Monday 25 February 2008

Table manners

Normally it's Francis who makes bizarre home decor decisions but this month, it's my turn. And I've taken full advantage of the fact.

The table was heavily reduced at the end of the sales and, judging by the torn and tattered nature of the price tag, had been for some time when I saw it - two enormous clues that could scarcely have been any more obvious if they'd come with big, red labels reading, "Don't buy this table," or "Unbeatable offer - exclusively reserved for the stupid and gullible!!!!"

Clearly my deerstalker hat and logical deduction gene is a more than normally recessed one.

"That's a very good price," I said to the assistant who gave me a look that I took, at the time, to be one of shared complicity but was, I now realise, a prime, "Is this one really this stupid or does she simply have a first rate sense of irony," expression.

"Mmmmm," she said, without committing herself.

"Large. Cheap. Slightly scuffed. Cheap. Solid..."

"And cheap," she chimed in, cleverly sensing the way my mind was working.

"I'll take it," I said.

She gave me another of those looks. This time I think it was tempered with pity.

"I hope the table's OK," said Francis, after he's dragged what looks like the hull of the Kontiki into the kitchen, "because it's so heavy I don't think we'll ever get it back out again."

He sets to work with a screwdriver and puts on the legs.

"Mmmmmmm," he says, as the fourth goes on, sounding like the assistant. "Right. Help me turn it over."

"A triumph," I say.

"Did you try sitting down before you bought it?" he asks. "No? Go on, then."

When I do, the fatal flaw strikes me. The table is ludicrously high. If you're less than six foot tall, sit down and your head bobs above the table top like a swimmer in choppy water. Deborah will struggle to see her plate in the evening, let alone manage to point her cutlery in the direction of the food.

"Bloody hell," says Lindy, as she sits down at the new kitchen table. "What sort of look are you aiming for? A tea time dwarves' symposium? Mind you," she adds. "It could be quite fun. I've always thought you come with some much more exciting names for Snow White's little friends........"

12 comments:

Casdok said...

I can just imagine you all!! Lol!
And thank you for you comment, i had to laugh at that to, as its what i do!!

molly gras said...

Drippy, Sleazy, Dorky, Humpy, Creepy, Grody, and Perve ~ yep, that'd be my list of new Seven Dwarves names!

molly gras said...

And about your table troubles ~ can you say 'hacksaw' baby!

DJ Kirkby said...

Lol leave it to Lindy to take the shine off or to buff up the shine on that table depending upon how many interested dwarves she entices over to yours...

Omega Mum said...

Casdok: Well thank God it's not only me....

Molly G: What's Grody? And can I borrow your fairytales book when you've finished with it....

And is that 'hacksaw' as in 'Hacksaw la Vista, Baby...?'?

DJK: Will update you on dwarf situation as soon as have some news.

I Beatrice said...

Have a carpenter saw a few inches off the legs. I did that once, and it works perfectly.

Or failing that - sue the shop for not displaying it with chairs in situ. You might even get them under the Trades Description Act - for not having pointed out that it was a table not intended to be used with chairs.

Then there are always cushions of course - my dining chairs require two apiece for anything like comfort....

Anonymous said...

I think we should have appreciated a photo... in order to see how beautiful your table is.

Irene said...

Ha, ha, hee, hee, you have me sitting here laughing out loud as I picture all of you sitting there with just your heads peeking out above the table top and poor Deborah barely able to peep over it. You poor things you.

When sawing of a length of the legs, always measure from the top of the legs down and make your mark, so as to get evenly cut legs. My husband told me this and I must never forget it, or I will be put to shame and go to hell or something equally bad.

Then you will have a nice table after all for very little money and nobody will laugh at you anymore. I bet that sales woman didn't even think of that possibility, having no such brain cells capable of it in her tiny head.

Oh, my God, you do amuse me, Omega Mum, He sure was generous with you when he dealt out humor. I can always count on you to give me my daily dose of amusement, even when I am down in dump city. Even down there you reach me.

Dumdad said...

You can all grow into the table, so to speak...

Anonymous said...

Well done on the award.

Home improvements: great fun. Any photos of your new Snow White look?

Crystal xx

Kelly Innes said...

You didn't get it from furniture village did you? I use to work in their customer complaints department and this was a regular.....

Omega Mum said...

IB: You're right. It's just that I've only ever seen this on bad US sit coms and you always end up with just the table and no legs...I am convinced we'd be so drawn to the cliche that it would never work. But we should.

Sweet I: I am glad you're enjoying it - and thanks for sticking with the blog even during the confusing bits....

Chonchon: Will post photo if I ever get tall enough to take it..

Dumdad: My brother is over seven foot, so it's perfect for him - it's just the rest of us I worry about.

CJ: I know I should do pics but am a techno-illiterate. Yours are wonderful, though.

Kelly: Really? How funny. What were the other problems? Go on, do a post about it. I'd love to read it.