Tuesday 12 June 2007

Bad Lindy's pit stop

It's not that Bad Lindy isn't herself without her phone, but that she's several times more of it. God knows what the vet's practice is going through, but the waiting times are said to have declined rapidly.

While she waits for a replacement, she's trying to soothe herself in the magical world of stuff, though so far without noticeable success.

"Look at this!" she says, when I fail to avoid her in the trendy kitchen accessories shop in town. Together with the trendy nail bar, roughly hewn teak table shop and six estate agents, it's sprung up to meet the locals' emergency shopping needs which, amazingly, no longer seem to include food. On the plus side, though, nobody round here is now ever more than six feet from a French manicure.

Bad Lindy is holding up a small, baby blue enamel bucket with a wooden handle. It looks like a miniature milk-maid's accessory but is labelled 'pegs' and clearly comes from the same design stable that made the lucrative decision to appeal to all our inner domestic slaves by repackaging bleach, disinfectant and washing liquid in clear glass bottles with fancy writing on the outside

"What do they think I do - milk the bloody tree for pegs when I've done the washing?" she says, balancing the handle on the top of one, outraged finger, as bucolic a figure as Marie Antoinette on steroids.

"I take it you're not buying, then."

"Buying? I'm off to the chemists. This deodorant they sold me is hopeless. Look at my pits!" Indignantly, she lifts one arm. "I'm going to stand in the shop like this until they give me a refund."

Judging by the now deserted kitchen accessories shop, she shouldn't have to wait very long.

Later, I call Vicky, who is watching as one of her children gamely attempts to pogo through the walls of her newly constructed shed. "It's almost too much fun for one woman to bear," she says.

Bad Lindy's spare man is still sending Vicky pictures of his pants, in situ. In an interesting variation of pass the parcel, they're getting progressively briefer with each text. The most recent consists of a thong so eye-wateringly small and tight that it's just as well he's not in charge of the gift-wrapping at John Lewis, because there'd be a lot of complaints. Depending on exactly what it was you were after, of course. And we're not talking peg pails.

16 comments:

Gwen said...

If it's retainl therapy Bad Lindy needs, what she need to find is a shop selling an assortment of men in various sized underpants. She might never come out.

Nunhead Mum of One said...

I've been following the spare man texts, all very bizarre!

There's a shop in Hastings that sells such twee household accessories (tea towel holders tied with raffia, porcelain pigs holding kitchen utensils and a spoon rest in the lurid shape of a corn on the cob to name but three) that I want to set fire to it every time I pass it.

Omega Mum said...

Gwen: cracking idea. She never would. And if Nunhead mum follows her pyromaniac instincts, we've got the site, too.....

Gwen said...

Excellent - let the plotting begin!

wakeupandsmellthecoffee said...

I think Vicky should post the spare man in pants photos. Or even better, make lithographs out of them ala Andy Warhol.

lady macleod said...

Oh dear. I think Bad Lindy may very well need more than a new deodorant eh? About that pail...

debio said...

I cannot support doing away with Bad Lindy - she is so entertaining. I love to observe people operating without inhibitions - apart from children, of course, who can be such little beasts!

dulwichmum said...

Yes, please encourage your chum to share the photos of the man in the ever decreasing pants! I would love a good laugh.

Omega Mum said...

Dear all: They don't even know I am writing this........Bad Lindy might take badly to be axed - even on a virtual basis. Will try for pants pix, but no promises.

Alda said...

GIVE US PANTS PIX! GIVE US PANTS PIX!

[Ahem. Sorry.]

On a lighter note, I plan to try the armpit-exposure idea the next time I need to return something. It sounds pretty foolproof.

Alda said...

PS thanks for the link. I'm adding you too.

Omega Mum said...

Thanks for link, Alda. Working on pants. If you get my drift.

Motheratlarge said...

Talking of BL's pics, my husband is protesting at my interest in the D&G couple in boat telly ad. "Why do you keep saying blimey every time that comes on," he said this evening. Why would anyone need to ask such a question?

Stay at home dad said...

I can't really picture Bad Lindy sweating over the washing machine... then again...

As an aside, I have to say I loved the Evening Standard headline tonight about the judge and his briefs.

Omega Mum said...

M@L: He's obviously a very sweet and innocent man. Bad Lindy on way now....

StayAHD: I know. It's wonderful, isn't it. And he was found innocent..... Again, Bad Lindy on way now...

I Beatrice said...

You have to hand it to Bad Lindy - nobody's going to put the woman down!

I wish I had some of her - what do they call it? Oh yes, Chutzpah....!