Wednesday 20 June 2007

Pulling out the stops

Goodness but Megadik has loyal employees, prepared to sacrifice everything in their quest to prove total product efficacy. Today it's the turn of lovely Leila L. Bledsoe to tell us that she, too, is endowed with a piano-sized member.

She also adds that chicks no longer laugh at her in toilets. I fear this is because they are simply too amazed and possibly rather scared. Or she's been on too many farm open days.

Should I try to alert her? Or is she better off living in blissful ignorance?

Blissful ignorance would certainly be better than the bizarre attempts at communication I experience on a train today. Bored with the mindless predictability of commuter travel, the soft-voiced announcer is doing the journey in reverse order to the passengers.

As she ignores all the stations still to come in favour of those long since past, imploring us to mind the doors, keep our luggage close and never, but never, travel without a valid ticket, I feel increasingly that I'm with a descendant of Hal, the robot in '2001, A Space Odessey'. Summary of plot: 'Computer says no.'

When she runs out of lyrical descriptions of stations we will never see again, at least on this trip, the announcer fills her idle moments by warning us that pigeons sometimes board the train and should on no account be encouraged with gifts of money. Their guitars get stuck in the doors, too.

The sense that everyone else is living in a more exciting, parallel universe is heightened later that evening when I listen to a short story on the radio. It talks about a little courtyard, filled with dappled sunshine and shaded by..........daschunds.

Is it hearing problems, mental health problems - or just wishful thinking?

13 comments:

Stay at home dad said...

I think you've been reading too much Haruki Murakami...

Omega Mum said...

OK, SAHD, you win. I have never heard of him - but I'm going to check him out right not. I take it that magic realism/parallel universes feature.....I love blogger book clubs

lady macleod said...

so...uh...is..so ..I ..is my head exploding again? Let me pull out the MRI and review those films...on second thought love - have you had your head checked lately? The sound of one woman going bonkers, or...it could be "them".

Mutterings and Meanderings said...

She soudns as if she is from the same place I keep getting emails, which promise: "She will love you like no other woman," which would be nice - if I were that way inclined ...

Anonymous said...

Mr Haruki Murakami was a genital piercing expert and kite designer for your info Ms.Mum. I think an active imagination is a good thing.. I seem to live in a preferable parallel universe...

Drunk Mummy said...

Dear Omega mum - surely you must have realised that once you have children (gawd bless 'em) everyone else DOES live in a more exciting parallel universe!

Stay at home dad said...

Yes.. and a touch of the surreal for good measure.

Omega Mum said...

Lady M: The dachshunds were especially surprising. But it's a bit like James Thurber when he was losing his vision and kept seeing small admirals blowing up into the wind - it was really newspaper. Does anyone read James Thurber any more?

M&M: So at least I'm not imagining Megadik. One down......

Mutley: Just one more definition and we can play 'Call My Bluff'

Drunk Mummy: That's the killer truth, isn't it?

SAHD: Thanks. Will be on Amazon to get some. Unless Mutley's version has taken over, in which case will have all Christmas presents sorted, too.

snailbeachshepherdess said...

Hello again ..have been trying very hard to leave comments but couldn't even get them to stick for some reason. Love the blogs ...have got a friend that is the dead ringer for Big Lindy...tisn't the same one is it?

DJ Kirkby said...

I. Am. So. Confused! Perhaps I should have had less children... or perhaps I havent had enough?!

Omega Mum said...

Snailbeach: I am afraid there have been sightings of Bad Lindy everywhere. I think global warming may be the cause.

DJ: No, it's me. No more hallucenogenic happenings. Back to only marginally surreal things. Sorry.

debio said...

My husband is continually sent spam exhorting him to make his equipment larger - but I am perfectly happy.
Does this mean he is secretly unhappy and seeking a miracle cure or that I am easily pleased?
No answers required; I wish to remain in blissful ignorance and satisfaction....
(Another great blog btw)

Omega Mum said...

Debio: I am quite certain he is perfect in every direction......