Wednesday 6 February 2008

Climatic

The migrating mould has broken all previous records, arriving earlier than ever before and bursting out with vigour in the bathroom where it has forced the grout into ignominous retreat and now delights the entire family with its glorious black moistness as it consolidates its territory round the edge of the bath.

The wall down the side has awoken from its winter hiberation and is moving again, possibly to a more desirable area where property prices are stable. As it sheds its dowdy old bricks, no doubt in the fervent but utterly misguided belief that, thanks to bountiful Mother Nature, new ones will soon grow back, we can only admire its willpower as the garden gate is gradually shaken clear of its frame.

The neighbours, too, are stirring. They aren't usually seen until after dusk, darkness providing cover for their characteristic behaviour - deliveries of anonymous hate mail and cries of, "Who did threw that brick? I'll get you, you little b****** if I see you again."

It's a wonderful world. Let us rejoice in it, using the repertoire of quaint old four letter words that Thomas Hardy so strangely omitted in his classic works. Sometimes I feel that here, strangely, I am closer to nature that he ever was.

I love you all.

13 comments:

Expat mum said...

Ooh, please miss, please miss, I know. I have been watching "How Clean is Your House" on BBC America and mold (sp?) is very easy to get rid of. I am sure they used a very "green' version but a diluted bleach spray also kills everything. Get your Marigolds on - or rather, buy the daily a pair of those lovely rubber gloves with a furry trim.

Irene said...

I love you too, Omega Mum, with your moldy, moving walls and your four letter worded neighbors who probably have never read Thomas Hardy.

Life can be rough in the city. It's a hard road to travel, especially when all you want to do is stand still and enjoy the four solid walls around you.

There must be a better future ahead for you somewhere. I imagine a quaint village in the English countryside with a pub and a little schoolhouse and kind gossipy neighbors. You could take up gardening and hand knitting sweaters for elderly inhabitants who live in drafty cottages.

I think that would be best, Omega Mum. I would come and soothe your weary brow and make you cups of tea. Right, that's all settled then.

Casdok said...

It is a wonderful world!!
And we love you to!!

Mya said...

You've been at the vodka again, haven't you?

Mya x

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

Since the mould was once at my house and has clearly moved on to yours, take comfort from the fact that in a year or two it will move on. Or maybe you will.

Omega Mum said...

Expatmum: Well done, that girl. Have a housepoint. However, I have tried bleach. The spores laugh in its face. Perhaps the 'How Clean' team has better, nastier bleach. It's really unfair.

Sweet Irene: Join the love-fest

Casdok: Yes, indeedy

Mya: I never touch the second bottle until after 6.15 so at least I'm exercising a little restraint.

elizabethm: Or maybe it will move with me. On me, even. Is that possible?

molly gras said...

Ugh! Mold: Slimy pestilence.

I hate mold and mildew -- not easily defeated stuff and a terrible source for allergy suffers (like myself).

Makes you want to move to Siberia when it begins its territorial assault within the confines of your abode.

Ugh!

I Beatrice said...

I don't believe for a moment that you have neighbours like that, or bathroom mould like that! Come on now, come clean - you live in some entirely salubrious little corner of Surrey where the walls never move, except to breath a little more easily in springtime, and the neighbours are, if not Hardyesque precisely, then the descendents at least of Betjeman's tennis-playing Joan Hunter Dunn, who speak with proper accents and never ever EVER resort to vulgar demonstrations of wrath....

You're just teasing us, I know you are!

DJ Kirkby said...

I suspect you live next door but one from us by the description of you lovely neighbors!

Anonymous said...

Same problem here in my little corner, somewhere in the North West of France... can't get rid of it. And we've had so much rain this year that it is worse than ever. And you know what ? Even on my car ! Yes. I swear.

Mutterings and Meanderings said...

It's migrated to my bathroom...

the rotten correspondent said...

award at my place...

Omega Mum said...

Molly Gras: 'Slimy pestilence' - you've been at the poetry again - remember what I told you.

IB: I wish! But thank you for giving me the fictional lifestyle I aspire to. Now I have you living in that very nice bit of Ham/Petersham

DJK: Haven't you seen me creeping out with my music every morning? I've waved, you know.

Chonchon: For a moment there, I read it as 'cat' and got really worried - but car is bad enough.

M&M: It's spreading faster than a blog award - and that's saying something

The rotten correspondent: How exciting. On the way.