Saturday 29 December 2007

Putting the carp in carpe diem

To say I've always had a cautious approach to life would be an understatement. Take insurance. I loved the notion that whatever my worst fears - illness, death, hideously defrosted food, snow on the BBC weather centre, Jonathan Ross' contract renewal, somebody would take my money and bet me it would never happen. Finances being what they've always been, I never did anything about it, you understand, but it was a lovely notion.

In the same vein, I used to save up my pocket money diligently so when that special, once in a lifetime toy came along I'd be there, waiting, able to recognise it in an instant and snap it up.

It took me a long time to realise that there was no such once in a lifetime toy and to accept that I'd be better off throwing away my pittance on rubbish like all the other kids.

Now, I'm treating my life the same way. I hoard it, anxiously trying to predict the unpredictable, guarding against accidents, impulses, extremes of emotion so when 'IT,' the once in a lifetime 'do it now, throw caution to the winds' moment comes along, I'll be able to grab it with both hands.

Only problem is that I think I may already have missed it.

So it's no wonder I'm struggling with the prospect of 2008. It's such an in yer face event. There you are, meandering through the dog end of December, days that seem as unwanted as the remnants of the Christmas turkey when everyone starts thrusting a whole year at you. And as for all those predictions that come with it - they're as vague and ill-defined as the presents in a Christmas stocking.

For somebody who finds living for yesterday or even the day before ordeal enough, seizing the day is an utterly alien concept. Having an entire year to seize is almost more than I can bear.

10 comments:

Gwen said...

I think that you should not let the idea of making any sort of resolution worry you. In my experience all resolutions made at New Year are destined to be broken. The only thing you should be seizing my dear is a good bottle of whisky and enjoying the moment. Have fun!!

Motheratlarge said...

Can heartily sympathise with you, Omega Mum. Right now, I'm stuck in a nasty case of office politics from 1993. And upset about a bloke who dumped me in 2001. Then there was a friend who drifted away in 2005. I try to live in the present, I really do, but all these ghosts keep crowding in on me. Think the post-Christmas slump and too much time on my hands might be partly responsible. Love the line about these days being like left-over turkey, by the way.

Anonymous said...

Love this post! from p.t.

Frog in the Field said...

I hate New Years Eve celebrating, it's just another day for Gods sake. Nothing changes, it's all exactly the same the next day, I don't get it to be honest. There, I've probably opened a hornets nest but I really hate it.
There's too much pressure to be happy and carefree at New Year, and also to be all forgiving and friendly..Baa Humbug!
I'm not like that about any other time of year, and quite a freindly happy sole usually..honest!

Unknown said...

Be a refusenik, I say. Stop the clocks, give the dog a bone, erm... go to bed early, then. NYE is the most over-rated sheep-fest known to mankind.

I can wish you a happy one without wishing you a happy one, can't I?

;)

o xxx

DJ Kirkby said...

I am happy making an attempt to cope with each day as it comes; thinking about a whole year would give me the screaming abdabs!

debio said...

Oh, OM, sounds as though your glass is half empty!

So, from one 'half empty glass' to another - Happy New Year!!

No predictions, no resolutions; let's just fill our glasses for yet another toast and drink the whole b***** lot!

Omega Mum said...

Thanks, Gwen. Cheers

M@L: Sounds like the ghost of Christmas past.

Anon: Thanks for visiting. Glad you liked it.

F in the F: Why do it to ourselves?

Orchidea: Again, so exactly my sentiments, except better written. And happy ones back to you.

DJ: I congratulate you. So sensible.

Debio: Thank you - toasting you in Gwen's whisky.

Iota said...

Oh, Omega Mum. The line that caught my interest was "Only problem is that I think I may already have missed it". I am wondering if there was one marvellous life chance that you passed up and now regret forever. What could it have been?

Or is it just general malaise?

I always thought crappy DMs were statement footwear, anyway.

I Beatrice said...

Seize it anyway OM! It can't be a whole lot worse than the last one - and who knows, it might even be a whole lot better?

Though with Gordon's latest rumblings in the background (about denying NHS treatment to those with unhealthy lifestyles), I'm having the gravest possible misgivings already, and am wondering what alternative planet there might be to which I can escape...?

Onwards and upwards to you and your blog though - there's simply BOUND to be a moment for you to seize in 2008!