Wednesday 27 June 2007

Publish and be damned. Or splifficated

An encounter between Bad Lindy and Cultured Mummy is a rare event, but one which is always keenly anticipated.

Cultured Mummy tends by inference alone - she rarely has to resort to anything as explicit as overt superiority - to occupy the moral high ground, to the point where most of us assume that if Cath Kidston ever launched a range of pastel-sprigged tents with a be-moraled motif, Cultural Mummy would have hers parked on the topmost peak, virtual steam issuing from the decorative kettle atop the solar-powered living flame effect camp fire.

If Bad Lindy were even aware that a moral highground existed, she'd be well on the way to using it as an off-road motor-yomping track for her 4x4, or having it bulldozed to improve the view.

Cultured M's name is Ra, short for Alexandra. It's not Bad Lindy's favourite type of name, combining poshness and silliness to an equal degree.Today, she arrives at Vicky's house bearing gifts for the kids and a broad smile.

"They're healthy - loads of fruit," she says to Vicky, handing a carrier bag to the eldest with a large wink.

The children disappear at top speed.

"Saw Ra today," says Bad Lindy. "Guess what she was doing?"

It's hard to know. Publically guillotining non-composting enemies of the people and having them recycled as flip-flops? Whipping up biscuits for the school fair that despite their no-fat, no-salt, no-sugar, no-gluten content are beloved by every child for miles around and sell out in minutes?

"No idea," says Vicky.

"I'll give you a clue," says Bad Lindy. "It makes her look like a complete tit."

"Almost anything, then...."

"Nordic walking."

I guess everyone's been there. The moment when the friend you admire, who knows little boutiquey places which treat you as if you're at least semi-human, reads the book as well as the reviews and can name the Iraqi Prime Minister - look, I never said my standards were that high - does something so manifestly aberrant that your friendship tilts alarmingly on its axis. Thus with Cultured Friend Ra.

"She said she was doing it in a group, it was wonderful and she'd never found exercising so painless yet effective. I said that at a distance all those waving sticks made them look like the invasion of the giant insect women from Planet Zog."

"I bet she took it as a compliment," says Vicky.

"She said she'd borrowed the poles to start with, but now she'd just had to dash out and get her own set."

"I said the only reason women bought poles was if they planned career in uphill waltzing in a club. She ignored me - but I don't think she could hear through the funny hat."

They both sigh.

"C***," they chorus together.

There's the sound of running steps and a child appears. "Mum," it says, "Lizzie's just thrown up."

Vicky looks suspiciously at Bad Lindy. "What did you give them?"

"A few Bacardi Breezers is all. Like I said when I arrived, there's virtually nothing in them except fruit. All that Vitamin C is good for them."

"You're going to come upstairs and help clean up. Then you're going to stay while I tell them what I think about drinking Bacardi Breezers."

"They're lucky," says Bad Lindy. "At their age all we had was cider. Kids. They just don't know they're born."

Judging by the sounds upstairs, not only do Vicky's kids know they're born, but they're rather wishing they weren't.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nordic walkers are a pestilence here in a relentlessly outdoors-y, ruddy middle-age spreadish way. I wish they wouldn't make me splutter and split my sides so. It hurts.

Drunk Mummy said...

I reckon the attraction of nordic walking is subliminal - all that marching is uncomfortably close to goosestepping. You can see why certain people are attracted to it.

Anonymous said...

Is it anything like tantric sex ???

Kev

Anonymous said...

Thanks for a good laugh!!
Crystal xx

Gwen said...

I have to admit that I know a few people who walk with those pole things. I've never understood the point. The one time I tried it I was coming down a mountain, slipped and got stuck as the pole was firmly wedged into the ground and my hand was twisted around the handle bit and the bit that goes round your wrist. It was very funny but I won't be using one again.

Alda said...

I never knew they were called Nordic walkers! Here in the Nordic countries we just call them 'walkers'.

Incidentally - do you ever run after Ra and yell: Ra!Ra!Ra!

I would.

Motheratlarge said...

Good to see Bad Lindy goes from strength to strength, powered by raucous (not solar) energy and, presumably, a few of those Bacardi Breezers she kept back. Cultured friend's nicely observed. Where we would any of us be sans Cath Kidston. Most enjoyable.

Catherine said...

I've just waved my youngest off to a post GCSE party. Wish I could be a fly on the wall, so I could see what he's drinking. Apparently it doesn't end til Saturday lunchtime.

I'm tryiing not to worry.

DJ Kirkby said...

Would you go get yourself an agent already?! You should be getting paid for this stuff! Change the names and hold two fingers up at accusations of slanderous libel cases!

Mutterings and Meanderings said...

Cider? That's fruit too! Did you hear about the report today that reckons it's actually rather good for you?

debio said...

What is Nordic walking, omega mum?
I am so out of the loop - sounds as though you need snow so could I be forgiven please?

This blog is soo funny - compliments my fourth glass of wine admirably......(daughter has several friends here on sleepover so need some fortification).

Omega Mum said...

Drunk Mummy: And they do it in groups. Case proven

Kev: Just like tantric sex except you're walking with poles in a group.

CJ: My pleasure.

gwen: I thought maybe everyone out there did it. Such a relief you don't

Alda: I tried. She turned round and said,"Actually, I used to hear all those sorts of things from teenagers when I was at school."
So I stopped.....

M&L: Is there a Cultured Mummy in your life?

Marianne: How terrifying. You sound so brave. I feel a post coming post-Saturday

dj: thanks for cheering comments.

M&M: Well, I know what the children are getting on their cereal at breakfast tomorrow....

Debio: It seems to be some super-strength walking where you power along with poles, one in each hand, vigorously exercising them, too, and thus making them the ideal exercise for the super mum. They always travel in groups, because they think it makes them look less like nutters. They're wrong, as it happens.

Stay at home dad said...

And DJ knows what she's talking about, you know.

I'm with Lindy - Ra sets my teeth on edge...

Omega Mum said...

Thanks, SAHD. It's hugely enjoyable, isn't it, though...?