Monday 9 July 2007

All badged up

The childen are out doing socially useful things.

As Deborah is presented with a friendship badge for inviting a mate to Beavers, I'm overcome with envy. Where are the badges for my sterling contributions to motherhood?

There's 'Drunk' - well, I'd sail through that, though seeing straight enough to sew on the badge might be a problem - 'Shrieker' (demonstrations a speciality) and 'Shirker' - PTA cake sale testimonials available on application.

Leo, meanwhile, spends a day doing sports in bite-sized chunks. The structure, 40 minutes per activity, could have been designed with the hyperactive child in mind.

He flirts with rugby, revisits his old love, football and essays cricket, all topped and tailed with a good run.

As we drive home, I asked him how the day went. "I hurt my hamstring and learned a new song," he volunteers.

"Would you like to sing it to me?" I ask, imagining something with a suitably boisterous outdoor theme - rude, rough, and indubitably masculine.

"OK," says Leo. He clears his throat with some preliminary giggles and we're away.

Sung to the tune of 'This old man', it goes:

'I like drugs, drugs like me
Crack cocaine and ecstacy
With a sniff, sniff here and a jab, jab there
Now I'm in intensive care.'

Is this proof that the government's pro-fitness, anti-drugs message is getting through? Or exactly the opposite?

And what sort of Beaver's badge would I get for singing it with him second time round, beating time on the steering wheel? Say what you will, but I reckon that 'Irresponsible' is definitely in the bag.

Coming soon: The Dangerous Book for Mothers.

11 comments:

Drunk Mummy said...

I wouldn't fret too much. Despite years of singing my intentions to do so, I have never:
a) saluted to the captain
b) curtseyed to the queen
I have however shown my knickers to the football team on several occasions, but I don't want to go into that right now.

Omega Mum said...

I suppose one out of three is a good record - but on that basis Leo's presumably straight on to the Methodone.

Alda said...

I wouldn't worry about Leo. The message will sink in subliminally and he'll be terrified of flu shots and baking powder for the rest of his life.

Omega Mum said...

Thanks, Alda. Little squares of shoe polish are another occupational hazard.....

Alda said...

Well, as long as you hide the rolling papers, I guess ...

I Beatrice said...

You could always compose a second verse for him I suppose. One that would de-glamourise and turn the joke on its head...

Or am I just being over-cautious here?

Omega Mum said...

IB: What would Mr Porteous do, I ask myself?

Omega Mum said...

Alda: Good thinking.

Anonymous said...

How delightfully subversive! A kindred soul! Whichever badge you ultimately do get, make sure it's one you can iron on.

Omega Mum said...

Orchidea: Baden Powell didn't believe in ironing when little women were gagging to get out their workbaskets and use cordinating thread at all times.

I Beatrice said...

Mr Porteous would look at you very hard indeed, I fear.

But then what would he know about it? His kids, like mine, having grown up just BEFORE all this sort of thing became a problem.

(For which I personally say TG!, I must add.)