Sunday 10 June 2007

Well on the way to cat overload

When you’re young, eccentricity is endearing, doing your own thing a style statement. Later in life, though, things are different. Opt for individuality and it’s taken for oddness, while refusal to follow the herd is seen as the inevitable first step to lonerdom and all points south, taking in carrier bag hoarding, cat overload and shouting at complete strangers in bus queues en route.

Self-help books aren't much help. They're good at telling you how to be young and lovelorn, and positively inspired when it comes to actually being dead – covering everything from ensuring a dazzling eulogy at your funeral to obtaining probate.

But the fact that I won’t be around to read them at the crucial moment severely limits their usefulness.

No wonder the authors are at a loss. All our lives we’ve been fed images that are big on redemption and happy endings, and then we approach middle age and suddenly it’s like being cast as ‘Ugly Betty’ but without the transformation scene at the end of the series.

What worries me is how I’m going to fit in. Admittedly, fitting in has never been one of my career strengths, but then it’s never mattered before.

People like me are politely known as ‘characters’ This signals the countdown to the moment other mothers scare their badly behaved children witless by threatening to employ me as a babysitter. And there’s no convenient slot we can be squeezed into. Society, let's face it, abhors a misfit almost as much as a vacuum. For infants, the big worry is failure to thrive. For older women, it’s failure to conform.

The problem is that credible role models for older women are thin on the ground. In fact, there are just two.

Model A, the sweet little old lady version, shows no signs of being eased into decent obscurity, despite decades of honourable service as a national cliché. According to folklore she runs on knitting, cups of tea and homemade cake.

Or there's Model B, the Botox brigade, woman in denial about ageing and death and attempting to use super-strength depilatories - the modern alternative to cloves of garlic – to ward them off.

I will, no question, be to either category as Polonium 210 is to lemon drizzle cake.

Take small talk, for example. Most people don’t just accept it, but actively enjoy exploring the nuances of steam irons, say, or seasonal isobar variations.

To me, though, it’s the conversational equivalent of a near-death experience, but without the excitement of the bright lights and men in white coats. And while I haven’t given up on my one-woman crusade to introduce big, interesting life and death topics, the more controversial the better, it does mean I spend most parties deep in political analysis with the hat stand.

God knows, I've attempted to conform. For the first time in my life I recently offered to be on a committee. I wasn’t selected, though. My neighbourhood groans under the weight of so many would-be committee members that I’m convinced they’re being bred in captivity by top scientists and then released into the wild as a state-sponsored joke.

So I’ve run out of things to join, and, truth to tell, there’s little point making the effort. If sweet little old lady or Botox queen are all that’s on offer, I’d almost prefer an early death and reincarnation as a beetle, though I’d bet self-help books for invertebrates are even thinner on the ground than those for middle-aged women.

Where next? Where do eccentric women end up? Or by posting this in Blogland, have I already provided myself with the answer?

25 comments:

snailbeachshepherdess said...

You and me both flower...how about Katherine Tate's version of a gran ...that looks more like me I reckon!

pluto said...

From what I can see here you're doing fantastically without a role model!
Small Talk and Committee-joiners: nicely put on both scores. Though some wonderful people do have the Joining Gene -- it's just a hard thing to understand when you're not one of them.

debio said...

Ah, smalltalk, omega mum; always criticised on career assessments for not enough intro and jumping into the purpose of the meeting too quickly. But isn't life too short for idle chit-chat?
Believe me, omega mum, you do not sound eccentric to me - if the accepted alternative is vacuous conversation, I would prefer to be barking mad...(must confess though to be dedicated to holding back the tide of ageing!)

Gwen said...

I'll bet that most people are secretly in awe of your non-conformity. I'll bet that they would love to be like you but don't have the courage. You stick with it and just be yourself. If you are confident, witty and articulate, which your blog posts seem to indicate that you are, others will eventually see sense and follow your lead.

Am I starting to sound like a self help book? If so I admit I have read the odd 1 or 12.

I Beatrice said...

Oh, but you have it all wrong, Omega Mum! In the first place, little old ladies have been little old ladies all their lives - nothing changes there. And Botox queens were the kids at school who wore the trendiest shoes and the prettiest dresses - and laughed to scorn those other poor unfortunates who did not.

The only thing to know about getting older, is that you never feel a year under thirty five anyway - it's only other people who get hold of the wrong impression.

And in any case, old age is just the best time of all for cultivating eccentricity! Ask any grumpy old woman - she'll tell you.

