Friday 22 June 2007

Get ahead - get an enemy

Do you have friend overkill? Think about it. The reason we like friends is because they don't challenge our comfortable way of life. Instead, they cocoon our already woolly thinking, support our fragile egos, justify our false logic and sustain our prejudices.

Appalling over-simplification? I think not. How many of us have paid lip service to the remarkable qualities of the robust acquaintance who tells us exactly what she thinks of our morals, parenting skills or dress sense, knowing full well that two dinner parties later she’ll be quietly dropped in favour of somebody with the less challenging but more socially acceptable ability to white-lie for her country and who, if you announced that you’d deliberately just run down your husband would come up with 20 extenuating circumstances and a couple of alibis before you’d even finished wiping the blood off the bumper.

It's always nice to cuddle up with the Apologistas, their opinions as comfortable and familiar as the contours of an old sofa. “Too many people rush round like puppies wanting everyone to love them,” says one woman of my acquaintance. “You only really grow into yourself when you stop." Her solution? Attain that sought after maturity by acquiring a few enemies. "Where I come from, if you don’t like someone, you tell them,” she says.

In my view, enemies are essential. And I should know. I've got so many I could run a profitable business renting them out for weekends.

But while most men will accept with equanimity the idea that there are some people out there who can't stand them, many women shy away in horror from the notion.

Rationally, though, enemies offer a whole host of benefits. For a start, they keep you on your toes. There’s certainly no room for post-natal porridge thinking when you know somebody’s out to get you.

Find good quality enemies and you’ll spend hours analysing their characters and weaknesses in a way that is positively beneficial to the child-enfeebled brain. And, flatteringly in a perverse sort of way, you know they’ll be doing just the same for you.

The other good news is you don't need to be rich, famous or a character in an Agatha Christie murder mystery to have enemies. There are enough to go round for everyone.

And unless they hate you with sufficient venom to declare you bankrupt or root through your bins to steal your identity, enemies can provide a cost effective and engrossing hobby, offering an emotional workout equivalent to many hours of expensive therapy.

So if you’re now convinced you’d like some enemies, the next problem is where to find them, especially if you’re really, really nice and loved by old and young alike. No problem, particularly if you have children. In their innocent, charming way, kids can start an old-Testament length blood feud with just a few, well-chosen words.

I managed a six-month feud with one woman simply on the strength of my children telling hers, within earshot, that they hated them and planned to beat them to a pulp.

Another mother - Rebecca - invited an unremarkable school gate acquaintance on a long weekend, camping in the woods. The friend did not take well to the lack of routine and became increasingly tight-lipped, blaming Rebecca, initially under her breath, for introducing her children to the louche camping lifestyle of unchanged clothes, unchecked freedom and unenforced bedtimes.

On the final morning, she snapped, and a minor dispute over ownership of the maple syrup escalated into a full scale assault on Rebecca's parenting skills, or the lack of them.

A year on, and Rebecca, who still has to see her every day at the school, has come up with a cunning psychological ploy - creating conflict between the mother and her son by talking to him, instead. 'I reckon she'll be quite mad within the year,” says Rebecca, with the quiet pride of somebody who has achieved a significant life goal.

If making enemies one at a time seems too long-drawn out you can easily go for mass production, thanks to the power of modern communication.

With just one e-mail announcing my resignation from one book group and decision to form another I was able to alienate at least half a dozen people at a stroke, some requiring only a little more work to turn into long-term opponents.

So if you already have enemies, congratulations. Use them or lose them. And if you haven’t, get some. In your life right now there's somebody you don't really like. Today's the day to antagonise them with that throwaway insult that's been welling up inside you for so long.

After all, enemies may be upsetting but they're also challenging, exhilarating and do wonders for your mental powers. And with enemies like that, who, frankly, needs friends?

31 comments:

Drunk Mummy said...

What a great idea - and one which should be backed up with a few national campaigns. How about 'Enemy Aid' or 'Take Your Grudges To Work' day, or even Red Nosed Enemy Day (where you get to punch them in the face).

Anna said...

I love the idea of 'Take Your Grudges To Work' day. Trouble is, I tend to do that every day. And there's so much scope for this kind of activity in the workplace - e.g. through email ('Richard has made a fairly useful point') or appraisal ('Sophie often delivers work of an acceptable standard').
So what is your new improved book group reading?

Omega Mum said...

Drunk Mummy: Those slogans are so slick I can't help feeling you've been mulling this over for a while. Particuarly enjoyed Red Nosed Enemy Day....

Anna: Your workplace sounds like my school reports......We're reading 'The Yacoumi Building' and 'The Lucifer Effect' (Well, I'm reading them both - I think the others have left).

Mz.Elle said...

May I print this out and frame it?
You've just described these last few years of my life.
I have to wonder if I've gained my enemies because, I've come into my true self recently. Or if I've come into my true self recently because, I've made more enemies???

Great post!

Omega Mum said...

ms.l: I suspect it's a normal, healthy development which will do you the power of good - whichever way round it happened. Glad you liked it!

Anna said...

Had to have a quick look on Amazon... I note one reader of 'The Lucifer Principle' has taken away the insight that 'I am thoroughly average and therefore capable of great evil given the right circumstances.' Heavens. My favourite book at the moment is 'The Time Traveler's Wife', which I know is very Richard and Judy of me, but still. 'We Need to Talk About Kevin' is a useful corrective.

