Friday 26 October 2007

Squirming

I used to think I had the signs of bad motherhood pegged. The desire for a glass of wine as your small bundle of joy greets you at 3.15 with a shriek of rage because you have, yet again, brought the wrong biscuits.

The outright refusal to read any bedtime story that bores you.

The occasional refusal to read anything at all.

The tendency to substitute Franklin the Turtle with whatever you're desperate to finish reading for your book club. (I can tell you now that few 7-year olds relate to Primo Levi. More fool them, perhaps).

But today, I have surpassed myself.

Readers, I forgot to worm the cat. No, more accurately, I thought I had wormed the cat but it turned out, I can only assume, that I mixed up the sachets of combined flea and worm treatment and flea and tick treatment and administered the wrong one.

And saw the consquences - bits of a tapeworm nestled cosily in the undercarriage of my cat's fur, apparently sharing a laugh and a joke about the humorous ability of primitive lifeforms to ruin an indequate mother's day before preparing to voyage further afield - obviously to attack my children with their toxoplasmosis-harbouring worm buddies - who, for all I know, were staging a pre-dawn invasion with the slugs showing them the way.

I was there at the vets just before opening time, thanking my lucky stars that it was Bad Lindy's morning off. Normally, she's doing her meeting and greeting act at the door, shrugging on her overalls with exaggerated difficulty, embonpoint pointing out into the street like weapons on a disputed border crossing.

The cat was caught, wormed and forbidden re-entry by 9.00 am. As I type, she's circling the house, mewing, tail held high, the better to display the evidence of failed worm control policy. I've put out food. I've even put out a towel for her to sleep on but I am still guilt-ridden.

Every time one of the children blinks, I assume they're going blind.

"Don't mention the cat," I keep saying to the children. "And do you have any flu-like symptoms? Or worms?"

They look at me as if I'm mad. (Is madness a symptom of toxoplasmosis, or am I merely mad?)

But I'm not really mad. Because the icing on the cake is that in less than twenty four hours my in-laws will be here, testing my cooking, my childrens' manners and, though they don't realise it yet, my emergency parasite management skills.

And it's all completely and utterly my own fault.

9 comments:

I Beatrice said...

I'm holding my breath for you over the in-laws' visit, I really am! Nobody should have to shoulder the kinds of burdens you seem to have to shoulder every day. In consideration of which I'm reminded of something I read somewhere.... that things can be as bad as they like, but that "if you wake up in the morning, you're ahead!"

I have to remind myself of that more and more often, the older I get.

But on the other hand, where would we be, your delighted readers, if suddenly one day all your little catastrophes were to cease?

(Not that I'm wishing further catastrophes on you, mind...)

Anonymous said...

A healthy dose of toxoplasmosis never harmed anyone unless they're preggers, surely? If your daughters catch it you'll be doing them a big favour - they'll have the required antibodies by the time they start to breed (which hopefully won't be for years and years yet!).

(Of course I might be wrong!)

;-)

Iota said...

It's not all your fault. It's the worms' fault. And the cat's fault. You are a minor player in this drama of blame-bestowing.

debio said...

Why not just get rid of the cat? That's one less problem - and they're always trumpeting their independence anyway.

Good Luck with the in-laws visit!

DJ Kirkby said...

Ewwwww. Poor cat but she simply has to stay out! Just to reassure you (speaking as a midwife) your children and yourself are probably already naturally immune to toxoplasmosis as you have lived with a cat for some time... sooo just the in -laws you need to worry about...but on the other hand...if you were really desperate...ahem...going now!

Omega Mum said...

IB: I try so hard to come to terms with my lot - but at least it's funny. A martyr - that's me.

Orchidea: What's the betting it takes over from botox as a good way of freezing the face, or something? Lovely you're back. Owe youa visit.

Iota: I'm a no-blame person, myself. How lovely to know it's a beautiful, natural feeling

Debio: Well, if you're sure. Off I go then....

DJK: Medical reassurance. My favourite. Thank you.

DJ Kirkby said...

Lol...your scarcasm virtually dripped off the screen...

NH Yocal said...

Love your writing. You really set the bar for describing mommyhood and being an avid pet owner...who am I to say--I haven't fed my fish in a week and that is sadly the most minimal care possible. The pet police should be coming after me any day now : )

Good luck with your in-laws!

Omega Mum said...

DJ: I'm a lovely person, really, just with a cracking dark side that I normally hide in the attic.

Melinda: Thanks for your lovely comment. Keep lowering the standards of motherhood. We owe it to ourselves. Good luck!