots said...

LOL! Mind you, could do with some big purple carrots here, with or without the manic depressive gardener :)

Omega Mum said...

Dotty - am sure Dave is free. Shall I arrange for him to come over? Hide your knives.

Motheratlarge said...

Suppose gardeners can get away with pitchforks as standard issue. But how did he hide his big forked tail?

Omega Mum said...

No idea, Mother at L. I suppose I ought to include some mature and balanced comment about difficulties of holding down job when you are a manic depressive. But, having met Dave, I just can't. Sorry.

dottyspots said...

I'm actually very tempted (no problem hiding the knives - my eldest two children were rather *manic* so we sort of got used to putting things out of the way...)

(((hugs))) on Leo's difficulties - my eldest had counselling for 3 years and still has ropey times (he's 12), I have urges for sharp implements whenever we're at CAHMS...