Friday 25 January 2008

Filth on a stick

"Did I tell you I was being stalked?" says Bad Lindy.

"You did," says Vicky, "I assumed it was attention-seeking and ignored you."

"I can't think why," says Lindy, with as much dignity as anyone sporting a non-attention seeking microskirt, microshirt, maxi cleavage and very little of anything else can muster. "In fact, I reckon I'm fast on the way to becoming a victim."

If my mouth is as wide open with surprise as Vicky's, you could pop in several elephants and couple of suburban housing developments apiece and they wouldn't even touch the sides.

"That would be after a total redefinition of the word 'victim' to include Vlad the Impaler and Stalin, then, would it?" asks Vicky. "Even then I think you'd be stretching it."

"Seriously," says Lindy. "I've had a very odd text. Frankly, I think it's filth."

Given the fact that Lindy has amassed so much male groin material that she's of setting up 'I-Giblet' - an online rival to I-tunes, but without the music, taste or variety, this is, if anything, more amazing still.

"Go on then," says Vicky. "Let's see."

It takes a while to locate the offending text, as Lindy's nostalgic wander through the sunny uplands that constitute her text archive reveals a cornucopia of giblets that bring back memories. Finally -

"- Look at this," she says.

A blurry, stick-like object, thick at one end, curved at the other is being lovingly fondled by a pair of hands.

"Disgusting, I call it," says Lindy. "Mind you, I'd be interested to know just how he achieved that angle."

A vague memory is stirring in my head.

"Forward it to me," I say, "I'm going to ask Ra. It's not what you think it is."

An hour later, I'm knocking on Cultured Mum's door. She answers it wearing a surgical mask across her nose and mouth.

"Gluten allergy," she says, lowering it to talk to me. "Just been diagnosed. If I cook with wheat flour, I have to avoid inhaling any of the particles or I swell up. You should see my stomach. On bad days it's up and down like a - oh, goodness, I can't think of a suitable metaphor."

"I can," I say, thinking of Bad Lindy. "Anyway, what happens if you need to blow your nose?"

"I've got Tom to build me a little circulating hankerchief on a roll. It works really well except I keep drying the dishes on it by mistake. I'm researching this idea I've got for a cookery book. I was going to call it 'Reaction-free Cuisine'"

"They'll be fighting to publish it," I assure her, then show her the text. Within seconds, either the colour's drained from her face or she's quickly dusted herself in icing sugar.

"A crumhorn. Oh, my God. It's Colin's favourite early music instrument. I recognise the hands. And just when Tom and I have got things on an even keel. We're booked in for his and hers allergen testing next week."

"Colin?" I say, slowly. "Now that is a surprise."

And leaving her to fend off the toxic wheat particles unaided, I make my way slowly back home.

16 comments:

Mid-lifer said...

okayyy...who's Colin? and what the ...is a crumhorn?

My friend G said she was being stalked, but it was just some lonely guy texting her I reckon.

Or maybe she's just attention seeking

Omega Mum said...

Colin was a music enthusiast who had a bit of a thing for Cultured Mum until Bad Lindy got rid of him. Or so she thought (happened a while back). And a crumhorn is some goddam awful flute-like instrument that died out a long time ago. I think meteorites got it, others reckon it's down to a sudden onrush of good taste.

Alda said...

Can you post a picture of it? Please?

Omega Mum said...

Alda: i owe it to you and will try.

DJ Kirkby said...

I am amused and slightly confused! I love your blog, makes me wonder if you wander around muttering to yourself while writing the posts in your mind till you can transfer them onto your blog!

Omega Mum said...

djK: Worryingly, I think you may be right. Tell me more of your confusion and I'll try to clarify the muddly bits. I'm sure there are lots!

Irene said...

So Colin sent Bad Lindy a picture of a crumhorn? I need to google a crumhorn. Maybe I should google Bad Lindy too. I may find pictures of both, that would be exciting. Although I keep forgetting, Bad Lindy is just a figment of your imagination, isn't she?

Casdok said...

Yep picture please!!! :)

Omega Mum said...

Sweet I: I have found a picture of a crumhorn but it doesn't seem to want to be displayed. Will have another go. Obviously very quiet and retiring. Yes, do google Bad Lindy.I'd love to know what shows up.

Omega Mum said...

Casdok: OK. Trying hard. Crumhorns of the world, unite. I am a little worried about fuelling some early music movement from my blog which is not my purpose at all. If I post it, promise you won't try to take it up?

Anonymous said...

I've never met a crumhorn I didn't like. I like your writing too. You sound just as crazy as me. Thanks for visiting my blog.

Sue

Omega Mum said...

Old S: I'm glad you were able to offer a positive crumhorn perspective. Much needed. Thanks for coming over.

Anonymous said...

I thought it was going to be a penis!!!

Omega Mum said...

For the life of me I can't see why, Mutley. Oh, darn, I'm just going to have to get the hang of this whole business they call innuendo, aren't I?

Irene said...

I've found a picture of a crumhorn, it really does exist. How could we have doubted you for one minute.
http://www.busymolemusic.co.uk/images/crumhorn2.gif
I'll go look for Bad Lindy next.

Omega Mum said...

Sweet I: They're amazing looking things, aren't they? And, I gather, with quite a following - including Colin. I promise I will try to post a picture, but not having much luck so far.