Tuesday 23 October 2007

Riding for a fall

"I'm beginning to see why you won't film me when I'm riding," says Beth. She's on a bed in a side ward in children's A&E, arm loosely bandaged, the grey look beginning to fade from her face as the painkillers she's been given kick in.

"This'll be the matching injury," says the nurse, watching as the ambulance wheels in the next trolley.

"What do you mean?" I ask.

"Once we've got a riding fracture, we always get a rugby one to go with it," she says. "I think there's probably some NHS quota."

She's right. A small boy in a sports shirt and shorts appears, with a heavily bandaged leg.

There's nothing like riding for extracting maximum maternal anguish once a week for an hour, though I dare say bear-wrestling and sword-swallowing come close. If possible, I leave and come back later. When compelled to stay, I will resort to almost any means to block out the sound I know is coming - the thud of body on loose sand, including.

Once, in desperation, I played recorder scales very loudly with all the car windows closed. I'd like to say I got sympathetic looks from the other parents but as they stared at me, open-mouthed, before hurrying past, it was clear that they were hoping that somebody would get me back into that straightjacket before the lesson ended.

We've enveloped Beth in body proctectors and hats, swathed her hands in gloves and her mind in warnings but she remains horribly keen.

I don't want her confidence to be destroyed but, as we sit together, I can't help hoping that doing a Thelwell and taking the jump beautifully, but without the horse, and making a heavy landing on her elbow might make her consider the allure of a less active hobby, such as crochet work or rug-making.

"It wasn't Hero's fault," she says. Hero? Huh. Some hero, I think. "It was me. I knew he had a tendency to stop suddenly and I just didn't push him on."

The only place I'd like to push Hero at this precise moment would be into the knacker's yard, along with all his equine colleagues and probably the riding school owners, too - not because I blame them, merely for acting as a spur to my daughter's enthusiasm.

After the break has been X-rayed, confirmed and plastered - choice of six colours and a glitter option for the party babes among the casualties; Beth settles for light blue - we make an appointment with the physiotherapy department.

"You'll need to come back the day after going to fracture clinic," says the senior receptionist, "we don't like to book physiotherapy on the same day in case they run late."

When I ask for a spot of leniency, pointing out that the logistics of arranging a teaching job and three different sets of school finishing times for two consecutive days will require a certain amount of juggling she says, 'Well, we'll see what we can do," rolls up her sleeves and sets to work at the computer.

As far as I can tell, she presses every single button, including the funny F ones at the top, and takes so long that she appears to be wrestling time itself, stretching and twisting it so she can manhandle in another hour that will allow us all to honour our commitments.

"Done it," she says, triumphantly, returning from whatever parallel universe she and her computer simultaneously inhabit.

"Mu-um," says Beth. "While I'm not riding, will you drive me to the stable so I can film my friends riding?"

There's really only one answer to that, and it's one I give without hesitation.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Yes of course darling!" Through gritted teeth by any chance?

Great post. Mine have never been into horses thankfully...just safe stuff like Quad biking and motocross.

Iota said...

Oh poor you.

I love your description of the nurse wrestling time itself. Mind you, if they can arrange matching injuries to come in at almost the same time, it does sound as if they can do quite a lot from that department.

I Beatrice said...

Oh my word, poor Beth! And poor you..... Having spent a good part of my own early life sitting in A & E deparments and hospital wards with accident-prone elder son, I know just what you must have gone/be going through! You and Beth have all my sympathy.

But I'm sure that no child of yours would do what my only daughter once did........ seeing that her brother was constantly having to be rushed to A & E, she took it upon herself deliberately to swallow a screw one day! Just so that she could get some drama and attention too.

Unfortunately for her, no drama was attached, only ignominy - she was merely told to wait, and let nature take its course...

debio said...

Riding is just plain dangerous - there is no way to wrap that up, as far as I can see.

According to my GP it is, in her opinion I suppose, much the most dangerous activity, outranking skiing and motor racing.

Much sympathy to Beth for the injury - much more to you for your endurance.

The Woman who Can said...

Good grief! Do people use the funny F buttons at the top? I thought they were to stop your pencil rolling off.

Did your answer have swear words in it?

Stay at home dad said...

"Yes of course, my car is your car..."?

Sorry to hear it - poor her. And I know what you mean about the time-wrestling...

Mya said...

Ouch! Hope Beth's elbow gets better soon - make the most of not having to endure the riding lessons. I'd have paid money to see you doing recorder scales in a locked car - what a nutter!

Mya x

Anonymous said...

Oh no, poor Beth. And poor you. Hannah's arm is fine now though, and she was soon back to cartwheels and handstands after the plaster came off. I'm hoping to discourage her embryonic interest in horse-riding, as sitting on haystacks has been dangerous enough so far.

Mutterings and Meanderings said...

Bless her.

I have also taken the jump many times without my mount.

It's quite painful when you're teaching/supervising and people fall off too... I lost one on the beach on Saturday ...

Motheratlarge said...

I'm so sorry to hear about this. How awful for all of you. Thank God it wasn't worse, but, of course, the mind runs riot, doesn't it, imagining everything that might have been. So much to your credit that you've encouraged her to ride despite her fears. Wishing her a speedy recovery. Poor wee girl. Take care of yourselves. Big hugs. xxx

Omega Mum said...

Hi, Mutters. Quad biking sounds a breeze. And they don't buck - much.

Iota: I have never seen anyone take so long to make an appointment and she did have the air of someone blessed with extra powers. One can only hope.

IB: I love that screw story. And I can totally believe it. Am sure Deborah capable of swallowing hardware department and drawing attention to it by attaching magnets to her clothes....

Debio: But it's my fault. I encouraged her to feed apple to the nice police horse when she was 4. It was love at first sight. (The horse, not the copper)

Tina: There were several variants on the answer, some coarser than others. But no doubt she'll post her own comment if she reads this.

SAHD: How DID you guess?

Mya: At the time, I have to say it seemed quite a sensible idea, which shows how far gone I was...

Beta Mum: Perhaps we should run a sweepstake on which one of us will be first to end up in casualty again.

M&M: How bad was it? Must be even worse if you're the instructor

M@L: It's not that I've encouraged her, it's more that she's impossible to stop, to the point of threatening to cycle there (8 miles, fast roads all the way) if we won't drive her. So there's no real choice, apart from refusing to wash her jodphurs, and I suspect she'd put up with the smell in any case. But thank you.