Wednesday 19 December 2007

The point of it all

"You have three children?"

"Yes, that's right."

Marion, the travelling hairdresser, is having her seasonal allergic reaction to holly, ivy, crackers with miniature handbells in them (Lakeland do them, if you really want to know) and piped carols, and is taking a break from hair so she can get her whole head sorted out instead, perhaps teasing the brain stem nodes into a pleasingly assymetrical arrangement with a fringe and fixing it with a blast of hairspray.

I've resorted, instead, to the local barber's which is run by two brothers and, despite an astonishingly large pole outside (bastard offspring of one of those outsize pepper pots beloved by Italian resaurants and a range of 'Arrogant' brand hair gel (extra big tubes only) promises unisex haircuts together, though not advertised, with an interesting line in scissor-side chat.

"Your brother told me he has a daughter in Instanbul," I say, to break a silence that has now lasted several minutes.

There's a pause as the barber meets my gaze in the mirror. His expression is completely blank.

"If he told you, it must be true."

"You don't sound convinced," I say.

There's another long pause, then:

"I don't see the point of this conversation."

Point? Since when did the edict go out that conversations with your hairdresser had to have a point? On the contrary, I thought that they were an exercise in comfortable non-sequitors which would at some point include holiday destinations, rain or the lack of it, the political situation - though painted with the broadest of brush strokes to avoid offending anyone, and a celebrity or two.

The haircut is finished in silence.

The next day I bring Leo and Deborah; Beth, who has spent several hours washing, straightening and then pouting at her hair in a mirror, refuses to come.

"On holiday?" the barber asks them. They nod.

"Lucky, lucky, you," he says. "I wish I was a child again."

"Why?" I'm about to ask him, always fascinated by this sort of comment and keen to know if people really mean it and would, if given the opportunity, trade places in order to labour through their lives all over again.

But, remembering the previous day's exchange, I bite the words back.

"I hope I didn't offend you yesterday," I say later, after I've paid.

"No. I am.....a big softy," he says, looking straight at me, deadpan, eyes as dead as any I've ever seen.

If he's a big softy, I am the Queen of Rumania.

7 comments:

Mya said...

I once lied to a hairdresser about having a holiday booked in the Carribean - (I was only young - thought I was being clever.)He then proceeded to interrogate me about where exactly I was going, which island, hotel etc. He knew the Carribean like the back of his hand (whereas I didn't - at all) I just stared ahead glumly at my face in the mirror glowing puce. I never talk to hairdressers now - so your guy sounds like a breath of fresh air.

Mya x

Iota said...

In my experience, hairdressers tend to ask "are you going out tonight?" - which in my sad case is a totally pointless question.

I Beatrice said...

As a conversation stopper "Your brother told me he has a daughter in Istanbul" has got to be up there with the best OM!

I'll try to remember it, for the next time I'm trying to get in first, before they ask me if I'm doing anything interesting at the weekend! That always has such a way of making me feel lowest of the low, dullest of the dull - since I am almost NEVER doing anything interesting at the weekend!

My very good wishes to you and your family just the same. It has been such fun being in contact with you - and I still hope to be able to pop back to visit now and then.

Merry Christmas meanwhile - you do so deserve it, and I'm sure you'll be able to bring it off, one way or another!

debio said...

You've just reminded me that I'm having my hair done on Saturday!; my Californian hairdresser has given up to spend more time with her family - formerly worked in Beverley Hills so was given first hand goss on the stars.

Hey ho - I think it's back to holidays and the weather - the latter being a very short conversation indeed....

Anonymous said...

Some people are so touchy aren't they.

Crystal xx

DJ Kirkby said...

Oh dear...I feel incredibly sorry for this man and also an urge to start getting my hair cut at the barbers so that I can avoid pointless conversations at hairdressers.

Omega Mum said...

Mya: So what do you do when you're there - go for the non-commital 'mmm' when anything's said, or just take in a book, which I've always wanted to do but never quite dared.

Iota: At least they don't finish it '......ooking like that?' which, in my case, they very well might.

IB: That sounds horribly like a sign off. I do hope not.

Debio: What a great shame. And how lovely to have all that lovely gossip.

CJ: He was really rather too scary for my liking.

DJ: I think inconsquential may be less unsettling, though.