Tuesday 18 December 2007

Felled by the feel good factor

By the time I reel into Deborah's nativity play, I'm not in good shape.

I've been knocked for six by Noel, dazed by Divinity, felled by the feel good factor. And as for the seasonal alliteration: my dear, it's definitely getting me down.

Forget the Ice Queen and the splinter of snow that pierced Kai's heart (Kai - half boy, half goldfish, presumably): mine's been immobilised by a small, wiry strand of tinsel.

My parental credentials have already been somewhat undermined by Deborah's nativity outfit being sent back home again, owing to lack of fitness for purpose.

"They asked for a white skirt, white shirt, white tights, and that's what I sent them," I say to Deborah, indignantly.

"But it's a ballet skirt, Mum. They said it looked too much like what the angels are wearing."

"So?"

"Mum, I'm Mary. Mary doesn't wear a ballet skirt."

"And just show me your theological proof for claiming that angels do," I say, then realise that I've had one too many sledgehammer v nut moments this year and that it's time to pull back.

Deborah ignores me. "They said not to worry, they'd sort out my costume themselves."

This, coming from a resource-impoverished state school, has to be one of the most degrading bits of feedback possible. To be honest, though, I'm so thrilled that I've been let off the hook that, as long as they don't invite me up on stage and make other parents throw copies of the National Curriculum at me as a punishment, I decide I can cope with the humilation.

It's clear that I've made another fundamental gaffe when I get to the performance, depositing Deborah round the back of the hall first. The other children are arriving in their costumes. Deborah has been asked to leave hers at school - the only one, as far as I can gather. Perhaps they're worried that, in a fit of pique, I'll infest it with allergy-triggering dustmites.

All the other parents are waving tickets. Tickets? "We had to apply for these weeks ago. Didn't you get a form?" says a smug-looking mother. Short of shouting, "I'm Jesus' granny, let me through," it's hard to know what to do, until a kindly looking teacher manages to find me standing space by pushing and shoving the crowds until a suitable sized gap briefly appears, and shoving me into it.

Deborah, diminutive and toothy, mumbles her lines to herself for several seconds before delivering them, like an old lady exploring the taste sensation of a custard cream, but delivers them, eventually, with apparent enjoyment. The real straw above the manger keeps falling down, the three kings arrive present-less and the pianist, I'm happy to note, loses her way in 'We wish you a Happy Christmas,' going on so long after everyone else has stopped that at this rate she'll be ushering us all into a Happy Easter and beyond.

I sit, feeling completely detached from it all, but applaud diligently. If I could just have a tinsel bypass, I might even feel quite proud.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm impressed. Swiss state schools are secular and don't do nativity plays. So the little man was a supporting character in a rather new agey, pagan-ish solstice tale that involved him saying four rhyming lines, running up a flight of stairs, falling asleep and snoring loudly. Robber #2, he was, and had a bag of swag that was bright red nylon with a drawstring and had "Bern Mobil" emblazoned on it.

Sorry for cluttering up your comments. If I wasn't so dozy I'd blog about it. Well done you and my father's wife and every harassed mother whose heart quakes with dread at the thought of running up a costume for a school play...

Iota said...

I think you can hold your head up high. Mary definitely wore a ballet skirt. Practical for donkey riding, you see. Can't quite put my finger on the Biblical reference just at the moment...

Omega Mum said...

Orchidea: Is that all linked to Switzerland's famed neutrality - neutral in religion. Except I thought all the cantons were divided by religion, so perhaps it's just a peacemaking gesture. You never clutter up my comments. On the contrary, it's lovely, lovely, lovely to hear from you again and I promise to start visiting other sites soon. I've just been out of time.

Iota: If you can't come up with some pun on a Bible chapter, I'd be very, very surprised.

Anna said...

Half boy, half goldfish. Love it.

Potty Mummy said...

OM, things could be worse. At least Mary got her lines right. Boy #1 announced after nursery today that he was going to sing me a song about Jesus, accompanied on our rackety piano by Boy #2. He then proceeded to sing of how Baby Jesus was bored in the manger by Mary and Joe, and went off to play football with the shepherds.

I am not making this up, I swear. He even took a bow, to his younger brother's enthusiastic applause. I would have been less concerned if it hadn't looked quite so like a curtsey.

Mya said...

There you are, you see? It's official - there are worst nativity play pianists out there.
Loved the custard cream bit - right up my street!

Mya x

Casdok said...

Lol!!!

Iota said...

Now that was a challenge I couldn't resist (as you suspected), and had me running off in the direction of a Bible. My surprising discovery was that the donkey doesn't appear in the story. We all know what a central character he is, and yet the Biblical narrative writers didn't even give him a mention. Very careless.

I did also come across this verse in the footnotes relating to alternative and sometimes unreliable ancient texts: "And verily the shepherds were astonished when they noticed that the tea towels which adorned their heads matched in colour and design the ballet skirt which Mary wore. They said unto each other 'as if the chorus of heavenly angels wasn't enough, surely this is a sign from above', and marvelled mightily."

Not a lot of Biblical scholars know that.

Anonymous said...

Our school performance last year was ticket only. Not for sale, just trying out a system that obviously didn't work because this year it was first come first seat, oh except the first 3 rows at the front.

Crystal xx

Omega Mum said...

Anna: It is a very stupid name. I'm sorry, but it is. You'd want to be coating his packed lunch in breadcrumbs.

Potty Mummy: Sounds like the basis for a first class alternative nativity plot to me.

Mya: I was quite openly delighted by the mistakes, though, which probably didn't do me any favours.

Casdok: Glad you enjoyed it. Come with me next year.

Iota: I was wondering when you'd come across them. King James authorised, of course - I'm afraid ballet gets only a passing reference in the 'Good news' version - though I think their line-dancing verses (Solomon) are exceptional.

CJ: If Deborah ever gave me letters from school, ticket systems would work fine. As it is, she never remembers to tell me and I never remember to ask, so it's doomed, really.

I Beatrice said...

Too late to help you now alas, OM!

But my daughter, who is a dedicated non-dressmaker (and also a dedicated non-cooker, ironer, or almost anything else vaguely domestic come to that)... my daughter, faced with the stern edict of the "your daughter is to be Mary in the school nativity play, and you are required to provide her costume" sort ...
my daughter simply googled "MARY,COSTUMES FOR" , or something of that sort, and came up with a long list of costume providers, one of whom sent her back a Mary kit by return of post, price £7.

Not that she mentioned this fact to the school itself, or to any other mothers, mind! Oh no, she smiled smugly and let them suppose she'd stitched it all painfully in the wee small hours herself. But if you'd like the address for next year, you have only to ask and I'll email it to you.........