(Brilliant piece though - well done again!)

Anonymous said...

Individuality is, in my opinion, something to be proud of. If we were all the same we'd be incredibly boring. I think I'd like to employ you as my babysitter please!
Crystal x

Suffolkmum said...

I always thought I'd go for the 2 old ladies on the Harry Enfield show who used to go 'Oh, young man'!! Either that or Catherine Tate's gran.

Omega Mum said...

Thank you all for making me feel almost normal again.
Snailbeach S. Good gran role model

Pluto: Nice to see you here. It is hard, but I'll try to understand if you will, too.

Debio: Your comments would explain a lot about my interview success....

Gwen: On the basis of what you've said, I'd read any self-help book you wrote

IBeatrice: So people don't change is the gist. I'm going to go out now and spot the little old ladies of the future. What should I be looking out for?

CJ: I'm on my way over. Hide the vodka......

Anonymous said...

Great post; I can't think of anything witty to say. Soz.

Are you rich? In my albeit second hand experience, being wealthy and eccentric is quite the thing. Honestly, though, if you feel the urge to join another committee, go to the local animal shelter and rescue a moggy instead. ;)

Motheratlarge said...

I think Blogland is where we end up. A haven for us eccentrics where we can feel understood and accepted. Yes, good point, where are the redemptive/transformative endings for older (I use the term loosely) women? Madame Bovary's hardly much of an inspiration, is she. And Desperate Housewives is, well, just what it says. Thank you for this posting - very thought-provoking, and also reassuring.

Unknown said...

One of my worries for my daugher as she grows up is that I do not want her to turn into a "sheep". I will encourage her at every turn to just be herself and to be very proud of being an individual. I think it's wonderful that you can admit to being different, there's so much pressure these days for every one of us to conform to some boring stereotype or other! Good luck to you!

Omega Mum said...

a) No, Orchidea, I'm not rich. That's not to say I've ditched it as a lifestyle choice - the opportunity just hasn't arisen, so fa. If I were rich, redundancy would not be a severe problem but the chance for us to spend more time together filing our trust fund statements.

b) M-a-L:

Let's start a club!

c) Funky M: don't worry about encouraging your daughter to be herself. If she's anything like me, there really is no choice. I'm encouraging my kids to be someone else nicer, instead.

Anna said...

Hurrah for you and hurrah for eccentric (=interesting) women. Literature tells us that women who are too concerned with conforming get taken advantage of and generally end up dead, while those who take their own route (Becky Sharp, Moll Flanders) have an exciting time of it and generally end up ahead. I know which I'd rather be.

Omega Mum said...

thanks, Anna. Where are you on the pleasingly eccentric scale?

Anna said...

As Jane Austen would say, beyond the line of what is pleasing. Hurrah for me too.

Omega Mum said...

Lovely quote, Anna. Very pleasing to me, anyway. More hurrahs!

Squirmy Popple said...

I love the bit you write about small talk. I agree completely - I'd rather do almost anything else than schmooze. It's deadly.

Given the choice between making small talk with strangers and, say, scraping the mould off my bathroom ceiling, I'd choose the mould.

Mutterings and Meanderings said...

Revel in your eccentricity. I do.

I can hardly wait until I earn the title of eccentric, instead of the: "Yes, but you're a bit weird."

Omega Mum said...

Katie: Save me some of that mould
M&M: I get that weird business, often shouted at me across the street by other mothers, but without the qualification.....

dulwichmum said...

You are a role model, I think you are doing fantastically well.

Alda said...

Re. your last question, I think the answer is a resounding YES.

I refuse to let fear be a motivating factor in my life. If that makes me a 'character' then all the better. And anyway, f*** 'em if they can't take a joke!

Drunk Mummy said...

I find that becoming hard of hearing (or at least pretending to be) helps a great deal. It makes it possible to avoid small talk, and ignore comments from people you really can't be bothered to talk to.

Omega Mum said...

Dulwich Mum. Too kind - depending on what, exactly, I'm a role model to.....

Alda: That's the spirit

DM: So right. Drooling works well, too.

Catherine said...

Just get divorced, then no-one invites you to parties and you can give up small talk for good. You can always retaliate by developing a serious pink bag and earring fetish. Well, that's how I cope with middle age anyway.

Omega Mum said...

Marianne: Did I say anything about being invited to parties? No - I just go. The hosts are always too embarrassed to turn me away.