Thursday 13 December 2007

Away in a manger with the fairies

"Carols aren't that hard," says the vicar impatiently, as I chop my way laboriously through the rising sixths half way through "Once in Royal David's City," for the 19th time.

"They are if you can't play the piano," I reply, hands poised above the keyboard with about as much chance of hitting the right notes as a short-sighted bird of prey trying to locate a small, fast-moving vole.

He sighs. "If you play that again it'll be repeating all evening," he says, making my performance sound like a small, indigestible gerkin, and brings proceedings to a temporary halt by putting on a tape of carols at top volume.

It's the last day of term and the first parents are filing into the church to get the best seats. Jesus may bid the children shine with a pure, clear light, but it's an injunction that doesn't apply to pianos. This one is fitted with a very small clip-on beam that keeps the keyboard in deepest darkness and illuminates only the first few notes of the hymns, which is great if it's metaphors about the state of my soul I'm after but of limited use when it comes to belting out the music. I point this out to the vicar. "Did I tell you about our really excellent new director of music?" he says. "Really first class. Nothing's too much trouble. Marvellous man. He always has this light. Doesn't seem to have a problem with it."

It occurs to me, belatedly, that really competent pianists like the director of music probably don't need sight of every note at least half a bar before it's played, whereas visual clearance is an absolute necessity as far as I'm concerned.

The result, inevitably, is a sort of race, where my hands, plunged into darkness, take on an independent existence from the rest of me during the service, and I can only listen, often aghast, at what they come up with as they attempt to translate my woolly instructions into notes. As a result, carols with a lot of repetition - 'O come all ye faithful' a particular favourite for this reason - get faster and faster as my confidence levels rise, while others ('In the bleak midwinter' a prime example) are executed at the broken canter of a novice jockey confronting the hurdles of the Grand National for the first time.

Amazingly, we all finish the carols together, although the vicar, who spends much of the service cast down in apparent gloom on a seat next to the choir stalls, casts contemplative looks in my direction from time to time, especially when I attempt to add a fifth verse to the four perceived to be perfectly adequate by the rest of the congregation at the end of 'O little town of Bethlehem'.

The final chord rings out, then rings out again, this time minus the three extra sharps that had somehow crept in and I stop abruptly. The blessing is done and the children and parents leave, to the sound of five pound notes rustling into the collection plates like dry leaves.

For one terrible moment, I thought I'd never see my lovely hands again. But here they are, back in the light again, ready to come home with me for Christmas.

So let's hear it for the arrival of Jesus - not once, not twice but six - yes, SIX times. I've welcomed Him twice on the piano, once on the violin and three times as a spectator. My father would have been proud of me. Though, as he was Jewish, maybe not.

And what could possibly be nicer than those favourite old carols? After careful consideration, I’d say a double brandy would do it every time. Five renditions of Away in a Manger is enough to tip the bi-polar balance of the toughest brain cells into deep depression.

I decide to skip the staff lunch, pleading death, and leave home, trailing brain cells, spare notes and a palpable sense of relief in my wake.

12 comments:

Mya said...

Bravo!
You make your piano playing sound like Les Dawson - I'm sure it's not that bad. Pour yourself a large brandy and revel in that end of term feeling.

Mya x

Omega Mum said...

Mya: I'd like to say you're wrong, but given that several members of staff now gurn at me whenever I make a truly spectacular mistake, I can vouch for the fact that Les Dawson is alive and well and teaching Key Stage 1 pupils. I've also been compared to Morecome in that Andre Preview sketch. That and the fact that I keep urging the school to hire a real music teacher who can actually play the piano. But there's none so tone deaf as those who will not hear, so what can you say?

Iota said...

Omega Mum, I can't see an email address on your profile, so I'm afraid I'm going to have to clog up your comments - you can always choose not to put this up on your blog and email me so we can chat one to one.

Anyway, I thought of you all evening. I was at Mr Dary's concert. I am feeling very very tempted to break my self-imposed blogging silence to post about it. Every minute was a blog post moment. The Christmas tree was knocked over by the curtains, the microphones squealed with feedback, the opening number went horribly wrong because no-one had worked out how long it takes 240 children to get onto a stage - or indeed whether 240 children could fit on this particular stage, there were children wobbling precariously on benches, there was talk of how old and historic the building was (built in 1907) which had me and Husband giggling smugly into our hands, there were no drinks in the interval because the venue had specified that they had just had a new carpet fitted and didn't want anything spilt on it. There was an excruciating violin solo (4 of them playing Ode to Joy).

