Friday 12 October 2007

Together at last

"There are times," says Francis, gloomily contemplating the last of his fish and chips, "when I wonder whether it's all worth it."

We've not got the weekend off to a particularly good start.

Beth is banned from riding after calling Leo a 'hyperactive bastard,' at the top of her voice just outside the front door, watched by a small, but interested crowd of locals, including two of my pupils.

"I was calling it through the letterbox," she says, indignantly, as though shrieked insults were some new and long-awaited improvement to the postal service.

Leo is banned from seeing his friend, for having returned from the local park an hour and a half later than promised.

"But I just forgot," he says, outraged, as I attempt to explain that forgetting is the nub of the problem and the reason we were scouring the area looking for him.

Deborah is banned from the TV for being generally small and stroppy and wilfully perching on top of the sofa so she can accidentally-on-purpose roll off it on to other people's newspapers, glasses of wine and homework and then claim that it was an accident.

"Nobody knows how hard it is to be a seven-year old," she wails at us, before departing upstairs with two dolls and the kitchen timer to play some fierce, muttered game no doubt involving forced confessions and electric shock torture.

"I'm working my guts out," continues Francis, "and nobody seems to care."

I study his guts - or, at least, his gut. There's definitely rather more of it than there used to be. I bite back the thought that working a bit more of his guts out might not necessarily be such a bad thing.

"At least it's Friday," I say.

"When's the plumber coming to fix the cistern? It's still not filling properly."

"He thinks he'll be able to make it first thing on Saturday. About eight."

"The one morning I don't have to get up early and now this," says Francis, as though he's the victim of a family-inspired attempt to deprive him of sleep and sanity. "If I were a dog, I bet the RSPCA would re-home me."

"They might," I say, "But don't forget they'd neuter you first."

18 comments:

belle said...

Another loudly laughing post - brilliant!

Omega Mum said...

So glad you enjoyed it, Belle, and nice to see you over here.

I Beatrice said...

Just a pretty normal family on a Saturday morning then, OM. Your kids have obvious guts though - I wouldn't squash them too much if I were you.

Speaking of which - guts that is: I'm intrigued to know just what it is that poor Francis is working his out over just at present? Is it still the pizza-sick promotional stuff - or has he moved on to higher things? Not that it's in the least my business of course - but can't help wondering.

And where are Lindy, Ra and Colin and the gang....? I miss them.

I Beatrice said...

Just thought I'd share this with you - from my favourite Saturday morning read "Social Stereotypes", by Victoria Mather and Sue McCartney-Sbape, in the Telegraph magazine....... (**)

"Christmas special at Pizza Express: Turkey pizza with brussels sprouts topping".

Splendidly and entirely festively sick-making wouldn't you say? Just thought Francis might be inspired by it anyway, if he's still in that line...

(** Do look for this weekly piece if you don't already know it. These two are among the funniest and cleverest women I know, and would make incomparable bloggers. Their Telegraph pieces are also published regularly in book form.)

Frog in the Field said...

Dear Omega Mum,
This is laugh out loud funny.
My daughter also perches on the edge of the sofa so she too can accidently fall on everthing.
Poor Francis, I too have days like these.
Last Friday night I was helping at school. My husband phoned me in a complete panic, a lady had just called my business line (at 7.30pm) needing an order. He reassured her I would call her back within half an hour to take her order etc. "You must come home, it's a huge order".
I ran into the house 20 minutes later, dialled the number..
She'd just been on Amazon and bought some books instead..for 40 children...now that was annoying.

The Woman who Can said...

OM, I think you should send yourself to your room for some perceived bad behaviour. Take some chocolates & wine. If you're really bad, you might have to stay there all weekend

Irene said...

Oh family life, it's such a joy and I am so glad it is mostly behind me now. I get to live it vicariously through you and laugh about it, thanks to your wily sense of humor. Never stop amusing us, Omega Mum, you are a barrel of fun!

Omega Mum said...

IB: So glad to hear we're normal.Francis keeps saying that no other family behaves like this (add the capital letters, bold, underlined bits ad lib)

IB: Have encountered them in paper and they're spot on.

FITF: Bet she'd have been a nightmare customer if she had placed the order. You're probably well out of it.

Tina: What a deliciously naughty idea. And I do feel some very, very bad behaviour coming on.

Sweet I: Thank you for your lovely comment.

Anonymous said...

Poor Francis, he does have a ruff time of it..

Crystal xx

Potty Mummy said...

You are totally normal OM. After the day I've had with a husband complaining, napping, and generally being stroppy I HAVE to believe that...

Motheratlarge said...

Wish I had your ear for dialogue, Omega Mum. Lovely posting.

Unknown said...

HA!

Omega Mum said...

CJ: Very droll

Potty Mum: Thanks for the reassurance

M@L: No special talent required. Wait till Beanie gets older and keep a notebook handy - then get trascribing.

Snuffles: Pithy but welcome

Gwen said...

And I moan about being single? I shall moan no more! Thanks for a very funny post.

DJ Kirkby said...

'Deborah is banned from the TV for being generally small and stroppy and wilfully perching on top of the sofa so she can accidentally-on-purpose roll off it on to other people's newspapers, glasses of wine and homework and then claim that it was an accident!' Hilarious, you have just described N3S...except for the samll bit. Oh I do love your blog so much!

Omega Mum said...

Gwen: So glad you enjoyed it

DJ: You are so damn kind. And look, I've got a lump in my throat now and it's all your fault.

DJ Kirkby said...

Had to come back and read it again 'cos it is just too funny. I want *stamps feet* to write like you do!

DJ Kirkby said...

Ooops, just saw your 'tear in eyes' reply. You really are a great writer, why not submit excerpts to the 'Friday Project' or 'Paper Books'?