Thursday 28 February 2008

Dawn chorus

"She won't move!"

It's 7.00 am and Deborah is sitting on the floor in the middle of the kitchen, making loud mewing noises, while Leo rapidly loses his temper nearby.

"Deborah, if you want to make sounds like that, go and make them in the sitting room."

She disappears. Within seconds, the mewing starts again, only louder.

"I said 'Go into the sitting room,' " I say, as Leo shows every sign of leaving his brief simmering phase and going instead for rapid boil mode, like those extremely fast kettles that are being advertised, though with the additional features of being much redder in the face and also capable of sudden, explosive violence.

"I am in the sitting room," says Deborah.

"She's in the doorway, which is why it's just as loud," says Leo, slowly, deliberately and with considerable force.

The cat, who has always had a nice sense of timing, chooses this minute to make an appearance from the garden and treat us to a new game of her own devising, called 'Keepy Uppy with a mouse." The mouse has every appearance of enjoying the game less than the cat, though the screams from Deborah as Leo finally runs out of patience may also be contributing to its general air of malaise and world-weariness.

We catch the mouse in a shoe. It runs up the shoe and falls out from a considerable height, attempts to stand up and falls onto its side. The cat, obviously brimful with new ideas for fun things to do with a small rodent, reappears before we can stop her, and bats it in an exploratory way with a sheathed paw. We recapture the mouse and release it outside. It huddles under a wall, looking vulnerable.

"We should put it out of its misery," I say, as I always do.

"Well, I'm not doing it," say Leo and Deborah, jolted out of their argument by the excitement of seeing something that's so obviously a much bigger victim than they are, despite being so much smaller.

All this, and there's still breakfast, school snacks, school uniform and my own departure to organise.

By the time I get to my first lesson, I feel as if I've already completed a full week's work.

"What do you say to your music teacher?" asks the class assistant, as the children line up at the end. I can only hope they see fit to recommend a large G&T followed by the rest of the day in bed.

11 comments:

Iota said...

Any hint as to why Deborah was making mewing noises...?

Expat mum said...

Yes, mornings are more trouble than they're worth - except we can't escape them. My new one is that my 15 year old has a late start on a Tuesday morning. That happens to be the morning when I volunteer for the world's largest jumble sale at school (garage sale in the USA) as well as having to get little one in for 8.30am. Since the teenager is not the most reliable, I now have to come back home (a three block walk I will admit) to make sure a) she is out of bed, but more importantly b) she locks the front door when she leaves. Yes, I know I should just leave her to her own devices, but not when the front door is concerned.

Irene said...

We used to get lots of presents in the form of mice from our cats when the area around us was still waste land. Now it is all built up and there are no more mice. I like it better, but now our boy cat brings home chicken carcasses from the neighborhood trash bags. That's not much fun either.

Charlotte said...

Ooh a large G&T and a lie-in! Can I have one?

Omega Mum said...

Iota: I knew you'd ask that. I have no idea, though she is, apparently, jealous of the cat, which could account for it.

expatmum: How do you manage to do that? OK, you win for early morning stress - esp the bit about the front door. And why a garage sale every week? I must know more....

Sweet I: ..true - but at least the chicken carcases don't run around when you try to catch them, and it gives lots of scope for bad jokes about how they're coming home to roost.

Charlotte: I'm doing you a sick note now.

Casdok said...

Can i join you with that G&T too!

Anonymous said...

Ooh competitive early mornings, count me in. Here's the Jaywalker formula for psychosis:
2:45 get woken up by alarm that children have entertainingly reset. Assume it is morning. Stumble downstairs and start mechanically making breakfast. Glance at kitchen clock. Weep. Return to bed. Fail to get back to sleep until 6:30.
6:45 Rewoken by alarm. Stumble back downstairs. Massage tortoise's bottom for 15 minutes with iodine (don't ask. really, don't.)
7:00 Children wake up. Noone will get dressed without imposing stringent conditions. Eldest requires me to accurately reproduce various esoteric Pokemons in jam on his toast. Youngest rejects all clothes as "not soft enough". Find only acceptable tshirt in dirty washing and dab halfheartedly at stains. Fashion pikachu from banana peel and wotsits.
8:00 fail to prise random assortment of objects from children's fingers before dragging them out front door. run down road. Youngest falls in puddle. Back to house. Change. Still no accetable clothes. Dig deeper in dirty washing.
8:15 drop children. go to work.
realise on tram that am still carrying 2 toothbrushes, a plastic lizard and a slipper. shove deep into handbag and feel around optimistically for a hipflask.

molly gras said...

The puking plague at school?! Earthquakes?! Rodent infestations?! Siblings brawling?! OMG - it's the apocalypse!!

Alls we have left are the raining frogs, swarming locust and our mothers-in-law to descend upon us for an extended stay!

Madness and mayhem ~ it's time to hand me the bottle opener.

Omega Mum said...

Casdok: Ice and lemon with yours?

Anon: What a funny comment. You win the early morning nightmare content and I withdraw....the field is yours.

molly gras: So just another day all round....

DJ Kirkby said...

Ah you made me laugh and boy do I need it! I was given my notice today as the woman who's maternity leave I am covering is coming back to work months earlier than expected...it could only bloody happen to me! Now where did I put that bottle of brandy?

Anonymous said...

Hi Omega Mum, "anon" was me, Jaywalker, your Belgian correspondent, failing to cope on a grand scale! This morning came with added vomiting, but thankfully the tortoise massaging is temporarily over as the vet has abducted it again... Hope your Monday has been bearable, though it seems unlikely.