Saturday 5 January 2008

A feather from Lovely land

"Happy New Year," says Lovely Mummy to Vicky and me as we collect our children on the first day of the new term. A small form hurtles towards her. "Oh, sweetie, how was your day? Come and give me a big hug."

She and her daughter hold each other close. They are wearing identical coats, hats and gloves and no doubt would have gone for a 100% clothes match had the the school's brutal uniform policy not intervened - though her petite figure and ability to buy clothes for herself in children's departments means that a large sweatshirt and regulation hairband can't be completely ruled out.

Lovely Mummy is new to the area, and has yet to work out that some school run audiences are more sympathetic than others. "So, did you draw a picture of your guardian angel, like you said you would?" Her daughter nods, looking up at her with a radiant face.

"Woman's obviously got a paid residency in Lala land," says Bad Lindy, very nearly quietly enough not to be overheard. She's come to persuade either, or preferably both of us to thrust our children into the hands of the nearest gullible-looking parent and join her in a post-Christmas drinking session.

"I know it sounds silly," says Lovely Mummy, defensively, "but I'm quite sure everyone has their own guardian angel. You ask them something and tell them what sign you'd like them to send you as the answer. When I wasn't sure if we should move here or not, I asked for a feather if it was the right thing to do and two weeks later, a beautiful snow white feather floated down and landed in my hand. So I knew." With great dignity, she takes her daughter's hand and sets off down the road. We watch, temporarily silenced.

"Blimey," says Bad Lindy, "Let's hope she doesn't ask her guardian angel what it thinks of me. Forget feathers. Give it couple of weeks and she'll get a flock of pigeons flying over and crapping on her head."

17 comments:

Potty Mummy said...

Good god. 'Temporarily' silenced? I would have been wordless all the way to the pub.

Omega Mum said...

Potty Mummy: So - another exile from Lovely land, I take it. Join the club.

dulwichmum said...

Lovely Omega Mum!

I want a friend like Bad Lindy! I have been a lovely mummy for the last couple of days, I have stopped shouting and I sit in the corner and smile so very often as the munchkins destroy our minimalist abode... James asked me this morning if my "spirit" was "broken", and I replied that Tesco's finest Chablis has been on special offer for a couple of weeks now. My munchkins are off until NEXT BLOODY WEDNESDAY!!! Pass the corkscrew.

Omega Mum said...

Dulwich Mum: I think a good plan for 2008 would be to ask the police to forget about those weedy community officers and instead recruit a network of Bad Lindys so we could all benefit from her unique interpersonal skills.

Anonymous said...

I found a feather earlier when cleaning up. It's usually a sign of a visit from a spirit.

Crystal xx

Omega Mum said...

CJ: Thanks for this. I will pass it on to Vicky and Bad Lindy but I suspect there may be a little residual cynicism to deal with.....

Casdok said...

I find lots of feathers, but my cat will keep catching birds!

Potty Mummy said...

Not sure I'm an exile, OM. That would have meant that I was there in the first place... I think I'm just too cynical to ever have been given citizenship

Omega Mum said...

Casdok: So long as you're sure they've not winged an angel, I'm sure it's nothing to worry about. If there's a halo lying on the doormat, you may have problems.

Potty Mummy: How right you are. Sorry.

Motheratlarge said...

How about getting her together with Cultured Mum? Now, there's an axis of budding evil if ever I heard of one.

Had to cringe as I read this. Am not petite (alas) but - must confess - am into feathers/guardian angels and similar. Please don't stop being my blog friend because I told you that.

Omega Mum said...

M@L: I would never knock either guardian angels or feathers because I know a lot of people believe in them. It's just that Vicky and Bad Lindy don't.... but I promise not to write about them often.

Iota said...

Oh you are a cynical lot. Try this one - it works for me pretty much every time. You say to your guardian angel "If you want me to do the washing up and tidy the kitchen, send a green dog past the window right now. If you want me to have a glass of wine and watch a bit of tv, let mr find the corkscrew in the drawer right here." I find my angel answers in a very reliable fashion.

Omega Mum said...

Iota: My entire belief system has changed, thanks to you. Shame the bottle's already finished for the night, or I'd try it out now.

DJ Kirkby said...

I'm with Iota on this one...

Omega Mum said...

DJ: I think we could have the makings of a new belief system.

I Beatrice said...

A stiff blast from Jeremy Clarkson usually dispels the angels and the Lovely Mummies, I find...

I mean, a man can't be wholly useless who has succeeded in offending the Germans, the Koreans, and the Arch/b of C all in the space of one week!

Omega Mum said...

IB: Very robust! How are things going?