Tuesday 8 January 2008

Morbid obesity for the living dead

Francis leaves early in the morning, shaking me awake before he goes to ask me if I think he should put a sign saying 'gone fishing,' on the car.

"Leave me alone," I answer, lovingly, "I'm in the middle of a dream about making you a cooked breakfast."

"Pity we've not mastered telepathy yet," he says, "because it's probably the nearest I'll ever get to having one." Pausing only to tip me forty quid - "Buy yourself a new set of matching insults, Madam - the old ones are getting very threadbare," he sets off for the airport, making me wonder why I thought watching Sense and Sensibility together would be a bonding experience.

"Forget sardines - what about line-caught firemen?" says Bad Lindy, hungrily, later, when I go round to Vicky's for tea, sympathy and bad puns after the school run. "Do you think they'll ever get round to farming them?"

"Not unless they're critically endangered. Mind you, the way you've been plundering their resources, that may happen sooner than we think," I say. "Sugar and hydrogenated fat special for you, Vicky?"

"No thanks," says Vicky, pushing away the plate - an unprecedented gesture from someone whose idea of a sophisticated tea time snack is half a dozen crispy creme donuts with lard topping.

"You what?"

"I'm thinking of trying this restricted calorie diet," she explains. Bad Lindy starts to back away nervously. "Is there somebody we should call?" she mutters at me. "What have you been saying to her?"

"It's all the rage this year, apparently," continues Vicky, gamely. "The idea is that you eat almost nothing and live forever, or as near as makes no odds. Obviously you have to weigh everything - in fact, they've even come up with a special calorie counter. And you go off sex. But apart from that, it's really, really good."

"Who invented it?" I ask.

"Some American bloke."

"And is he still alive?"

"Funnily enough," says Vicky, "He died in his 70s. Unluckily he got the only disease that prefers its victims half-starved."

"The only one? What about typhoid, dysentry or cholera?"

"Poor sanitation," says Vicky, primly. "No fear of that here."

"That's a laugh given the way your kids leave the loo," says Bad Lindy. "So let me get this straight. You get to lose all your curves, your libido and your taste buds in order to hang around with a bunch of calorie counting skinny octogenarian obsessives. Sounds like joining the undead, except you don't even get to terrify the neighbours with the pointy teeth and rotting skin. Mind you, I don't think their small talk's up to much."

"Well, yes," says Vicky.

"Way to go, girl," says Bad Lindy. She holds the plate out to me. "A little Victoria sponge with your morbid obesity?"

"Don't mind if I do," I say.

14 comments:

Potty Mummy said...

If you put it like that - I'll have a double slice of cake, please...

Omega Mum said...

Potty Mummy: I'll pour, shall I?

Anonymous said...

Belgian chocolate, anyone? We've had so many chocolates and biscuits this Christmas, I think I might send some to Bad Lindy.

Crystal xx

Omega Mum said...

CJ: No need to send - she's on her way over to you. Can't you hear the crash of footsteps?

Mya said...

I prefer the sound of the fireman diet. Lots of strenuous hose work and helmet polishing - those excess Christmas pounds will be gone before you can shout Pompier!
It's quite scarey to be agreeing with Bad Lindy.

Mya x

Mid-lifer said...

Stop now!! Enough of this talk. I think we should all have a new year's resolution not to talk about diets, weight, putting on the pounds, cakes or new year's resolutions in January.

Bad Bad Lindy - and you're colluding with it Omega mum.

Omega Mum said...

Mya: And there's something so inherently gratifying about the word 'pompier' too. It's scary to agree with Bad Lindy - a lot scarier, from experience, if you don't.

Mid-lifer: You're right. It's just that nobody seems to be talking about anything else, with the exception of the Pope.

The Woman who Can said...

I think if you cut out all of the good stuff, you don't live longer, it just feels like you do. Somebody famous said that, am guessing a fat alcoholic type, which is just dandy by me.

Omega Mum said...

Tina: Living death, then. Can you imagine eaking out the remnants of your life hunched over your calorie counter, gleefully reading the obituraries of all your friends...?

Beth said...

I had a glorious sticky toffee pudding yesterday - yum, yum.

Anonymous said...

What makes you think the pope isn't crouched over his tiny scales omega mum? A man with such a fondness for prada shoes is unlikely to be indifferent to fitting into his robes...
It was a great sadness when the london fire brigade moved to hideous brown uniforms. Fire alerts lost some of their magic suddenly [drifts off into emergency services reverie..].

Anonymous said...

How do yo know how many calories are in things? I dont buy things in boxes and packets - I like fresh foods. I only wonder as xmas has left me a little paunchy... I dont really want to join the idiotic calories cult.

Omega Mum said...

Beth: Proud and unashamed. Like me. Cheers. Well done.

Jaywalker: That was a really profound comment - at least at the beginning. You're so right about the uniforms, though.

Mutley: I won't hear a word against your paunch. From the rumours, it's delightful and with a will of its own.

Anonymous said...

RUMOURSS!!! There are RUMOURS!! OMIGOD!! It must look huge... (the paunch I mean.)