Thursday 31 January 2008

Power-dressing the rubberised trousers way

It's fair, I think, to say I'm not looking my best. A sudden mid-journey rainstorm means that I'm now wearing rubberised trousers over my power-dressing skirt, causing it to settle like a snowdrift between my legs.

I look, according to taste, either like someone simulating the arrival of the placenta for an educational but tasteful video on giving birth, or Miss July from the Mature Fetishists' Calendar.

At this time of day, the hall is normally empty, giving me the chance to commune with my marracas before the first class arrives. But today, even I can't miss the ominous hush that's seeping out under the door and through the cracks in the window.

Pushing the door open, I'm confronted by interesting spectacle of 40 or so parents, all the children, a full set of staff and Sasha, who is tapping her watch and looking distinctly angry.

"Class assembly," she mouths at me with her back to the parents, dislike managing to jet, like steam, between her clenched teeth. "Had you forgotten? Fortunately, I was able to keep everyone entertained for a few minutes with a few jokey anecdotes about the importance of timekeeping while we were waiting. Oh, and you might want to kill the fluorescent bobble hat."

It's hard to stride into a crowded room full of strangers at the best of times; a good deal worse when a bunched up power dressing skirt has compelled you to adopt a legs apart rolling seafarer's gait.

I sit down on the piano stool, a good 3 inches higher than normal thanks to the extra padding.

"Let's have the worry song," says Sasha. "It seems appropriate."

Fortunately, it's one I know by heart as it's a school favourite, for reasons I still have yet to fathom:

"Worry is a scary thing, often makes us ill
Reasons can be differing
Really causes jittering
Yet worrying about things doesn't get them done
So talk to someone who can help
Together make a plan
Deal with your worries one at a time
You can, you really can."

"Thank you," says Sasha. "Now, let's have year 2 telling us all about how to be nice to each other."

At the end of the assembly, she leads the applause.

"Now, everyone," she says, "I think we've learned some very important lessons about being nice. And what I'd like you all to do - teachers and parents as well - is to turn to the person next to you and tell them something you really value about them. And when you've done it, put your hands up."

Sitting apart from the others at the piano has never felt more isolating. Soon, mine is the only hand that isn't up.

"Oh dear," says Sasha, "Our poor music teacher. Do you think nobody could find anything nice to say about her? I do hope not. I think we should all find something nice to say to her during the day to cheer her up for being in a bit of a rush this morning, don't you?"

There's a general murmur of assent, then:

"School dismissed," she says, and the whole, awful business comes to an end.

21 comments:

Potty Mummy said...

Oh. My. God. That's all I have to say. Oh MY God.

Omega Mum said...

Potty Mummy: Strange to say, I rather share your views. However, it is the first time I've ever missed a school assembly like that (though I'm sure it won't be the last).

Expat mum said...

Wait - aren't you in the UK? This sort of executive coaching of small children only goes on in the States. This morning my 4 year old says they all have to "respect each other's bodies" which is another way of saying, "Punch anyone again and you're in the corner mate".

Iota said...

Punctuality is a hugely over-rated virtue. There. That could be the first line of a song for the next assmembly.

Do they really sing songs about worry in school assemblies these days? How very, um, Big Brother (as in the book, not the tv show). Makes me a bit nostalgic for 'He who would Valiant Be' or 'All Things Bright and Beautiful' - more uplifting somehow.

Mya said...

I love the image of you in your rubberised trousers over power dressing skirt - this look is going to be HUGE, I just know it. And the scope for placenta accessories is just endless.Handbags, i-pod covers, sporrans etc. I'm sorry, but I did laugh at your expense - but in a nice way. And I think sitting behind the piano is the best place to be when you are instructed to turn to your (complete stranger)neighbour and prattle some inane lie about how wonderful they are. I HATE THAT. Sasha needs sorting out. Very quickly. Before she does any further damage. Call in the big guns - I think you know who I mean.

