Friday 1 February 2008

Blowing it

It's playtime and I'm just about to call in the children for choir practice. My plastic trousers are sizzling on the radiator like a left-field hors d'oeuvre in a low-budget cookery programme with a brace of shoulder pads, resembling refugees from an experimental sanitary towel factory, keeping them company.

Outside the hall, the children are, as usual, peering putting their heads round the door like tiny spies. Either they're struggling with the metaphysics of self, context and reality or else Sasha has bugged their healthy eating snacks with little cameras and is paying per second of compromising footage.

I text Bad Lindy, Vicky and Francis to update them on my morning so far:

"Think may have blown shoulder pads gambit."

"What about mixed presentation platter of oily fish? Known international friendship symbol," suggests Francis, whose brain has clearly performed a successful separation exercise from the rest of his body and is now living underwater and suffering from pressure sickness.

"Stupid c***," texts Bad Lindy, with the characteristic depth of sympathy and fellow feeling that's made her such a strong contender in the 'Confidante of the year' awards. "Try blowing the f****** recorder instead. It's the only language she understands."

As I pick up the special non-trip rubber casing into which the overhead projector lead must be inserted, thanks to new health and safety regulations, retching slightly as I encounter its own protective coating of old jelly and bits of second hand sausage, making it to tactile sensation what strychnine is to tea at the Ritz, Conrad appears.

"Miss," he says, "I don't really want to come to choir." I wink at him. "Conrad," I say,"I'll let you into a little secret. I don't want to, either. But if you don't let on, nor will I."

12 comments:

Potty Mummy said...

Oh, to have had a teacher like you...

Omega Mum said...

Potty Mummy: You can. I run correspondence courses in swearing, drinking and decomposition.

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

I feel I am struggling to keep up, much the way I used to do in music lessons. Must try harder.

Omega Mum said...

elizabethm: That's my fault. Sorry. Typical teacher, pressing ahead with subject without checking that class is keeping up.....

Irene said...

I am hanging on by the skin of my teeth. Sometimes I think your blog is for very advanced and highly evolved people only. Then again, it could be the hour of the night I am reading you and it is a simple case of insomnia causing the neurotransmitters in my brain to misfire. Either way, I always figure that by the next post, I am caught up again and somehow everything begins to make sense.

Casdok said...

Can i sign up for your drinking course?!

Dumdad said...

Two awards await you at my blog.

debio said...

Why is Sasha so high rpofile in your world, om? Has she the time to be so meddlesome in the Maths Dept., for example?

I'm finding her preoccupation with Music difficult to reconcile; not that there's anything wrong with Music but she seems to have an emphasis problem (amongst many others).

Bet Conrad loves you!

Omega Mum said...

Sweet I: Just think of me as a cure for insomnia. I am sorry it is till not clear. I will do my best to make it easier to understand.....

Casdok: I've got a space under a perfectly delightful little table reserved for you, next to mine.

Dumdad: Were I less raddled, a delicate flush would suffuse my cheeks. On my way. Thank you.

Debio: I think it's the problem with music. Everyone thinks they know how to do it better than me. In my case, I suspect they're probably right.

I Beatrice said...

Do you follow the trials of Gareth Malone in his attempts to bring music to schools which long ago abandoned the tradition of it? I refer to the BBC 2 programme 'The Choir' - which I think will be just as thrilling as his earlier venture in creating a choir in Northolt, and taking it all the way to the Choir Olympics in China.

Inspiring stuff - which you might find encouraging as you do daily battle with the likes of Sasha and the Staff Recorder Group....

Even the indomitable Gareth failed to make a chorister of that alpha male, the rugby coach, mind you - but his efforts in every other respect are entirely to be applauded. Or so it seems to me.

Omega Mum said...

IB: Gareth M. actually brought a tear to my eye with that documentary. I'm writing to him tonight, as it happens, to ask for help...

Iota said...

Crocs for OHPs are part of Health and Safety these days? Blimey, glad I've left the country. What will they think of next?