Tuesday 23 October 2007

A brief pause

"I've never liked that sofa."

"Well, what about your old car?"

"I inherited that."

"Well, I inherited the sofa."

"And there's your desk."

"What's wrong with the desk?"

"You spend the whole time working at it. Or playing the piano. And I have to work at the table on my lap top. I feel I just don't have my own space."

"But you have an office. With your own desk. And a phone. And a photocopier. And a boss who takes you out to lunch."

"I could work from home, sometimes, but I choose not to, because I have nowhere to work."

There now follows a short intermission while desk space is suitably rearranged to strip out all Francis's excuses and put this working at home offer to the test. Pass up the chance of a husband being at home more? No way.

The car goes, though. Perhaps as a trade for the sofa.

See you all in a day or two.

9 comments:

DJ Kirkby said...

But what will you DO with him once he is underfoot more? Was he inconsolable after the car went to a good home?

Anonymous said...

You have to be awfully committed to working at home if it's going to work that is. Neighbours usually eats into my day at 1.45 and before that (when it was on) Dallas was being shown at 12pm on UK Gold. Not that I'm a telly addict or anything.

Crystal xx

Anonymous said...

As if you're not busy enough, I've set you a little task.....come over to my blog!

Frog in the Field said...

You know what your man working from home means?
1.You'll never have a clean cup in the house.
2. He'll ask you what you're doing now? every time you sit at the computer.
3. Every time you go out, he'll ring your mobile to find out when you're coming home.

Gwen said...

I wish you the best of luck in your working from home experiment. You never know - it might just work.

Potty Mummy said...

My husband works at home sometimes.

Be careful what you wish for...

Unless you are happy to forfeit computer, phone, and the opportunity to make ANY type of NOISE whatsoever. Then of course, there are the additions to your to-do-list which husbands probably also come up with when they are in the office but have the good sense to forget or discard by the time they get home. When they work from home; no chinese wall, no sense check.

But perhaps that's just us?

I Beatrice said...

We have come up with the perfect solution at our house - a dear little hut at the bottom of the garden, with heat and light and broadband access. (Mine of course!)

debio said...

Husband home more?

I should certainly advance to Mayfair (sounds a bit like a 'Chance' in Monopoly...).

Or maybe you have..? Have a good couple of days.

Omega Mum said...

DJ: The car will never go. I thought writing it would make it come true but it won't. And I am not cruel enough to force him. Not yet, anyway.

CJ: I can see that the TV schedules would be a huge problem but fortunately our children are gradually working the on/off switch and losing the remote control so soon the temptation will be removed

Nunhead: i will, I will

FintheF: Really? Oh, God, I think I'd rather he carried on commuting after all.

Gwen: Thanks for note of optimism.

Potty M: Have to say that you sound typical, judging from other comments received and posted.

IB: How lovely - and do you rent it ouit?

Debio: Small lottery win and single life in Mayfair sounds just up my street, frankly.