Monday 1 October 2007

How I became a teacher.

I once worked in a series of almost identical modern offices where amusing baby anecdotes were banned and anyone over 30 was virtually frisked for contraband Lego blocks, cute photos and shoulder patches of baby vomit.

This was fine with me. After all, my parenting skills were - and are - so negligible that after spending one short day looking after my lovely offspring, my single, childless brother booked himself in for an emergency vasectomy.

I worked part time when the first two children were small and gave up for two years when the youngest was born. But I couldn't bear it. In addition to the money, I needed stimulation.

I also wanted to be surrounded by brilliant people who radiated charm and knowledge in equal measure and, frankly, my three small children just weren't up to the job.

Instead, though, I got a job as a teacher. Frankly, it wasn't my first choice. I'd been here but not for twenty years, when I got halfway through my music teacher training interview, realised that if accepting a place meant that my life was going to consist of people in brown corduroy jackets nodding supportively and rhythmically while I ineptly extemporised to the tune of “Do, a deer, a female deer,” it wasn’t going to be worth living; reached ‘Tee – a drink with jam and bread,’got up and left.

But now the lucky world had been given a second chance to enjoy my Julie Andrews impersonation talents. A school down the road was looking for a part-time music teacher. I wouldn't have to do literacy, maths, cursive writing or make anything out of plasticine, with the possible exception of my acceptance letter. It was job on a plate, part time and mine for the taking.

I took a deep breath and accepted, dusted off my educational qualifications and tried to feel positive about the new vistas opening up in front of me, fighting off the overwhelming sense of doors behind me crashing shut.

Things didn't start well when, on a camping holiday just before the start of my first term, I meet the lovely Sally, who was a teacher, had always been a teacher, probably would always be a teacher and said she loved 95% of all children and couild see good in the other five per cent.

I loathe 99% of all children, mine included, and can see good in the other 1% only with the aid of an electron microscope.

As Sally and I supervised a table full of children one lunch time, the differences between us became immediately obvious. Sally bent tenderly over the little ones, successfully motivating them to eat up using only her voice, a series of non-competitive games, and a small tambourine, rather than the assortment of small firearms I would always assume to be an essential back-up on these occasions.

“I bet she even follows the national curriculum in her sleep,” I muttered, rather louder than I’d intended. Cathy blushed prettily. “You must think I’m a really boring person,” she said. “No,” I lied, “I’m just envious.”

17 comments:

Omega Mum said...

Snufflupagus: I'm just going to say now that this is a deeply tongue in cheek account of my life as a teacher and not in any way intended to upset real, proper and truly brilliant teachers like you. So I hope you won't mind it. But say if you do.

I Beatrice said...

I don't know what to make of this OM! I'm a simple soul you see, and tend to believe what I read. But even I am experiencing severe doubts as to authenticity here - I just don't believe for a moment that you're anything like as bad as you say.

What I believe in fact is that, though Sally might indeed be an excellent teacher, you are probably in your way even better.

But then again, as I said, I'm a simple soul, and could be wrong.

It made very entertaining reading, at any rate.

Omega Mum said...

IB: Pots and kettles...I find it v hard to see you as a simple soul - especially when you create such fabulous characters who are anything but black and white but finely nuanced in shades of grey. But glad you enjoyed it. To be honest, I do have a low opinion of my abilities but I'm still there - so perhaps I'm better than I think. Or just lucky.

Anonymous said...

Being a school volunteer (not clever enough to be a teacher) I see the cordroy come and go and the various breeds of teaching staff. I thought it was part of the job to like the kids, until I became a volunteer ....

Crystal xx

Mya said...

Tongue in cheek? Damn! I thought at last I'd found a kindred spirit.
Kids...Who'd have 'em?
Brilliant post.

Mya x

Stay at home dad said...

Oh pshaw. I'm sure you are one of the committed parents out there.

What is it about children? I have no great affecion for them either, but when I look in their eyes and see that same lost incomprehension that I had, I do take pity on them.

Anonymous said...

I am glad I never met you when I was at school ....

Omega Mum said...

SAHD: But does it work when you see the same look in other adults?

Mutters: Me, too. xxxx

I Beatrice said...

Well, I understand that feeling of self-doubt you describe only too well, of course - there are times when it's positively self-destructive! But even I don't beat myself up (or tear myself down) to quite such an extent as that!

But then I don't have your sharp eye or biting wit either, so it's probably just as well.

I persist in the belief that you are an excellent teacher anyway - and you do write the most original, and entertaining blogs.
So you must be getting something right!

debio said...

I'm not particularly fond of other people's children and all who knew me were speechless when I declared I was pregnant.

This is no 'I have seen the light' comment.

I still don't much care for others children and tend to treat them as older than they are in the vain hope that they could pretend to be adults - many of whom I'm not enamoured with either!

Omega Mum said...

IB: I'm half Jewish, don't forget - and thus entitled to my genetic share of neurosis. It's my birthright.

Debio: Thank God - for a terrible moment I thought you were going to talk about how you opened a playschool called something on the lines of 'Kittens and Rainbows' and learned to love everyone under 5 with a Great Love.

Stay at home dad said...

I think it does actually!

Irene said...

But why did Cathy blush?

Omega Mum said...

Sweet I: Cathy blushed prettily because she was actually Sally, mortified that I'd typed her name wrong. It's that old Singularity at work again, clearly.

SAHD: Think I've got a bit lost here, but I always agree with you anyway.

Iota said...

A small tambourine? What the heck use is that for getting children to eat up? Do you put the sausage bits in it, and flip them into the children's waiting open mouths? Do you rap them sharply on the buttocks with it when they aren't hurrying up enough, hoping that the jingling will cover up their yell so that the neighbours don't hear? Or do you use it as a waste receptacle and put all the uneaten food in it, determined to make music even out of leftovers? No wonder Sally had to change her name mid-post. I would have done too, if I'd had a small tambourine as my main ally in the "eat up your vegetables" conflict zone.

DJ Kirkby said...

Must stop reading, must stop, I am late for work now!

Omega Mum said...

Iota: Mid-blog change of name is probably recognised in some psychology magazine as leading to cyber indentity crises. To be honest, I can't actually remember what the woman's name was, except that it was jolly and loving. And I don't understand the tambourine fixation, either, but there again, what do I know?