Friday 29 June 2007

Declining years

"I never believed my mother when she said she used to be lovely and tall," says the woman in the charity shop, to the shy volunteer beside her. The volunteer blushes and says nothing. She is studying her hands. They are large and red, with grime all round the edges of the nails.

"But I'm doing it too," the woman continues. "Shrinking. My niece measured me. I used to be 5' 8". Now I'm only 5' 6". Well, maybe 5' 6 1/2."

There's a pause. It's impossible not to listen.

"What I don't understand is why my trousers are still long enough. I must be concertina-ing down from the top."

Now it's impossible not to look and, despite myself, I'm gaping at her, holding a pair of easily soiled, baby blue sheepskin gloves that I'm half thinking of buying.

"Mind you," she adds, "Everybody looks tall when you're sitting down."

Now we look at ourselves.

The assistant, overcome either amusement or nerves, is stuffing alternate hands into her mouth.

"Oh, you're interested in the gloves? They fitted Susan perfectly. Go on Susan. Put them on and show the lady."

Susan reluctantly extracts a hand and reaches out for the gloves. She's succeeded in distributing the grime more evenly and her hands glisten very slightly with damp. I don't really want her to do a glass slipper thing with the gloves, but can't say no for fear of causing offence.She crams her hands into the gloves with every appearance of mortification. Her fingers bulge up under the seams. She looks briefly triumphant, then hands them back to me. They are not the gloves they once were.

"Taking those gloves?" says the woman."I would. They're a bargain. And if they look nice on Susan...."

Susan looks less than happy. Buying the gloves may be the coward's way out, but I can't bear the thought of giving offence by saying 'no' to the gloves.

"Soon," says the woman, "You'll be able to carry me round in a backpack."

Susan looks at her, and I can't wondering if she's hoping that the backpack will be attached to the back of a giant lemming on its way, full pelt, to a handy local cliff.

12 comments:

Stay at home dad said...

Very well-observed. I always enjoy the way they make you go the extra yard for your donations. "Thank you so much. You don't mind carrying it round the back do you? And pricing it perhaps? And doing a few minutes behind the till while I have a well-deserved-cup-of-tea...?"

Omega Mum said...

SAHD: Thanks, and especially for overcoming the feeling that I had, as I wrote this, that I was going slightly mad. I took a notebook out as she was speaking but fortunately she didn't notice.....

debio said...

Reminds me of when we were packing to come here and I took much of my daughter's early years toys to a charity shop - we were lugging box after box of fabulous kit in to the back of the shop, watched gleefully by the volunteers....
I cam away wondering whether any of it would reach the shelves 'front of house'!

Omega Mum said...

Debio: If you're that way inclined, there are so many opportunities to exercise a tiny bit of power over others, aren't there......?

Anonymous said...

I've supplied my chosen charity with so much stuff these past 12 months I think I keep them going. Or up in the air. One charity shop I took my stuff to about two years ago, still had my bags unpacked in their back room six months later. I didn't bother going back.

Anna said...

Oh, I do sympathise - I hate people messing with things that are yours or that you want to buy - I have an annoying habit of never buying the product at the front of the shelf, but always going for one behind, for this very reason. I would have been less noble and not have bought the gloves...

Omega Mum said...

CJ: I think Freecycle is probably the way forward. It's a wonderful thing.

Anna: You are, indeed, brave. Round here, I think all the charity shop people do a course in expressing hurt. They're brilliant at it.

DJ Kirkby said...

I loved this post, don't know why just loved it. You made me feel as if I was lurking nearby, perhaps exchanging the occasional glance with you, our eyebrows raised in amusment.

Omega Mum said...

DJ: What a lovely comment. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

I have a house full of treasures that I wouldn't want to part with so I give the charities that I support a monthly amount of money.

My wife however says the house is full of my CRAP. I just don't listen secure in the knowledge that one day I will need that or better still it will be worth something.

Must be the female mind, absolutely fails to see the beauty in the dissected guts of numerous computers.They definitely must be from a different planet.

Kev

Unknown said...

I've always hated being 5'9. Now I don't think it is so bad...

Omega Mum said...

Kev:One wife's crap is another man's - no, that doesn't seem to be working out. Love from Planet Zog.

Snuffles: Relish it.......