Thursday 7 June 2007

What I did on my training day

Take an empty gym hall, 20 smiley, enthusiastic primary school teachers and a workship on music and movement and what have you got? A recipe for hell, or, as the workshop co-ordinator would undoubtedly refer to it, "'H - E -L - L,' - and don't forget to enunciate clearly. What a great opportunity to reinforce those letter sounds, everyone!"

As we arrive at the school hosting the event, droves of little girls are emerging, the weedier ones struggling with blazers so lavishly embellished with secondary stitching that the sheer weight of the embroidery could easily pile-drive them into the ground.

Before the course begins, we get a compulsory tour of the school. The head introduces us to her all-female staff. All are blond and enormous, display a great deal of decolletage and seem to have taken the term 'foundation stage' very much to heart when it comes to make-up, never mind the curriculum.

The tour is meant to impress, with each increasingly ambitious activity - French and ballet for tinies, cookery andtailored gym sessions for everyone, prefaced by the remark, "....but I'm sure it's the same everywhere," although, judging by the increasingly stupefied looks on the faces of her audience, it quite obviously isn't. The walls are crammed with the children's work: "I like reading books with information. My favourite book is the Atlas," Aimee, 6, writes in perfect, joined up
letters.

The invitation mentions the need for comfortable clothing, which is interpreted by the guests to mean pink sparkly tops worn over leotards, tailored jackets, big, fussy belts and leather gilets with elaborate beading.

Then the course begins with the chilling words, "Make a lovely big circle and hold hands." I search for an escape route, but the door is firmly closed. We walk first to the left, then to the right, singing the words of the first song, "Mrs Bunny," during which we are encouraged to point to our noses, wiggle our toes, and show off our long, long ears. I think leaping up and down and winking with one eye comes into it somewhere as well, though by this time I am in a sort of trance of horror and unable to take in most of it in.

Next, we choose a partner and, arm in arm, perform various manoeuvres. "Very good for encouraging collaborative work!", shouts the instructor, as we hop, bump hips and then parade round for the creative part, which involves choosing what creature we want to be and then being it while going forwards,backwards and sideways, still in pairs.

Next we play air guitar ("Now's your chance, girls!") high, low, quickly and, unsurprisingly, slow. But that's not the end of it. In quick succession we also play air piano, air trumpet and air drums. "Great for sound discrimination," shouts the coordinator. But most of the teachers aren't even listening. I have a horrible feeling that this is the most fun they've had for ages, or possibly ever. While I shrink back against the wall, clinging to the climbing frame ("Great for empathising with borderline personality disorders, girls!" is the cry that should go up, but doesn't), the others are bright-eyed, red-cheeked and whooping with delight as they
career round the hall. Such is their excitement that when the moment comes to choose a leader to stand in the middle of the circle, the rush to get there first, accompanied by cries of, "ME, ME, ME!" almost results in a nasty accident.

The final part involves sitting down and playing some small drums. There aren't quite enough to go round. "If you don't have a drum, you've got a pretty good percussion instrument with your body," says the instructor, patting herself rhythmically all over. "I'll use my knees as my drums." Enthusiastically everyone else joins in.

Later on, I give one of the other teachers a lift to the station. "That was great," she says. "Sometimes you really need something like that to stop getting stale." It's a safe bet, however, that even if I grow so stale that I am covered in green mould, I will never, ever need something even remotely like that ever again.

31 comments:

snailbeachshepherdess said...

Hello...its only me...just popped in to say thank you for your comment on my 'removing skelly from cupboard' exercise. Why are you here all alone? Come into the Purple coo skool for wayward mothers, untended gardens and delinquent pets...You would enjoy the banter ... I can tell from your blogs..
Take care

debio said...

OMG - a living Hell....well done for getting through.
Perhaps I have a personality disorder; an aversion to throwing myself into embarrassing situations et al.

I Beatrice said...

It seems to me I've seen something very like that on an old Joyce Grenfell show:

"Stately as two galleons,
they waltzed around the floor..."

Only in your case it seems to have been acrobatics, not ballroom dancing. You're one very brave lady to have gone through with it though OM - for whatever purpose!

I Beatrice said...

I have just remembered the full text of that Joyce Grenfell song:

"And, stately as two galleons
We sailed around the floor
Doing the military two-step
As in the days of yore....."

I'm sure your training day wasn't a bit like that though!

More the sort of thing you'd see if my Pamela et al (and myself, come to that!) were to take up gymnastics..