Anna said...

PS re school comparison, I would LOVE to put on appraisals 'Neil has made good progress but must learn not to talk when grown-ups are talking' or similar.

Omega Mum said...

Anna: Thanks for correcting me so nicely! It is a very scary book to read but illuminating, too - because that Amazon reader is exactly right. The argument is that it isn't apples that are bad - but the barrels i.e. system. If you're in one where bad things are, if not encouraged, then tolerated, the majority of people will sink into unquestioning acceptance of it. But he also hopes that by talking about it, we become more aware of it. I am not sure how it squares with religious beliefs but it certainly helps me understand why people continue to do such terrible things. There. Sorry for lecture.

Omega Mum said...

Anna PS: Work appraisals in school report style would be a lot of fun. Sucking up to the boss would come in for particularly savage feedback. Go on, you know you want to.......

Omega Mum said...

Anna: You need a blog. You have clearly got a lot to say and I, for one, would like to read it.....

Unknown said...

Great post. I think you have just explained why I have few friends. I'm too busy telling everybody exactly what I think.

But I think you are wrong about men. They in particular hate being told what is wrong with them - especially by a woman - whether their partner, or colleague or friend. Their egos are too big for that.

True friendship is bittersweet. Most people don't get that. And most people don't have real friendships. They have 'fans' who make them feel better about themselves. Ouch. I'm being harsh. But you inspired me - so I hold you responsible!

It isn't enemies one should seek. One should seek true friends. And they are so very hard to find simply because most people are too scared to say what they really think.

Anna said...

Sorry, hadn't realised I was correcting you - bit annoying of me. 'Anna must learn to pipe down on other people's blogs'. The book sounds really interesting - definitely on my list. But your blog remains my favourite essential reading!

lady macleod said...

I was taught as a child that one is judged as much by your enemies as by your friends. I believe you have taken this adage to new heights. I love a woman of passion.

Omega Mum said...

Snuffles: I agree with all of this. And I suspect that you have incredibly strong friendships of the bitter-sweet variety. I'm just not sure I can shake off the 'fan' variety you mention (my comfortable sofa equivalent) just yet.......And could it be that our blog 'friends' are another manifestation of this? Which is why your blog is like a really grown up debate......

Omega Mum said...

Anna: No, I thought you were being diplomatic - something that's almost beyond me. V glad you like the blog.

Omega Mum said...

Lady M: Given what you've said about your childhood, I'd like to know more about the life lessons you were taught....Any chance of a post on the topic?

Stay at home dad said...

This was a feeble post and all the comments were rubbish.

Any good?

Bill Blunt said...

I know someone who, at the age of 102, hasn't an enemy in the world.

But that's only because she's outlived them...

I LOVE your posts, by the way!

Omega Mum said...

SAHD: It's great - terse and to the point but I was thinking more of a gradual build up to open hostilities....Still, like your style.

Thomas H. And did she still have any friends - or had she outlived them too?

merry weather said...

Omega Mum - I'm still with you - you're definitely a woman on the edge or an edgy woman - not sure which but ... Respect!

Omega Mum said...

Merryweather: Both, probably......But planning to teeter on the brink for as long as possible.

Anonymous said...

I can certainly see your point about making enemies through kids. I've blogged today about similar circumstances except the mother of the child involved is a lovely caring woman who couldn't make an enemy if she tried. Haven't a clue what went wrong really.
I know what I mean anyway!

Omega Mum said...

CJ: I'll go and read it in a minute, but I think I know what you mean, too!

debio said...

Brilliant, omega mum, simply brilliant.
I am definitely not an acquaintance type of person - people either like me or not. Suits me fine as that's the way I feel. Possible to have endless fun with people who so patently don't like you but want to be liked so much they don't say so.

Omega Mum said...

Debio: Do you think that's why we're all so brilliant at blog relationships? Overcomes all those problems?

Motheratlarge said...

Have just lost someone I considered a friend after I had the temerity to mention to her that her four-year-old son appeared to have scratched my 14-month-old daughter. So I can identify strongly with this posting! I wouldn't say mother-of-Damian is now my enemy - but let's just say some bookclub dynamics are coming into play in a big way.

Unknown said...

Blog friends are the best. So funny to be friends with people you don't know, have no idea what they look like, don't even know that much about them but gradually get to know more. I love it. I'm new to it so I find it strange - but really really enjoying it!

Mutterings and Meanderings said...

I am a grudge-holder, and am very choosy about whom I like. Dunno about having enemies though - it requires passion to be enemies with someone and sometimes, I think, I just can't be bothered!

Omega Mum said...

M@L. Consider yourself lucky to have lost her as a friend now. From experience, the nastiness would simply have increased over the years. Mothers either accept their childrens' shortcomings or don't - it's as clear cut as that. Stick with the ones who do......

Snuffles: Hear hear to every word

M&M: Grudges are good. What's your personal best for bearing one? I can do years, if necessary.

Mutterings and Meanderings said...

OM, I can certainly do years - I have grudges going back to being a teenager.

The problem is, is someone crosses me, in future whenever I think of them, that will be the first thing I think about (ie, the thing they did to pee me off!)

Omega Mum said...

M&M: That's not a problem. Well, I hope it's not, anyway, because if so, it's one I share. It's just honest sentiment which shows what a cracking memory you've got.