Friday 5 October 2007

Meanwhile, back at home........

Beth:

"Those growths," Beth says, pointing with a trembling finger at a small outcrop of five, almost invisible blond strands on one ankle, "are ruining My Life."

I am Good Mother. I agree to wax her legs.

"All my other friends' mothers pay for them to go to a salon."

"How do you know?" I ask, giving a possibly over-sharp tug to the wax that's clinging to her left kneecap like a barnacle, while making a mental pledge to track down the offending mothers and rake their credit cards with machine gun fire, thus putting a temporary halt to their runaway spending power.

"Because - ouch - they've all got photographs of the first time they went."

I add selective mortar attacks on salon cameras to my To do list.

I am not Good Mother, but Bad Mother. And Cheapskate Mother, too, because of my reluctance, mainly financial, to put her almost negligable body hair into the hands of experts.

"Look on the sunny side," I say. "At least you don't have a moustache. But if you do, don't worry. Mum'll fix it." I grin, horribly, and Beth disappears to her room with a muffled shriek.

Francis....

is not happy with his lot, and has taken to wearing socks with a cheery skull motif to get the message across. "How's the job?" I ask him.

"The job? Oh, I don't think about the job," he replies. "It's just an interlude between the two-hour journeys to and from work. And it's costing a fortune. If fuel prices go up again, I'll only be earning just enough to cover my travel expenses."

It's lateish, the children have conversed in screams, kicks and blows for two solid hours and I'm torn between presenting him with a perfectly cooked lasagne, teamed with a green salad and glass of rough, yet delicious red wine or raking him with machine gun fire, too. Decisions, decisions. It's so deliciously difficult to choose.

"My life feels like a series of issues loosely bound together with blood ties," I tell him.

He looks at me thoughtfully for a minute. "No it isn't," he says, finally. "It's a series of wisecracks, loosely bound together by events."

He could be right. There are times when I think adopting the Marx Brothers as role models (wrong sex, but who's checking the pants?) has done me few favours. Laugh at your own punchlines, these days, and you laugh alone. Cry and there's a reality tv show out there just waiting to flood to the rafters with sympathetic tears. I bet yesterday's warm up men are being tastefully renovated as weep up men, proudly getting audiences in a suitably dismal mood before the first of the heart-wrenching confessionals comes on.

I serve him his food and go off to watch 'A night at the Opera' for the umpteenth time, on my own, while the sound of muffled fighting persists overhead.

13 comments:

Casdok said...

I had to laugh!
Lovely post!

Omega Mum said...

Glad you liked it, Casdok. Must add you to the blogroll.

Anonymous said...

Yes, fuel expenses. How can we forget. Everytime the diesel wagon arrives with cherry (red) diesel of which we are unable to use in our cars, the bank balance goes into automatic panic.

Thanks again for your advice today.

Crystal xx

Omega Mum said...

It's a dog help dog world round here, CJ. Delighted to be of assistance.

Anonymous said...

You are hysterical, and a very talented writer. I stumbled across your blog and it made my day. I'm going to bookmark you, and come back to visit the next time my 15 year old starts whining about how terrible her lot in life is. Keep on laughing, it's the only way to survive!

Annalaise

Potty Mummy said...

Gosh I hate it when a man knows me better than I know myself. Would probably have plumped for the machine gun fire in your situation.

Anonymous said...

Hi Omega Mum,

Thanks for visiting my blog. As you can see, I too am a writer, though my genre is dark fantasy. I'm writing my first novel, which I have posted on my blog. If you're interested in checking it out let me know I'll email you the password.

I'm glad you enjoyed my comic. I started blogging a few months back when I got interested in the Lifetime TV show Blood Ties. (Which by coincidence, is how I found your site. You used the term "blood ties' in your post and my Google alerts picked it up.) Have you ever seen the show? I highly recommend it. It's full of action and romance, with a very strong female lead and a hot vampire male lead.

A group of ladies, about 30 of us altogether I think, began blogging together on the Lifetime website and became great friends. We moved to ms.gypsy's wordpress blog to stay in touch over the show's summer hiatus and have been together ever since.

What a great, creative group of women from all over the world. We have about a half a dozen aspiring writers in the group, along with several artists and crafters. We're a fun group.

Anyway, I am a professional graphic artist so I like to keep things interesting over there by creating unique pieces of artwork that get the girls going. I like to combine their images into pictures with the show's characters. They get a kick out of it. The comic was made to be transfered onto a T-shirt and send to one of the actors for his birthday.

Yes, we are fanatics and it's a pleasant diversion from the real world.

Stop back any time.

Annalaise

Omega Mum said...

Potty Mummy: Increasingly, semi-automatic weapons get my vote every time.

Annalaise Duchat: Sounds great fun. Good luck to you all.

Anonymous said...

I must be missing something here - one's legs do not, I repeat do not - look photogenic post-wax, regardless of whether you went to the sahlon or did it yerself.

The other girls are lying.

Omega Mum said...

Orchidea - perhaps it's the in the act heroism.

Iota said...

I am FED UP with all this photographing of life's milestones. Life used to be life. Now it is a series of opportunities for photographs. Some of them are vaguely genuine, but a lot have been manufactured. It starts with pregnancy scans and videos, and these days, mothers go along to get studio portraits of their toddlers looking dreamy and hugging the bump containing the sibling-to-be. This is child manipulation of the worst kind. The dreamy toddler has no idea of the horror that awaits them in the arrival of a screaming bundle who is going to compete for their adored mother's attention, and win hands down.

I can't believe "first leg wax" has become a photo opportunity. Where will it all end? First nose-pick? First ear-syringing? First toenail clippings preserved in a little urn, complete with photo of mother holding clippers and father looking fondly on? When I am prime minister, I'm going to put a stop to it all. Vote for me.

Omega Mum said...

Iota: I think death is a totally underrated topic, too, for photography. Consider yourself elected - as long as you promise never to refer to yourself as 'Daughter of the Manse' or mention 'Prudence' - except in relation to girls' names - pace Gordon Brown.

debio said...

We're at the same stage, om; daughter had complete 'Veet' last weekend - unfortunately burned her skin so she went around with arms held aloft for simply hours....

Now, if I'd asked her to do that.....