Blossomcottage said...

That was so funny, I can just imagine you and I agree go mouldy do not do it again!! but I am sure once day you will look back and think that perhaps you were better for the experience even if only to have ajolly good laugh.
BLOSSOM
p.s I think it should be 3 kids BIG JOB!!

Anonymous said...

That circle certainly sounds frightening. One of my pet hates; joining hands with someone I've never met. Sounds like a day to remember! Crystal x

Omega Mum said...

Thank you all for your comments. Snail Beach - I'll a look at the purple paradise....

Debio/Crystal Jigsaw: My sentiments exactly - but I didn't have a choice. The school I teach at made me go and even provided me with another teacher as a minder

I Beatrice: I love that Joyce G. song. I would have hated doing it just as much, though.

Blossom Cottage: Fortunately, knowing it was funny - even at the time - was the only thing that got me through.

Anonymous said...

Another world - a world of teachers called Miss Phyllis and Miss Nora, resplendent in long red knickers that reach almost to their knees, and which the children can glimpse when they bend over to pick up a propelling pencil.
Like my old primary school, in fact, and not a bit like the one my children go to.

Omega Mum said...

Oh, my God, Beta Mum. Well, forewarned is forearmed. There's probably a long, red knicker training day to go with them....

Anonymous said...

Oh God. The cringe-potential is limitless. Let's grow mould together.

Omega Mum said...

Orchidea: It wouldn't have been so bad if the others hadn't all been enjoying it so much. Mutual mould it is, then.

Anonymous said...

I've met the sort. The kind that could do with a healthy dose of megad*k.

Omega Mum said...

I'll check it out next time, Orchidea, and let you know if you're right......

merry weather said...

H-E-L-L.....! Cringing with embarrassment ! Was it recorded ?? You could earn a fortune selling DVDs of this....

Omega Mum said...

If I'd seen a camera anywhere around, I'd have bitten through the locks if that had been the only way of getting out. So, in reply, it would be a 'no'. Sorry.

Gwen said...

And I thought that our training sessions were bad. This is quite frightening. One wonders if they had organised the training course for the pupils, arrived at the school, realised their mistake and then thought "Oh well, the teachers won't mind getting a childlike training."

countrymousie said...

Just found you via Crystal's blog - hope you dont mind - really enjoyed your blog - yes join us all in purpleland - you would fit in a treat. regards mousie

Omega Mum said...

Gwen: No, it was the real thing. There was even a flyer for it. Perhaps it's only this bad if you teach music.....I just don't know.

Country M: Sounds great and thanks for the invitation - how do I do it, and what's involved?

dulwichmum said...

I hate, hate, hate training days. How very dare they compel us to do this rubbish. I remember once that myself and colleagues were forced by a charasmatic (charasmaniac more like) American lady, to stand in a circle, turn sideways and sit on eachothers knees...

OHMYGOD...

These people need a good kicking. Well done for surviving.

Omega Mum said...

Charasmaniac is very good, DM - and absolutely spot on. Why do they all over emote?

Drunk Mummy said...

Did you keep thinking that Jeremy Beadle was about to appear any minute?

Omega Mum said...

Believe me, even Jeremy Beadle would have been too embarrassed for us to put in an appearance.

Anonymous said...

They are all obviously insane... could you have shouted for helpfrom a window?

Tai said...

I'd comment, but I, too am in a "trance of horror".
(THAT was very funny!)

OH! And good luck on your recovery.

Omega Mum said...

Mutley: It was in a school hall in a playground. Nobody would have heard me and the trainer would have set my screams to music in any case.

Tai: Glad you liked it (despite trance). Thanks for visiting.

Stay at home dad said...

Great, absolutely great, OM. An amalgam of the horror that is childhood music & movement and parental boogie mites.

Omega Mum said...

Thanks SAHD. I'm probably the only person not to know - but what is a parental boogie mite and can you catch them from blogging?

KarenO said...

Oh my. Straight out of a nightmare! I hate those training days. Fortunately they are few and far between since I started teaching Computer Literacy and Natural Science. But when they happen it is painful to say the least!

Omega Mum said...

KarenO - do training days get worse than this? Oh, my God..

Stay at home dad said...

It's not dangerous for most people, but careful if you're pregnant. It was the local Tumble Tots (I think). I'm not sure whether the event or the pun is worse...

Omega Mum said...

SAHD: Oh, I get it. Thanks for the explanation - and caution.