Mya x

Omega Mum said...

Iota: It depends. We do the old favourites, too (both of yours included) but sometimes when there's a theme to the assembly they want something a bit edgier. (Edgier - songs about worry - I must be off my trolley).

Mya: It's THE look for the 21st century, and you heard it here first. Music teachers lead the way where fashion is concerned. It's a self-evident truth.

Omega Mum said...

Expat Mum: Even in the UK this horrible coded chat is coming in. It's vile but hard to fight.

Anonymous said...

It's them and us. Which one are you? Only joking. I sometimes sit in our staff room and wonder which one I am.

Crystal xx

Omega Mum said...

CJ: My problem is that I always have quite a clear sense of being me without ever feeling either part of 'us' or 'them'. But I'm working on it.

snailbeachshepherdess said...

well I guess my rant of today is somehow linked to this go and have a look!!!...I'm fine thanks OM ...just back in full time work ...scarcely time to breathe never mind blog!!!

Motheratlarge said...

Potty Mummy said exactly what I thought after reading this posting. How can you bear it? I still cringe when I hear school staff described as the 'management team'. I hope whoever was sitting next to the vile Sasha found something suitably faint-hearted to say to her.

Omega Mum said...

Snailbeach Sheperdess: Nice to hear from you. Popping over to see rant in all its glory.

Mother at Large: I overcome it because I am able to escape through the medium of The Arts. As if...It's a job, dammit.

molly gras said...

next time ...

saunter in, plunk down over-sized boombox, insert CD, press play, and walk out.

let the melodious strands of Pink Floyd follow you out ...

We don't need no education
We don't need no thought control
No dark sarcasm in the classroom
Teachers leave them kids alone

Irene said...

I hope someone was able to say something nice about your bunched up power dressing skirt, or did it become unbunched in the course of the day? I hate having to say something nice about the person next to me in any assembly. My first inclination is to do the opposite and say something really vile. I oppose any forced forms of niceties and hugs of near strangers. I think Sasha should be tarred and feathered.

Iota said...

Worry is a scary thing,
Really, it can hurt you.
Punctuality is a
Hugely over-rated virtue.

Vast improvement on your school's existing worry song, don't you think?

I Beatrice said...

It's as I said before - Sasha is just a big poo! And will sooner or later be exposed as such. By some little Year One darling probably - out of the mouths of babes and all that...

But I do feel for you in your present plight. The Sashas of this world are very hard to put down. And even harder to ignore.

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

Came to you via sbs. Just loved this but am alsonot sure how you stand it. The worry song had me making vomiting noises over the side of my chair. I may not be in tune with the times.

Anonymous said...

Possibly the nicest thing someone could have said to you in this context would have been "You do not belong in this fetid soup of madness. Hide your shoulder pads in the piano and run, run like the wind!".
Come to Belgium. Today's collective school activity was burning 'Mr Winter' in the school yard (last year there was petrol and a blow torch and many opportunities for near disaster). Better than 'Autumn days for the nine hundredth time, non?

Omega Mum said...

Molly Grass: It's style, it's sassy - could mean no job..but, hey, it would be worth it.

Sweet I: I can't say the compliments were exactly flowing but I get all the support I need right here, thank you all very much.

Iota: You do the words, I'll do the music and we'll be cashing in the royalty cheques in no time. Love it.

IB: I suspect that being a big poo may possibly be part of her job description, that's the problem.

Elizabeth M: If you're not in tune with the times, you're in very good company. And I'm particularly glad that you specified that the vomiting noises were 'over the side of the chair'. It shows a degree of caution that's commendable.

Jaywalker: Having read your comment I can only conclude that I am secretly Belgian. I'm on my way. Save me some firelighters.

DJ Kirkby said...

Shall I distract them next time so that you can make your escape?

Omega Mum said...

DJ: Would you? Regale them with one of your Wild Hippy anecdotes - I'm sure it will hold their attention for hours.