The best thing, though, was Mr Dary himself. He was, Husband and I agreed, an amalgamation of Morecambe and Wise. He played both the straight guy and the funny guy. He looked like Morecambe, but with Wise's height. By the end of the evening, every time he had to do the fill-in bit between numbers (which took ages because the event took place in a huge venue, which the kids hadn't been able to rehearse in, and whole classes went missing), Husband and I would look at each other and murmur "that was very Morecambe" or "that was totally Wise".

He demonstrated two different ties that played Jingle Bells. He kept telling us how wonderful our kids are (this is a fail-safe with parents isn't it?) Then he did a duet 'White Christmas' with his wife, who, disappointingly, was called Elizabeth, which neither scans nor rhymes. Why ON EARTH didn't he marry a Mary?

Please don't publish this as a comment - I've wittered on far too long. I just wanted you to know that here in the middle of the North American Plains, where the buffalo used to roam free in their herds of millions, and pioneers forged new lives for themselves out of sheer determination, here, someone was thinking of you, and wishing you were here to enjoy it all. I think you'd have found it a hoot.

And you did ask how I was.

Blimey, how's this for spooky?! I've just looked over at the comments, and you're talking about Morecambe yourself. Wierd or what? (and did you check how he spells his name, because I didn't and I was wondering?)

Potty Mummy said...

Aah yes - but can you do the Eric Morecome trick with the glasses?

lady macleod said...

I can only imagine that Jesus must be grateful for your efforts as is the Vicar. All cheers with the brandy and sail on.

Ellee Seymour said...

Your kids school finished early, my son doesn't finish until next Wed.
My youngest son is singing at his school carol concert next week in Ely Cathedral. I shall miss these services when he leaves school.
I'm sure your piano playing was brilliant.

The Woman who Can said...

But if all the children sing off key, then you'll be in perfect harmony, won't you? Try & think of it as their problem, not yours.

molly gras said...

I'm sorry, but did I read you right? YOU get to imbibe at your school-sponsored staff party.

I'm so jealous. I'm always wanting to be trashed when I have to endure the company of several of my teaching/administrative counterparts.

Booze is the only way I can cope in those circumstances.

Cheers to you and your continued holiday insanity :)

I Beatrice said...

Les Dawson the pianist visits our house too - now that my grand-dsughter has advanced far enough with her piano lessons to demand that I play duets with her!

And oh, when emboldened by this brave venture, I decided to have a go at Scott Joplin's 'The Entertainer' - well, with all those huge chords and my arthritic fingers, "oh oh oh OH!!!" is all that can be said.

So you see, you and the baby Jesus are not entirely alone...

So glad you got through it all though - and there must be rewards somewhere for heroines of your sort! So Merry Christmas, and have a lovely break.

BTW, that vicar's name is not Porteous by any chance, is it......?

Anonymous said...

We had a music teacher once who couldn't play the piano for love nor money. She tried, but it just never happened. I haven't a clue how the kids at the school learnt to sing the right notes.

Crystal xx

Omega Mum said...

Iota: Clearly I couldn't keep this comment to myself because you are just too funny and it would have been selfish (though I was quite tempted, I have to admit). It's obvious that Mr Dary was fighting his fate when he failed to marry Mary but we all know what happens when you kick against the pricks. It's only too obvious that Elizabeth is destined to be crushed by one of the lights next year as they sing their duet (frankly, that's showing off and it's punishable by death. Every music teacher knows it) at which point Mary will step over the body and carry straight on with the second verse, to which she'll have added a couple of extra lines that include that Mary/Dary rhyme. The audience will erupt into something (possibly an abulance, given the crush potential of all those marauding children). I can see it all now.

Omega Mum said...

Potty Mummy: Since the children took my glasses and apparently used them to hang from the ceiling with, I can answer 'yes' quite truthfully.

Lady M: Jesus has been silent so far but I'm hoping for a good punch up come Xmas Eve.

Ellee: It was adequate but only if you're not picky. Ely Cathedral - how gorgeous! Lucky you.

Tina: You're so right. Life of Brian moment, really.

Molly Gras: Well, there was alcohol down my end of the table - somebody might have brought it, though - it was needed, believe me.

IB: But I bet you could play it, couldn't you? And if you practised, you probably could play it again. Whereas I will never be able to play it, at least, not the way it was written.

CJ: I don't live near you, do I? What did she look like?